Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I’m just trying to figure out how he died. Guess he sucked in water. I’ve been in water that high and never seemed an issue.
Yeah just looking at it, looks like the water came way over hood and probably smothered the air intake. I didn't watch so not sure if it showed the nose dive into water.
Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Forget the recovery... I'm still trying to get my head around "$100,000 Jeep".
I would have said the same thing a few weeks ago. When I went in to order my Jeep there was a tricked out Rubicon sitting in the lobby with a sticker price of over $113,000. I will say that included a $25,000 "market adjustment." I jokingly asked the salesperson to call me if it sold. Two days later he called me, laughing, saying it had sold while he was out with a customer on a test drive.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
This forum is harsh. Fixup your jeep and don't off road it - and folks pile on the "mall crawler."

But go out in the offroad and make a mistake and now watch the fur fly.

100k? Oh no, never spend that much.... unless you're talking about running 37" or larger tires, and then the collective JL wrangler forum wisdom will quickly tell you that you're doomed to axle break carnage unless you get "won tons." Get these babies and your build total cost is quickly gonna tick up to six digits: https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assem...s-prorock-xd60-xd60-axle-set-for-jeep-jl.html

Well guess what, this guy upgraded his jeep, went out into the sticks, was having a good time, made a mistake, and now he's paying for it. Sucks. That's a bad day on the trail. But nobody got hurt, so in the end it's only equipment, money and ego. Good on him. I hope he's out there again soon.

Best practice experience advice? Yeah, don't drive into water unless you're SURE how deep it is. I'm sure none of you folks have never done that? Really? The only way I believe that is if you always wheel in a big group and let someone else be the lead jeep at the river ford. Because when you're out there with the family and faced with actually wading in and getting sopped up near your belt buckle and riding around in a cold damp puddle for the rest of the day, most folks will opt to stay on the nice dry shore, say "looks shallow enough" and then hop in and go for it. That usually works. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Damn.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
The whole reason they had to get the recovery crew was because it was still in drive. Not sure what the guy did (some orange tab or something) that he pulled that finally released it and went into neutral. If it was in neutral his buddy could have pulled him out.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The whole reason they had to get the recovery crew was because it was still in drive. Not sure what the guy did (some orange tab or something) that he pulled that finally released it and went into neutral. If it was in neutral his buddy could have pulled him out.
That right there is a valuable lesson learned on the JL forum. There's a manual tab you can pull right in front of the shifter to force it into neutral. The owners manual gives the exact details.... knowing where that is is real valuable if you're broken down, can't get started, and need to accept a tow.

Not sure that trick and just one jeep would have gotten this particular recovery all the way back to the pavement though - there were some gnarly climbs, and they daisy-chained the recovery jeeps to get them all the way out.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure haven't. Seems like common sense.
Help us out man. How do you know? Do you keep hip waders in your jeep?

Eyeballing it only works so well. I can tell when a stream's gonna be only a foot deep or less. But the difference between two feet - which is safe to ford, and three feet - which isn't - is awfully hard to read from the bank. How do you know? What tricks do you use?

Deleted member 59498

Help us out man. How do you know? Do you keep hip waders in your jeep?

Eyeballing it only works so well. I can tell when a stream's gonna be only a foot deep or less. But the difference between two feet - which is safe to ford, and three feet - which isn't - is awfully hard to read from the bank. How do you know? What tricks do you use?
Actually I do, like to fish (actually full set). But if I don't know I don't go. Common sense. You can also wade in with a stick, try to walk across whatever works. If you can't wade it than your jeep most likely can't either.

I would not jump off a cliff if I didn't know the depth of the water either. Just way it works.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I do, like to fish ....
That thought gave me an idea I'd never thought of before - since lots of jeepers carry fishing gear, you could set up a line, sinker, and bobber on a 30" depth, and cast out into various places in the water. If the bobber stands up anywhere you cast - you know it's too deep.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I am sure that the owner of this Jeep in on here.
Let's hear the story!
Also, Matt and his crew seem like good folks.

wow, that is one expensive trip! I hope he is not still making payments on that Flooded Jeep! :(

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Anyone can put the tcase in neutral 😂😂😂

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I was impressed how calm the owner of the Jeep was…maybe he was in shock by that point

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I am sure that the owner of this Jeep in on here.
Let's hear the story!
Also, Matt and his crew seem like good folks.

I was just watching this a minute ago it popped up on my youtube page and after watching i thought id come by the forum and VOILA!
Sponsored