Sponsored

Steering Stabilizers Recommendations / Tips?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, thanks for that info! I’ll give those suggestions a try and see/verify it is my SS. If so, I’ll hit you up on that offer.
No worries…. One thing… if there is a way to relieve the pressure and you go that route , be very careful not to let to much out, I mean if you hear it, then it’s probably to much, just a heads up.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
No worries…. One thing… if there is a way to relieve the pressure and you go that route , be very careful not to let to much out, I mean if you hear it, then it’s probably to much, just a heads up.
To be honest, I didn’t know you could do that. How do you relieve gas from a shock? Is there a valve underneath one of the ends?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I didn’t know you could do that. How do you relieve gas from a shock? Is there a valve underneath one of the ends?
I’m not sure on yours…….. never messed with it.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure on yours…….. never messed with it.
Oh gotcha. Yeah I don’t believe the Bilstein 5100s can be “relieved” of pressure. I think they are sealed but I’ll take a look when I get off work today. Also not sure 4wheel parts will take it back, I’ll have to see how long I’ve had it too. Might be over a month. May take you up on the Fox SS one you have. It’ll save me some before I’m able to get a through shaft design.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
you don't need a new steering stabilizer. in fact, you don't need a stabilizer at all. aftermarket stabilizers are there for one thing. to separate you from your money.
Edit: Holy cow! I just saw how old this thread is. Feel free to ignore my reply, but read on for info.

I disagree. Steering stabilizers are there to isolate steering input from the terrain. Off-road vehicles get impact from uneven surfaces on individual wheels like ruts, rocks, logs, etc... These impacts get transmitted through the steering linkage all the way back to the steering box and eventually the steering wheel. The stabilizer acts as a shock absorber and "stabilizes" the linkage from jolts and impacts. With larger wheels and tires some of that action can be magnified and the stabilizer becomes more important.

Now, do you "need" a new one because you add a lift? Probably not. Does an aftermarket stabilizer improve things? That depends on the type of driving you do. If you rarely see off-roan then you gain nothing from it. If you do rough off-roading and/or higher speed off-roading they can be a benefit. YMMV

$.02
Sponsored

Last edited: