Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Looking for some suggestions/recommendations! I'd like front and back dash cams that are easily detached for safekeeping. We go to a ton of kids' baseball tournaments and don't want to leave them out for easy taking when the top is down. I'm not worried about what happens while I'm parked I guess, and want it mostly for potential road issues. Thanks in advance to all!
Peter: where I think I might be able to add come color commentary for you that is useful is with the following:

I own a Thinkware Q800Pro. I like it a lot, along with the outfit I purchased it from, Canada's Blackboxmycar.com.

It sounds like it may be overkill for you as not only is it a dual dash cam but unlike your leaning, mine leaning was to a dash camera that records all the time.

If you decide that such parked monitoring is for you then make sure your dash camera has a configurable cutoff on battery voltage so your engine will still crank if you find yourself recording in parked mode off the battery (for 3.6L batteries) for extended period of time between cranks, especially when the weather is cold.

I hard wired my dash camera into wires that lead into the sun visor rather than the 12V outlet in the dash. Either of these places are only energized when the vehicle is on (i.e. accessory outlets.) You'll typically need a battery outlet (like the one in the cargo area, by default, if equipped) that is always energized if you want parking mode protection.

That 12V outlet in the cargo area, if equipped, is by default just such an always on outlet, i.e. "battery" outlet (changeable as per the manual to only on when the vehicle is on with the switch of a fuse.) I actually run a wire back there too.

This wiring to the rear cargo plug is not a substitute in my case for either the 12v plug in the dash or the one I did instead in the sun visor, either of which is an accessory plug. You need both, as when the connection in the front of the vehicle stops becoming energized when the rig is off signals the dash camera to go into parking (energy saving) mode (and get its current from the rear 12V plug,) or driving mode when the front connection to current is live.

I suggest you think about whether you want two cameras, parking mode, and/or recording to the cloud before purchase so you don't end up buying a cheap, and then a midline dash camera kit if you change your mind on features.

I doesn't sound like you, but for extended parking mode users (like those who park at airports) external batteries become useful.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Peter: where I think I might be able to add come color commentary for you that is useful is with the following:

I own a Thinkware Q800Pro. I like it a lot, along with the outfit I purchased it from, Canada's Blackboxmycar.com.

It sounds like it may be overkill for you as not only is it a dual dash cam but unlike your leaning, mine leaning was to a dash camera that records all the time.

If you decide that such parked monitoring is for you then make sure your dash camera has a configurable cutoff on battery voltage so your engine will still crank if you find yourself recording in parked mode off the battery (for 3.6L batteries) for extended period of time between cranks, especially when the weather is cold.

I hard wired my dash camera into wires that lead into the sun visor rather than the 12V outlet in the dash. Either of these places are only energized when the vehicle is on (i.e. accessory outlets.) You'll typically need a battery outlet (like the one in the cargo area, by default, if equipped) that is always energized if you want parking mode protection.

That 12V outlet in the cargo area, if equipped, is by default just such an always on outlet, i.e. "battery" outlet (changeable as per the manual to only on when the vehicle is on with the switch of a fuse.) I actually run a wire back there too.

This wiring to the rear cargo plug is not a substitute in my case for either the 12v plug in the dash or the one I did instead in the sun visor, either of which is an accessory plug. You need both, as when the connection in the front of the vehicle stops becoming energized when the rig is off signals the dash camera to go into parking (energy saving) mode (and get its current from the rear 12V plug,) or driving mode when the front connection to current is live.

I suggest you think about whether you want two cameras, parking mode, and/or recording to the cloud before purchase so you don't end up buying a cheap, and then a midline dash camera kit if you change your mind on features.

I doesn't sound like you, but for extended parking mode users (like those who park at airports) external batteries become useful.
Great info, thanks man! I seem to start simple, realize it could be better, then upgrade. So I should really consider all of this, but I don’t know if I have the electrical knowledge to pull off improvisations.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I've been a long time Blackvue dash cam user. I have the 900X 4k duo-system in my M2, and an old 750X HD in my Jeep that I've transferred from all my secondary cars to the next one.

For my JL I'm using the Blackvue external battery pack and so far its worked very well. The battery pack supplies power to the dash cam for quite awhile, for me about 10-12 hours, but the description for the product on Amazon says 20hrs. I'm assuming from a full charge. The battery pack also charges very fast when the ignition is on, powering it.

My JL has the aux switches and have the additional connections under the dash, one of which is a the ignition power. It makes it very convenient

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm using BlackVue. I mounted it to the header just in front of reaview mirror. Camera mounting is not effected by windshield replacements, nor lowering the windshield. It would be a lot more noticeable if it was just stuck to the windshield.

DCAM - FRONT1.jpg

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I'm using BlackVue. I mounted it to the header just in front of reaview mirror. Camera mounting is not effected by windshield replacements, nor lowering the windshield. It would be a lot more noticeable if it was just stuck to the windshield.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Dash Cam? DCAM - FRONT1
Great idea! Yeah, I don't want it on the windshield. I was looking at one that hung from the rear view, but then it is in my sight and likely sits too low for a camera angle then. I'm gonna go with your setup; beautiful. I am ordering the DR750-2 CH LTE, and putting the back one under the roll bar. That way I can see my dogs in the back, yet it be available when the top is off.

Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great idea! Yeah, I don't want it on the windshield. I was looking at one that hung from the rear view, but then it is in my sight and likely sits too low for a camera angle then. I'm gonna go with your setup; beautiful. I am ordering the DR750-2 CH LTE, and putting the back one under the roll bar. That way I can see my dogs in the back, yet it be available when the top is off.
I mounted my rearview camera just above the rearview mirror for full interior coverage during park mode.

DCAM - REAR.jpg

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Ok, thank you so much for this. I just had to replace my damn windshield last week (thank you Permian Basin and lazy truck drivers dropping caliche everywhere) and hadn't mounted the camera again yet. I'm going to give it a shot.

I use a 590X, it works great and didn't break the bank. I bought a hardwire kit but I've been happy with it just running off the 12V socket. I just don't really care about the parking mode or having a rear channel so much.

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Ok, thank you so much for this. I just had to replace my damn windshield last week (thank you Permian Basin and lazy truck drivers dropping caliche everywhere) and hadn't mounted the camera again yet. I'm going to give it a shot.

I use a 590X, it works great and didn't break the bank. I bought a hardwire kit but I've been happy with it just running off the 12V socket. I just don't really care about the parking mode or having a rear channel so much.
I was thinking I don't care too much about parking mode, because I do not generally leave anything valuable since I leave the top open so much. So I'm thinking the hardwire kit is overkill and I see myself detaching the camera often and putting in my secure console.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
I was thinking I don't care too much about parking mode, because I do not generally leave anything valuable since I leave the top open so much. So I'm thinking the hardwire kit is overkill and I see myself detaching the camera often and putting in my secure console.
something to consider for park mode, i have it and have never needed it for anything related to my jeep but i once caught some kids who stole lighting off my fencing, outdoor security cameras werent that great but the dashcam had perfect clear video.

Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May have missed this somewhere on the thread, but did you hardwire yours to the mirror? If so I have more questions :CWL:
For the power supply, I'm using the BlackVue Power Magic Pro that connects directly to the OBD port. Keeps camera powered during parking mode, but will turn off camera if battery voltage drops below your specified value. I have a Sport S, so no powered mirror.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
For the power supply, I'm using the BlackVue Power Magic Pro that connects directly to the OBD port. Keeps camera powered during parking mode, but will turn off camera if battery voltage drops below your specified value. I have a Sport S, so no powered mirror.
first i heard of an obd being used like this, searched for one and found out you can't get them anymore. neat idea though

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
There are models that do that but at that added expense. Just considering all the things that are in my jeep at any given time I think the dash cam is easily overlooked by a thief.

Besides, I never thought anyone would dare steal out of a "RUBICON"... :LOL:
Does anyone mount a front camera so they can see forward and or down when they are going up? Can that be the cloud and mount it so it is multi tasking as dash cam and trail cam...sound right? lol
Sponsored