Sponsored

Oil change frequency, dealer told me DO NOT use service required alert?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably do my first oil change at 3k miles. I'm at 1,200 miles now. After that, at least 5k intervals.
That's what I've done with my new cars for years Mark. So far, so good. I grew up when oil changes were every 3K miles. I doesn't matter what anyone says, I cannot go 10K miles on an oil change, syn blend or not. :)
Sponsored

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
That's what I've done with my new cars for years Mark. So far, so good. I grew up when oil changes were every 3K miles. I doesn't matter what anyone says, I cannot go 10K miles on an oil change, syn blend or not. :)
Amen, brother. I was always every 3k as well and many times even fewer miles with cars I was racing. I think 5-6k is a good balance of modern tech and traditional thinking.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
6k ish. penzoil full synth. and a mopar filter.
did 6k ish on my cobalt all its life and its performed just fine. save for some oil consumption now.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
55 year old guy here. Have owned more cars than I can count from high mileage Porsches in my younger days to Jeeps to Tundras to Mustang GTs to Lexus RC350’s plus Harleys, crotch rockets, etc and on all have used common sense oil change intervals from the 80’s where it was every 3K to the 7k+ on the Lexus and Infiniti sports cars I had last 10 years before Jeep bug bit again. I have never ever had any engine issues where the warranty and oil came into play. Nor have I known anyone who blew a motor in a similar vehicle. Can it happen. Yes. Does it happen frequently with newer vehicles. No. I change the Jeep every 5k and sleep fine at night. Fluids are cheap insurance but all the debate on it just kills me. Not like we’re racing and running 100 octane fuel here. I’d be real curious if anyone on here knows of anyone who has somehow blown a JL motor in regular use. Meaning not trying to go across a pond n sucked water into their motor. Lol. Cheers.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Do some research on places not selling or endorsing K&N and you'll soon discover they are one of the biggest scams out there save for the fact you can clean them and reuse over and over again. They generally seal poorly, pass way more crap than the OEM filter and do not flow any better, or at least provide any more air than your engine needs. I used to believe they were great, not anymore; my intakes always had a black powdery fine soot in them when using K&N that completely went away when I didn't. I always wondered why, started researching them and was surprised what I saw.
This is getting depressing, what is the best air filter on the market? Depressing that K&N doesn't dispute this post.

Sponsored

tinymay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'82 Scrambler and 2020 Wrangler JL
There was a time my mind was wrapped around the old 3,000 mile oil change routine. Maybe back in the 70s-80s that might have been the way but after 351,000 miles on my old truck, i have proven you can go a good bit farther.

My average change is roughly 7-8000 and usually right in the same week as the tires getting rotated. Been working out very well doing both on same schedule.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This is getting depressing, what is the best air filter on the market? Depressing that K&N doesn't dispute this post.
K&N gives you what you pay for. More airflow. But they don't talk much about what you give up, which is filtration. On a road going car, that doesn't go off-road or into dusty areas, they can be fine. I've seen cars with 200k on them that ran K&N's that were properly maintained. But in a Jeep that ventures beyond parking lots and roads, air flow is less a concern than filtration. They'd be foolish to argue superior filtration. But that's not what their customers are really looking for. The problem is that they don't say much about it at all. I have heard guys argue until they are blue in the face that K&N offers better filtration, even though I don't think they make that claim.

Bottom line. If you are in a dusty area or go off-road, stay away from cloth filters. That's the safe, wise advice. Stick with paper. If not sure which one, go Mopar. Its specs came from the engineers who designed your Jeep and they are off-roaders. The chief designer, Mark Allen, is 100% an off-roader. He knows about this, as do the powertrain engineers.

Everything about the JL/JT intake was designed with off-roading in mind, both in terms of dust and also preventing water intrusion. It is a solid design, and superior to any Wrangler/CJ before it.

Just a side note: From a Stellantis engineer who designed the Pentastar: Cloth filters and cold air intakes are virtually worthless in gaining horsepower over the stock 3.6 setup. At best you might get 3hp, but you can get that with a temperature drop of 10 degrees or running premium gas. It isn't enough to notice. And you lose filtration. What you gain is good looks and sound. He said the factory air intake was designed to get the most out of the engine, but with good NVH. They are FAR better at maximizing power than they used to be and they used expensive equipment to engineer it that nobody in the aftermarket could dream of affording.

One nice thing about the K&N is that if you like it, you can replace it with a paper filter when you go offroad. The Mopar CAI offers the same ability and an actual vent at the side of the hood that helps with cold air. That said, the factory ducting brings cold air right into the engine compartment, too. Just not as directly.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
i would definitely change dealership. She has no clue. They can not void your warranty. They can void your warranty by not doing oil changes when the interval comes up. If you do your own maintenance you need to keep accurate records that included the date, mileage performed., material used, and receipts. A simple spread sheet helps. I have set up,my spreadsheet that includes that information plus the requirement from the service manual. To save the receipt I take a picture or
sacn it in and paste it into the spreadsheet.

I have to check the my Jeep site for the new JL. To see if I can add the main ten e performed as I was able to add it there for my JK. It would allow you to bring it up on your phone if the dealer asked about it.

The Stealership doesn’t makes money selling the vehicle as most Jesper know (most get the deep discount). They make it in service. They don’t make money on warranty. So whenever you go in for warranty they will try to deny if it is something related to the maintenance

The oil they use for there service department is purchased in 55 gallon drums. When you go there how do you know if they are using oil certified to the the Mopar MS-6395 oil standard? There are only a few that are certified. Mobil 1 is not. How do,you know that the teenager who is doing oil changes actually used synthetic oil instead of Synthetic Blend, or even conventional oil? Unless you are next to the oil drums that should be marked and see it put in the container and then put in the Jeep.

I you read the warranty you just have to do the maintenance when it is due.
I do my own maintenance and never had an issue with warranty.
I’ve yet to see any mention in the owners manual or warranty manual that states warranty is void if not serviced by a dealership.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Everything about the JL/JT intake was designed with off-roading in mind, both in terms of dust and also preventing water intrusion. It is a solid design......

......the factory ducting brings cold air right into the engine compartment, too. Just not as directly.
Just so you know, that little air scoop also does a fantastic job of channeling the water up into an area thats easy for the air-box intake to suck water in during water crossings.
At least thats what my wet air filter told me after last trip out and why I now have a snorkel waiting to be installed

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you know, that little air scoop also does a fantastic job of channeling the water up into an area thats easy for the air-box intake to suck water in during water crossings.
At least thats what my wet air filter told me after last trip out and why I now have a snorkel waiting to be installed
I've not had that happen in the dozen or so water crossings I've done. Maybe take a look and see if something is amiss.

It might be easy to block off, too, when off-road? Maybe a magnet sheet piece to cover the hole at the bottom? Or stick a rag in it?

I've gone just fast enough to make a bow wave, but no faster than necessary. I'm paranoid because I watched a Hummer H1 hydrolock his engine in Spring Creek in Houston, Tx once. It made a significant $$$$$$ sound!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I have a friend who worked for a Saturn/Saab/Isuzu dealership. The garage would let the mechanics do their own oil changes for free and NOT ONE of them would use the oil from the dealership... I'm not saying that would be the case everywhere, but the dealership insisting on anything for your vehicle is a business decision, not a quality decision.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I've not had that happen in the dozen or so water crossings I've done. Maybe take a look and see if something is amiss.

It might be easy to block off, too, when off-road? Maybe a magnet sheet piece to cover the hole at the bottom? Or stick a rag in it?

I've gone just fast enough to make a bow wave, but no faster than necessary. I'm paranoid because I watched a Hummer H1 hydrolock his engine in Spring Creek in Houston, Tx once. It made a significant $$$$$$ sound!
Nothing was amiss, the cold air scoop in the grill will guide the water up near the air-box intake then the suction from the engine can suck it right in.
And I only go just fast enough through water to create a slight bow, learned long ago to not travel high speeds through water.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing was amiss, the cold air scoop in the grill will guide the water up near the air-box intake then the suction from the engine can suck it right in.
And I only go just fast enough through water to create a slight bow, learned long ago to not travel high speeds through water.

Then that would definitely be worth sticking a rag or something into that hole, if it is easily accessible. This is the first I've heard of that happening. Maybe the good side is that yours is letting more cool air in when on the road and giving you a few hp!

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Similar experience at the service center as the OP. Shouldn't go past 3000 miles, 4,000 miles 5,000 at the absolute most they said.
Got an "Engine Oil Deteriorated" DTC after driving for four hours. Almost 8,000 miles on the Jeep and 45% life left on the oil monitor. Checked the dipstick and it was above full and smelled like raw gasoline. Took it in for service two days later.
Service said I drove it way past when I should have had the oil changed. They were completely shocked when I I asked why the owners manual says to follow the Oil Life Monitor or change it at 10k miles. They said the owners manual was written by idiots and those numbers are used so the engines would fail after warranty. What???
Mines a 4xe to boot and figure it's about 3,500 all Electric and 4,500 Gas miles. No one can tell me how many actual miles are on the engine (guessing 4,500), but they sure can tell me there shouldn't be this much gasoline in the fuel. I did get a nice window sticker to come back and see them again in 4,000 miles for my next oil change. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored