Sponsored

What is the worst aftermarket thing you got for your jeep?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I might take some heat for this but I'd say the OCD center console organizer is probably my worst "mod". Specifically the top tray. I bought it because I saw people here talking about how much better it made their center console organization, and I suppose it does that, but it also limited what I can carry in there much more than I had anticipated. I am unable to store the mic portion of my radio in there for example, with the cord and such it's just too large to fit and be able to close the top. Same with my binoculars, or my thermacell, and any number of other larger items I try to toss in there. I suspect if I didn't have the top tray of the organizer that would help. It could just be that I'm in a 2 door so every millimetre of storage I have is very valuable to me, or maybe I like to throw larger things in there than others do. I find I'm constantly trying to drop something in, just to realize that I can't close the lid, then I'm annoyed and need to find another place for my cigars or whatever it is.
Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
JUSTTOP mirrors for when doors off. They have to be cranked down so hard to keep them from shaking so much while moving that it's messing with my hinge paint, and they have to be tediously adjusted every single time you put them back on. Not worth the hassle for me.
You should check out the Lange Coyotes! Super solid, can use the thumb screw, and I did a dot using silver sharpie on the mirror and the mount so I know exactly where to put it w/ no adjustment. They work great!

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'll second an aftermarket antenna. I got one with good reviews on Amazon (believe it's the Rugged Ridge one) and it really sucked. I rattlecanned the stock one and put it back on.

Budget recovery tracks / traction boards... mine are the X-Bull (gen 2?) also from Amazon. The one time I actually needed them for their intended use, they didn't help. They can level you out camping, but so will a rock. You can use them for a shovel, but they suck at it. You can use them to bridge crevices and as a ramp for a boost over steep obstacles, but they'll probably crack. Overall, they're definitely not worth their weight and the space they consume IMO.

Some of the interior storage tray add-ons turned out to be a nuisance or a danger...

The ones that sit in the grab handle area to create a pocket will turn anything you put inside into a projectile in the event of an airbag deployment.

The one that goes over the clips for the center console lid partially block the rear cupholder.

The ones that saddle the center console area in front of the shifters rub on my knee.

The ones that help organize the center console make it so you can't keep larger things inside, like a handgun, sunblock/insect repellent, etc.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I was looking at the AWE exhaust - axle back. What did you discover that made you regret the purchase?
Won't work if you have lift with a rear trackbar relocation bracket, here's a thread I started about it. Not sure if the axle back will have the same issue, I had the full system. I ended having to chop it off in front of the axle and put a turn out on it, that's alot of expensive stainless sitting on my garage floor. Oh, and it's absurdly loud and drones like a MF'r (when I was running the full pipe even).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-with-rear-trackbar-relocation-bracket.76872/

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I just have a couple playlists downloaded for offline use. Plus I don't like the stock antenna smacking the a pillar. I saw the paint just aching to get screwed up.
I haven't programed a station into my last 3 vehicles. I use a combination of my phone and a 128 GB flash drive that I loaded with music from my collection. I didn't even notice the antenna until I saw everyone saying one of their first upgrade was to get a stubby one.

Turns out it is silver and ugly, so I might replace it. :)

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
JUSTTOP mirrors for when doors off. They have to be cranked down so hard to keep them from shaking so much while moving that it's messing with my hinge paint, and they have to be tediously adjusted every single time you put them back on. Not worth the hassle for me.
Oh, poo. That brand of mirror appears identical to what I purchased to have on hand for a doorless experience in 2022. They're still new in the box, but of course my return window has long since expired. We'll see how it goes.

Some of the interior storage tray add-ons turned out to be a nuisance or a danger...

The one that goes over the clips for the center console lid partially block the rear cupholder.
Very minimally, yes. It might foul proper seating of a wide travel mug that narrows only at the bottom, for use in a cupholder. I use that particular accessory to carry my phone, and I can place a 16 oz water bottle in the adjacent (rear) cupholder with no problem.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On this Wrangler, it is between the Mopar sill scuff guards, which are absolutely useless, or the Mopar slush mats, which always look scuffed and filthy, no matter how much I clean them.

On prior Wranglers, it had to be any exhaust modifications: no matter what I did to the exhaust, the V6 sounded like farts; mods to the exhaust only made the farty engine sound grow louder.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
You should check out the Lange Coyotes! Super solid, can use the thumb screw, and I did a dot using silver sharpie on the mirror and the mount so I know exactly where to put it w/ no adjustment. They work great!
I actually just discovered these on the forum this weekend and bookmarked them! Very excited to give them a shot!

Sponsored

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The worst I did on my Jeep was the Grille Guard that wound up damaging the Grille... :headbang:

1635960835035.png

1635960991092.png

Its why I have a black grille now:

1635961066527.png
Yeah, those things have been called damage multipliers for decades for that reason and so many others.
Very minimally, yes. It might foul proper seating of a wide travel mug that narrows only at the bottom, for use in a cupholder. I use that particular accessory to carry my phone, and I can place a 16 oz water bottle in the adjacent (rear) cupholder with no problem.
I found it annoying and I keep my phone on the dash mount. I don't think it's a terrible accessory, just one of those things that was more con than pro in my book.
Terraflex tailgate reinforcment. Fit like shit and was overpriced for quality. Plus their CS sucks and they only post 5 star reviews of their products
Well thanks for the one star review here, I was thinking about getting one.

Deleted member 59498

Stubby antenna.
Looked great, significantly reduced what I could tune in even though it was supposedly a "good" one. Went into the trash. Stock antenna was plasti-dipped and reinstalled.

Yeah I think I seen your dip on the antenna looked good. I have no luck with my stubby but I bought the wrong one, FM is OK but AM is bad.