Sponsored

How to properly paint tow hooks for beginners?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
For one of my first few mods I thought it would be fun to learn how to paint my front and rear tow hooks body color. Think it would complement the black Willys grille. When I search the forums I see the idea mentioned quite a bit, but not too many specifics. I should own up to not having painted anything on a vehicle before (other than using a pen to fill in scratches).

I had found this thread from years ago: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-for-your-front-tow-hooks.9999/#post-1709440. The OP mentions using sandpaper, no primer, and doing it in place with newspaper. He's no longer on the forum though.

So far I know for sure I need body color paint. I can't remember which post I found it but someone linked to this site: https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-s...-2018-2021-gladiator-2020-2021/p/MOPARTUPC-V/.

Some real beginner questions:

1) Is the OP's model a good approach? It's certainly appealing in not having to take stuff off.
2) The paint site has Hydro Blue listed...is one 5oz spray can enough for this job?
3) Is it obvious when to stop sanding?
4) How many coats do you normally use?
5) The post above didn't use it, but is primer advised? If so, what do you buy? General automotive primer?
6) Anything else I'm missing?

Sorry if these questions are real basics. I'll accept any advice, or links if someone has written this out already, or a good video to watch. Thanks!
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I prefer Scotchbrite over sanding already smooth surfaces. Just rough it up enough to give your new paint something to bond to. Basically get rid of the glossy finish.

Clean with soapy water, then rinse and dry well. No need to use caustic cleaners. Alcohol will even work. But, never handle the item being painted with bare hands. Use clean disposable gloves.

Hand the hook by a wire like a piece of coat hanger so as it goes through the bolt hole and leaves the exterior clear for paint.

Paint outside but not on windy days. Two thin coats about 10 to 15 minutes apart on a hot day, and double that on cooler days. Double check that you fully cover all areas and be aware that you are not leaving dull areas. Look for the shine to appear while painting and its very easy to over do it and cause runs. Practice on something else if in doubt. Wait 24 hours to handle or you may leave impressions of your finger prints.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I thought there were certain colors you have to use depending on model? Like blue for street Jeeps and red if they are rated for off road? Aren't gold one for higher speed or something? I see a lot of 4x4 with red ones.

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
i would sand rather than use scotch brite. I use 300 grit all,the way to 2000 grit. I follow that with a primer followed by a sanding using 1200 grit followed by another coat of primer and then 2000 fit followed body coat pain with 2 to 3 light coats. Sand with 2000 grit lightly between coats and not on last coat. Clear coat with 2 to 3 coats with light sanding between coats followed by a compound polish. All sanding is done by wet sanding and to dry pain. And tack cloth between all coats.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
i would sand rather than use scotch brite. I use 300 grit all,the way to 2000 grit. I follow that with a primer followed by a sanding using 1200 grit followed by another coat of primer and then 2000 fit followed body coat pain with 2 to 3 light coats. Sand with 2000 grit lightly between coats and not on last coat. Clear coat with 2 to 3 coats with light sanding between coats followed by a compound polish. All sanding is done by wet sanding and to dry pain. And tack cloth between all coats.
Does it matter what primer/clear coat you use?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I prefer Scotchbrite over sanding already smooth surfaces. Just rough it up enough to give your new paint something to bond to. Basically get rid of the glossy finish.

Clean with soapy water, then rinse and dry well. No need to use caustic cleaners. Alcohol will even work. But, never handle the item being painted with bare hands. Use clean disposable gloves.

Hand the hook by a wire like a piece of coat hanger so as it goes through the bolt hole and leaves the exterior clear for paint.

Paint outside but not on windy days. Two thin coats about 10 to 15 minutes apart on a hot day, and double that on cooler days. Double check that you fully cover all areas and be aware that you are not leaving dull areas. Look for the shine to appear while painting and its very easy to over do it and cause runs. Practice on something else if in doubt. Wait 24 hours to handle or you may leave impressions of your finger prints.
Thanks for all the instructional tips. So for yours it sounds like you have the hooks off, but is it a huge deal if I leave them off? The risk would be runoff if I use too much/might need to cover it while it's drying? (I'm in an apt with no garage/personal lawn)

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I thought there were certain colors you have to use depending on model? Like blue for street Jeeps and red if they are rated for off road? Aren't gold one for higher speed or something? I see a lot of 4x4 with red ones.
Pretty sure with a Jeep you don't have to do anything! I thought it was purely just to differentiate trims so they stand out...something like 392 is yellow, any 4xe is sky blue, any other Rubicon is red, and the rest get black.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I'm painting mine Hella, well my body shop buddy will. But haven't looked how much of a pain they are to get off.

Seems like the rear one would be easy, the front probably means removing the bumper.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Honestly I just did this on my wife's Jeep since she was going with the aqua/light blue colors which are pretty dead on to the 4xe. Not intentional just what she happened to like on her white Jeep.

I removed the front bumper which took about 10mins once I figured out where all the bolts were and about about 5 mins to get the hooks out. I took them outside the garage and put them on hangers upside down. Gave them 2-3 light coats letting them dry inbetween and they came out pretty damn perfect for just using canned spray paint. Did the rear hook as well which was actually more of a pain in the ass than the front bumper to get off and on.

You could probably mask it and not takeoff the front bumper but it is seriously not that hard to remove the bumper and do it right and not risk overspray on your bumper or body paint.

It's been about 3-4 weeks since I did it and they are holding up perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to properly paint tow hooks for beginners? 1635555480724

Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I used self etching primer. The front hooks were with the Mopar 5 oz PBJ spray paint (Hydro Blue). The rear hook I used Dupli Color Medium Quasar Blue. Then about 5 coats of clear. Before mounting them i compared the two and could not find even the slightest difference in color.

20211023_123938.jpg

20211015_164701.jpg

Screenshot_20211029-211609_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Thanks for all the instructional tips. So for yours it sounds like you have the hooks off, but is it a huge deal if I leave them off? The risk would be runoff if I use too much/might need to cover it while it's drying? (I'm in an apt with no garage/personal lawn)
No, you could leave them on for this but it's going to be necessary to cover up the area near the hooks to avoid over spray. Tape around the hooks, and cover the entire area with some of the painters paper on rolls found at hardware stores. Just tape it on with 3m painters tape. Just remember any gaps left, the over spray will find it.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
I don't think he caught that you were kidding. I laughed if that makes you feel better. 👍 :CWL:

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Has anyone media blasted and powder coated them?