Loose drag link and tie rod

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Today I went to install a new steering stabilizer and before I unbolted anything I noticed I was able to rock the drag link and tie rod back and forth, not side to side but in a rolling motion. Maybe a 16th to an 8th. It made a an audible clunk. Is this normal?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Today I went to install a new steering stabilizer and before I unbolted anything I noticed I was able to rock the drag link and tie rod back and forth, not side to side but in a rolling motion. Maybe a 16th to an 8th. It made a an audible clunk. Is this normal?
Yes

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Funny i saw this thread. I was at the dealer AGAIN trying to get them to fix my leaking power steering lines. ā€œit is residual oil from installation at the factory,ā€ thats the bull they said to me. Anyways since they dont want to do the right thing, they are replacing my tie rod and drag link. When grabbing it and moving it up and down it clunks, whicH i heard is normal to an extent, IN addition to that, when i move my steering. Wheel Left to right it clunks. They said that will fix the play in my steering.

I am not very sold on this, other than its a cheap fix, it gets me to ā€œtrustā€ them. Not sure.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Funny i saw this thread. I was at the dealer AGAIN trying to get them to fix my leaking power steering lines. ā€œit is residual oil from installation at the factory,ā€ thats the bull they said to me. Anyways since they dont want to do the right thing, they are replacing my tie rod and drag link. When grabbing it and moving it up and down it clunks, whicH i heard is normal to an extent, IN addition to that, when i move my steering. Wheel Left to right it clunks. They said that will fix the play in my steering.

I am not very sold on this, other than its a cheap fix, it gets me to ā€œtrustā€ them. Not sure.
Run dude, get the hell out of there while you can still drive itā€¦ā€¦ šŸ˜‚

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Run dude, get the hell out of there while you can still drive itā€¦ā€¦ šŸ˜‚
LOL at first the tech told me it was condensationā€¦.. i was like bro, water, in the engine bay evaporates AND id say confidently will not make the Exact same oil residue mark from before. I do all my own work, i am actually scared to have them install my warranty tie rod end and drag link, i also lost all hope on their competency and just threw in the towel to Do my own gearbor TSB because they are such dicks about it.

Its too late to run..

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
LOL at first the tech told me it was condensationā€¦.. i was like bro, water, in the engine bay evaporates AND id say confidently will not make the Exact same oil residue mark from before. I do all my own work, i am actually scared to have them install my warranty tie rod end and drag link, i also lost all hope on their competency and just threw in the towel to Do my own gearbor TSB because they are such dicks about it.

Its too late to run..
lol, when I took mine in for the steering box I told them they wouldnā€™t be able to reproduce the wander without driving it for over an hour. The service rep literally said they could leave it running in the lot for an hour or 2. I had to explain to him why that wouldnā€™t work and why that was bad for the motor. After leaving I went home and printed out the TSB and went back and handed it to the service manager. They ordered the right parts that evening. Canā€™t make this stuff up. And people wonder why I clown on service departments.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
lol, when I took mine in for the steering box I told them they wouldnā€™t be able to reproduce the wander without driving it for over an hour. The service rep literally said they could leave it running in the lot for an hour or 2. I had to explain to him why that wouldnā€™t work and why that was bad for the motor. After leaving I went home and printed out the TSB and went back and handed it to the service manager. They ordered the right parts that evening. Canā€™t make this stuff up. And people wonder why I clown on service departments.
I wish that would work For me. I printed it out and he told me that they will have to do an inspection, and i might have to pay for it if they dont find anything wrong. Really stupid thing to say. The proof is in the pudding.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wish that would work For me. I printed it out and he told me that they will have to do an inspection, and i might have to pay for it if they dont find anything wrong. Really stupid thing to say. The proof is in the pudding.
The TSB literally says ā€œif the customer reports thisā€¦ā€¦perform the TSBā€. I pointed that line out to the services manager and he took care of me.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The TSB literally says ā€œif the customer reports thisā€¦ā€¦perform the TSBā€. I pointed that line out to the services manager and he took care of me.
Tried. They kept my claim open for the warranty replacement. I even have a case with @JeepCares, but the service manager just wants to bandaid things over with a steering linakge replacement.
Sponsored