Sponsored

Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement šŸ¤¬

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
All of the comments regarding "Factory Lug Locks", I think I could get the factory lug lock off just as quick as the lug nuts.

Look at the photo below and how far they stick out, lock a pair of Wal-Mart vice grips on and twist. Done. In the "field" it is quicker than finding the correct sized lug wrench to pull the normal lug nuts off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement šŸ¤¬ IMG_1256
Sponsored

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I did not but I ordered them the day it happened! I was parked in my driveway (in a nice neighborhood) and believe it was stolen over night. Three lug nuts and it pulls right off. I have since moved things around in the garage so I can now park inside. I learned a lesson about my ā€œnice neighborhoodā€ šŸ¤¦šŸ½
Nice neighborhoods are the best place to shop.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I guess itā€™s ridiculous that I have been a loyal FCA customer and hoped for some help. But alas, I have the bead lock wheel scheduled for delivery next Thursday and the KO2 tire to be installed on Friday so I can go wheelin next weekend!
Basically it really ruined my day but lesson learned and I just installed wheel locks on the Jeep and encourage all Jeep Wrangler owners to do the same

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Only two people to blame here the OP and the thief.
Really Tony? There is zero reason why Matt should have an expectation of being ripped off. The thief is not the victim. They are nothing but the lowest form of human life. They rate right alongside the rapists, child molesters and murderers.

Why should someone spending $70k have to fear their stuff is going to get stolen? They absolutely should NOT. You're doing EXACTLY what I said in a previous post, you're making thief the victim. The thief couldn't help themself because the wheel wasn't secured. That's the DUBMEST thing I've ever heard. The thief had a choice, the choice was to steal something. I think we should lop off both of his hands, personally.
Absolutely Mike!! Here you have someone who works their ass off to get something nice only to have some low life scum help themselves to it. I jump for joy every time I hear about a jack failing and crushing a catalytic converter thief.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I was just at Discount Tire looking for 34x11 or 35x11 tires: they checked on their system, called around: all they could find were 3 Duratracs, 2 KO2s, 1 Wldpeak, and some Yokohama all-seasons. That was it. Thereā€™s nothing out there.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Why should someone spending $70k have to fear their stuff is going to get stolen? They absolutely should NOT. You're doing EXACTLY what I said in a previous post, you're making thief the victim. The thief couldn't help themself because the wheel wasn't secured. That's the DUBMEST thing I've ever heard. The thief had a choice, the choice was to steal something. I think we should lop off both of his hands, personally.
Fact is criminals are going to steal anything not secured and do so without any thought or remorse. 25 years as an LEO taught me that. If YOU donā€™t take personal responsibility for reducing their ability to make YOU a victim, then you also have to blame yourself for the loss. Its a sad truth and to not accept it means you will be a victim of a crime at some point. In the OPs case simply not adding $25 wheel locks made him an all to easy victim.

Not saying stealing is right, absolutely it is not, but YOU canā€™t rely on the good will of bad people to not steal your stuff, to do so is simply foolish and akin to burying your head in the sand.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I was just at Discount Tire looking for 34x11 or 35x11 tires: thereā€™s nothing out there. They checked on their system and called around: all they could find were 3 Duratracs, 2 KO2s, 1 Wldpeak, and some Yokohama all-seasons. That was it.
Thatā€™s because those are not common sizes. 315ā€™s and 35x12.5ā€™s are in stock here at discount/Americaā€™s tire

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess itā€™s ridiculous that I have been a loyal FCA customer and hoped for some help. But alas, I have the bead lock wheel scheduled for delivery next Thursday and the KO2 tire to be installed on Friday so I can go wheelin next weekend!
Basically it really ruined my day but lesson learned and I just installed wheel locks on the Jeep and encourage all Jeep Wrangler owners to do the same
Kind of along the lines of what you are going through. The supply chain is kind of spooky right now for everything manufactured globally.

For the time being you might want to just get a cheap steel wheel with same dimensions and same size tire of a different brand that's cheap to give you piece of mind when traveling.

Also do yourself a favor and keep some tire plugs and small compressor in your rig. It's not a perfect solution but under the circumstances......

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s because those are not common sizes. 315ā€™s and 35x12.5ā€™s are in stock here at discount/Americaā€™s tire
Yes, 35x12.5 are more abundant, but you may not get the exact tire brand and type you wanted.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fact is criminals are going to steal anything not secured and do so without any thought or remorse. 25 years as an LEO taught me that. If YOU donā€™t take personal responsibility for reducing their ability to make YOU a victim, then you also have to blame yourself for the loss. Its a sad truth and to not accept it means you will be a victim of a crime at some point. In the OPs case simply not adding $25 wheel locks made him an all to easy victim.

Not saying stealing is right, absolutely it is not, but YOU canā€™t rely on the good will of bad people to not steal your stuff, to do so is simply foolish and akin to burying your head in the sand.
Tony I will tell you no matter what precautions you take a thief is going to help themselves. They just do more damage when it's locked. I appreciate your brave service and having to deal with that crap. 20 years ago thieves were more opportunists.

In todays time they are brazen just for the fact there is no punishment to fit the crime. Without getting political I'm sure you can relate. Smash and grabs, road rage shootings, home invasions kicking down doors, store robberies, etc are on the rise.

I was just delivering gas a few years ago when the station was robbed while I was making a delivery. The punk ran past me with a shotgun and a wad of money. Found out a few weeks later from local PD that he ran around the corner and did it to a 7-11. The cop recognized the perp on video from an arrest a few months back. He was an early release felon. He is back out on the street now committing more crime.

Keeping stuff locked does not do much good anymore. Sad but true.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Really Tony? There is zero reason why Matt should have an expectation of being ripped off. The thief is not the victim. They are nothing but the lowest form of human life. They rate right alongside the rapists, child molesters and murderers.
You are getting yourself way too wound up. It's a wheel.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
All of the comments regarding "Factory Lug Locks", I think I could get the factory lug lock off just as quick as the lug nuts.

Look at the photo below and how far they stick out, lock a pair of Wal-Mart vice grips on and twist. Done. In the "field" it is quicker than finding the correct sized lug wrench to pull the normal lug nuts off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement šŸ¤¬ IMG_1256
They are terribleā€¦ I bought them and had them put it on before I bought the Jeep. First thing I thought, what a waste of money.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement šŸ¤¬ 23FFF2B9-6224-4A03-81B9-DD82AA915792

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR

Your logic is flawed.

OP is the victim of a crime. Period. He deserves no blame, nor shame for his not installing an anti theft device.

When someone breaks into a house that has no alarm, do you blame the home owner for not installing and posting a sign of an alarm?

If OP had installed a wheel lock, but still had the spare stolen, do you blame him for installing an easily defeated anti theft device? Or blame him for parking on his drive way instead of his garage?

In your view, at what point does the blame gets shifted to the criminals?

It is perfectly fine to advocate for preventative measures so one does not become a target for criminals. But I cannot condone your victim shaming.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Your logic is flawed.

OP is the victim of a crime. Period. He deserves no blame, nor shame for his not installing an anti theft device.

When someone breaks into a house that has no alarm, do you blame the home owner for not installing and posting a sign of an alarm?

If OP had installed a wheel lock, but still had the spare stolen, do you blame him for installing an easily defeated anti theft device? Or blame him for parking on his drive way instead of his garage?

In your view, at what point does the blame gets shifted to the criminals?

It is perfectly fine to advocate for preventative measures so one does not become a target for criminals. But I cannot condone your victim shaming.
People with this absolutist view of victimhood make no sense. Evil exists. You should do everything you can to protect yourself.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I may look at Ford trucks next and maybe the Bronco. I feel like Jeep has lost its way
F5C50872-2377-4AC5-82E6-6679FD652FF5.jpeg
Donā€™t go there. Seriously. Ford is two YEARS behind on delivery of ā€œreservedā€ Broncos. Recalled hard tops are still garbage even they are the ā€œnew and improvedā€ version. Orders that do land at Dealers are being marked up well beyond signed Order forms. Dealers who are honouring agreements are being punished by losing allocations. Ford is NOT known for good quality or customer service. I am former Ford dealer employee myself. Believe me. You arenā€™t moving up in the world moving on to Ford.
Sponsored