First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
We all need to conclude that our tastes (in music, car styling, communication, whatever) is trapped in a magical time of our youth (age 13ish-25ish), whatever decade that happened to be for you. Everything that comes after will never seem as good.

Except of course hip hop, which was always crap.

Jeep Wrangler JL When will Flat Black go away tumblr_pial2mgKuX1wqmbne_400 (1)

Last edited:

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've never liked Chrome, prefer brushed metal like Audi sometimes uses. I do think flat black can look cheap on some cars... but it's all personal preference... I'm from the urban North, went to design school and like a lot of modern designs... so we're all kind of influenced by our surroundings.

Sponsored

Ghost7th

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I grew up in the muscle car era of the 70's and 80's and chrome was the thing. My Charger and Road Runner had the giant front and rear chrome bumpers and they were the thing.

I saw a JL the other day with a chrome grill and chrome tube front and rear bumpers. I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw it.

My Sahara has the painted silver grill inserts and headlight inserts: I really am considering painting them black.

I guess as previously said it is all a personal preference.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Cadillac and Buick have chrome wheels. Around here, they last about 5 years and the chrome peels off. Even worse, they corrode under the chrome on the outer bead seat. Thus your tire leaks. So it wakes a bit of work to rework that sealing surface because parts still have chrome and others do not.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Being an old guy and growing up in the Chrome world of the 50's and 60's I pretty much tired of everything being flat black. For me it the cheaper way to go for the manufactures and all things being vehicle related, wheels, accessories, and body trim being what I dislike the most. I want my new 2022 Jeep to have chrome reversed wheels and have that look of the past, OH, I'm a street cruiser and not too much an off roader. OK, I look at a Jeep as a TOY and a fun machine to cruise on the street of Ft. Worth at nights and the bright lights just really make the Jeep stand out. Coming from the motorcycle world where chrome is king I guess I still love the look of it and the sparkle it gives to your ride, so for me the Jeep is no different. I guess it's just a matter of time as everything changes, what will it be next, who knows. This post is not to take away from flat black as a color, some vehicles really look good, but everything in flat black is taking over the world and it is the cheapest spray paint you can buy at Home Depot, $3.50 per can.
Amen. Even the new motorcycles these days are festooned with black. Yuk.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Found one for ya!

1.jpg

jeep-wrangler-chrome-4-1082014.jpg

jeep-wrangler-chrome-6-1082014.jpg
I'd drive it...

hear me out... Put some more sidewall on it, and treat it like a shitbox. Imagine being miles into a real trail and this monstrosity comes bopping down the trail on rubber band tires at 65PSI. Full send everywhere, no mercy. It would be a crowd pleaser!

On a related note, if you've never watched the Roadkill Episode where they take a Low-Low through the desert, it's amazing.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
I just ordered a granite crystal sport altitude that is basically blacked out except for the lug nuts and keyhole. Me being onboard probably means that the trend has just about run its course. When it comes to fashion or investments i am typically on the backside of the bell curve.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When will Flat Black go away?

I hope never. Chrome guns and chromed vehicles belong in a museum. Right along white sidewalls.

I want all my wheels to be single color black, so I can spray away all the scratches from rocks (Jeep) or curb/potholes (low profile sports car).

And since every vehicle of any color will also have large black areas (called tires), unless all the trim is black you end up with at least 3 colors on your non-black vehicle. A three+.color vehicle in my book is a cartoon :)

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
The only thing I like chrome is the hard chrome in barrels.
I love me some flat and matte black.