Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sorry, OP. I ran out and bought (ordered off Amazon with overnight delivery) wheel locks for my way less desirable base rubicon wheels after reading this.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Never bought lug nuts nor wheel locks before , didn't realize there are different sizes...anyone know the lug nut size for the Moab wheels that came on my 2021 Willys??
Gorilla Automotive 96644BDX Black Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack)

They fit my '19 Rubicon wheels. Double check sizing though for the Willys wheels.

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Or, you could just run without a spare tire, like all the Young Kids do, and just carry a couple of cans of Tire Inflation Goo, until your replacement tire comes in.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or, you could just run without a spare tire, like all the Young Kids do, and just carry a couple of cans of Tire Inflation Goo, until your replacement tire comes in.
I have one of these under the seat for insurance. Slime SUV tire repair kit. It's as easy as it gets to use and it really does patch huge holes. The slime can be washed out so the tire can be repaired and the TPS can be reused. About $60-$70.
Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement 🤬 Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.52.30 PM

Sponsored

JEEP392

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEVXR392

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Before purchasing or using products like Slime sealant, call around to local tire shops. Ask about their policy of working on or even just removing punctured tires that have been temporarily restored to service using the orange or green goop. Don't be surprised if some places refuse to touch them. That sealant is more viscous (as a matter of necessity) and less easy to remove from an automotive tire than may be suggested.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get so upset about people committing crime and getting a slap on the wrist or someone saying “they had no other choice, it’s not their fault” because it’s happened to me. I have empathy for others. I did learn something in this thread, I learned about locking lug nuts and I’ll be getting a set for myself, even though I’ll have stock wheels.
A derermined or commited thief will get whatever they want. Most don't work that hard. Not all locking lugs are created equal. A few types are better than others. Mopar wheel locks that have the sleeve that spins or a complete set of Gorilla locking lugs is usually enough to deter the run of the mill thief. They don't want to hang out, making noise banging on and off sockets or locking lug removal tools. 100% worth it as a deterrent.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before purchasing or using products like Slime sealant, call around to local tire shops. Ask about their policy of working on or even just removing punctured tires that have been temporarily restored to service using the orange or green goop. Don't be surprised if some places refuse to touch them. That sealant is more viscous (as a matter of necessity) and less easy to remove from an automotive tire than may be suggested.
It's a last resort for me.

I had to use Slime on a tire before. One Discount Tire said they would not repair it and said the TPS would need replacing. Another Discount Tire had no issue washing out the Slime and reusing the TPS. I drove that car on the same tires for 3 more years without any issues.

Here is a review on some different tire repair products.

There is video showing why tire repair shops don't like Slime or other fix-a flat type products.

Last edited:

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the gorilla ones now but unsure of size needed. I like the idea they spin without tool/key
A commited thief will get whatever they want. Most don't work that hard. Not all locking lugs are good. A few are. Mopar wheel locks that have the sleeve that spins or a complete set of Gorilla locking lugs is usually enough to deter the run of the mill thief. They don't want to hang out, making noise banging on and off sockets or locking lug removal tools. 100% worth it as a deterrent.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You have your opinion and some of us here have ours. I do no believe in the slightest that locks are an effective deterrent. For the occasional tweaker or opiate addict then maybe. Ask someone who has been pistol whipped or shotgun shoved in their face what they think.

My view on crime has made a 180 since witnessing a robbery at gun point and seeing him get released with nothing more than a slap on the hand. Also a local "pay to enter" county park in a nice area near me almost daily has smash and destroy inside vehicles. The best deterrent is to leave vehicle unlocked and all compartments open and empty. It's at the point of the county putting up signs inside the park

Another popular theft is the 3 man teams of slash and grabs of motorcycles in truck beds. A pickup truck with driver and 2 guys in the bed of truck. They drive around local riding areas and wait for victims to use bathroom, get a bite at restaurants, or get at least 10 seconds away. They each have a utility knife and bolt cutters. Scumbags simply pull alongside truck, jump in the bed, slash tie downs/cut cable or chain, throw bike into their truck and speed off. Under 10 seconds. McDonald parking lot is where it happened to my racing buddy. He watched it while seated and could not get out the door fast enough.

Locks are only to keep the honest people out.
It's not an opinion that in the United States, the overwhelming majority of robberies committed are crimes of opportunity. In fact, the FBI states that only 12% of robberies are pre-planned. So while you're entitled to your opinion, it's pretty unanimous that any deterrent present will get a thief to jump ship to the next opportunity. They want something quick and easy without any possible attention being drawn. It's true that if a thief wants something, they'll get it. However, that represents a very small number of robberies compared to crimes of opportunity. The reality is, if you don't give a thief an easy chance at taking something, your chances of being robbed are significantly lower. Given this thief didn't lift his Jeep to steal the other wheels, it's very likely this was a crime of opportunity aswell.

I don't understand what being pistol whipped or held at gun-point has to do with this discussion. That's a situation where the victim can't do anything about what happened to them. That's not the same as a crime of opportunity where certain safety measures will drastically decrease your chance of being robbed. You're dead set on "if a thief wants it, he'll get it" when that represents a small number of robberies overall.

27 Alarming Burglary Statistics for 2021 | PolicyAdvice

Burglary Statistics & Research from the BSJ and FBI | The Zebra

25 Burglary Statistics to Keep You Aware in 2021 | Spendmenot

Schoolsafety.pdf (jsu.edu)

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I reserve much less empathy for the Big Pharma execs (Purdue comes to mind) who get rich exploiting human weakness by offering special incentives to doctors to get patients prescribed OxyContin unnecessarily. I'm not justifying the thieves' actions, but in many cases these people are sick and need help. Have (just a little) compassion for them.
The individual hooked on opiates is 100% responsible for their addiction. These criminals who "are sick" need to be locked up or shot. They made the decision to commit the crimes and I have zero compassion for an addict who decided to put poison into their body.

It's true that if a thief wants something, they'll get it. However, that represents a very small number of robberies compared to crimes of opportunity.
We will have to agree to disagree. You links to biased websites are not an indicator to what happens in the real world. There is such a thing as unreported crime.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
We will have to agree to disagree. You links to biased websites are not an indicator to what happens in the real world. There is such a thing as unreported crime.

You're suggesting that major robberies which you were discussing, such as being held at gun or knife point, are more likely to not be reported over petty crimes which crimes of opportunity generally are? :facepalm:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
You're suggesting that major robberies which you were discussing, such as being held at gun or knife point, are more likely to not be reported over petty crimes which crimes of opportunity generally are? :facepalm:
You are not understanding my point so I will just let this one go. Good luck Sir.