Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement 🤬

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
It’s a Mopar headlock capable wheel. I assume the XR’s aren’t coming with the headlock ring, and that it’s simply an option for later of one wants to order the rings, right?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Another forum member suggested these at one point: advanced wheel locks. I'm about to order a set they seem much more secure and harder to defeat than the traditional style of wheel lock!

182D948A-5B00-464F-9B6F-DED22A544B18.png
They look interesting but probably still not as good as a full set of Gorilla locking lugs. Why? That cone shape lug can still be grabbed by a locking wheel lug removal tool. It will take them much more time to get a full set of locking lugs off. The lugs get jammed inside the lock nut removal tool so it takes time to go through all of the lugs. A full set of Gorilla locking lugs will take more time.

The best wheel locks I have seen were a brand made in Germany for Porsche and VW. The outside of the lug actually is a sleeve and spins so a locking lug nut removal tool would not work.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You can get sockets designed to remove anti theft lug nuts for under $20. Whack them on with a hammer and remove the lug nut. Fairly simple.

Locking lug nuts are only a minor deterrent to wheel theft. They're easily removed with the right tool, which is rather cheap.
I think the idea is that the noisier and more destructive they have to get, the less likely the thief is to try.

Sponsored

bckly

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Occupation
Engineer
They look interesting but probably still not as good as a full set of Gorilla locking lugs. Why? That cone shape lug can still be grabbed by a locking wheel lug removal tool. It will take them much more time to get a full set of locking lugs off. The lugs get jammed inside the lock nut removal tool so it takes time to go through all of the lugs. A full set of Gorilla locking lugs will take more time.

The best wheel locks I have seen were a brand made in Germany for Porsche and VW. The outside of the lug actually is a sleeve and spins so a locking lug nut removal tool would not work.
I think I saw a video where they tried a set of lock nut removal tools and they weren't able to get these off. That was, however, a video that they produced so I guess take that with a grain of salt. But I haven't heard reports of theft after having these installed. So that's a plus!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
We need to look at issues, like parts availability, through the lens of our current environment.

Jumping to another manufacturer will do absolutely nothing, other than incurring switching costs. No vendor is immune.

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
It’s a Mopar headlock capable wheel. I assume the XR’s aren’t coming with the headlock ring, and that it’s simply an option for later of one wants to order the rings, right?
They come with “beauty” rings that are black. You have to buy the bead lock rings separately because they aren’t street legal, I believe

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We need to look at issues, like parts availability, through the lens of our current environment.

Jumping to another manufacturer will do absolutely nothing, other than incurring switching costs. No vendor is immune.
Not only that, while all automakers are affected, some have been affected more than others.

Among Detroit’s Big 3, FCA has been affected the least; Ford the most. Ford management was completely asleep at the wheel...

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I ordered them the day it was stolen, should show up any day now!
This is the root cause of your issue. You mentioned poor planning on Jeep's part. Unfortunately owners need to plan as well. I always order my Gorilla locks before the Jeep arrives. They are not infallible, but they are a deterrent, and that's usually enough.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not much you can really do about theft these days short of catching them in the act and putting a bullet in their head.
Hopefully that's just bravado.
'cause that's where his problems would really start.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This video was right after the Advanced Wheel Lock video. He does not try removing a Advanced Wheel Lock but 5 other types. Looks like Mopar has a newer design with a sleeved locking lug that works better than the others.

The guy damages this wheel for the video.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep, I learned my lesson for sure!
And...if you didn't order Gorillas, you should consider canceling your order and buying them instead. Many of us swear by them. A "determined thief" will get past them somewhat easily, but most thieves aren't at that level.
Sponsored