Tape that sticks to wrangler plastic - hiding wiring

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Installed my dash cam a couple weeks back and I managed to tuck the wire behind the trim all the way down to the dash. From there, I'm running the wire down the outside of the dash where it meets the door and under the floor mat to the center console USB. All of the wire is concealed except the 2 or so feet on the outside of the dash. Because the door closes on it, the electrical tape adhesive gave up pretty quick.

Anyone have any ideas for really sticky black tape that is not going to look like crap?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Any reason you’re not running it inside the dash?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Installed my dash cam a couple weeks back and I managed to tuck the wire behind the trim all the way down to the dash. From there, I'm running the wire down the outside of the dash where it meets the door and under the floor mat to the center console USB. All of the wire is concealed except the 2 or so feet on the outside of the dash. Because the door closes on it, the electrical tape adhesive gave up pretty quick.

Anyone have any ideas for really sticky black tape that is not going to look like crap?

If you want sticky, grab some Gorilla Tape Black

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Weat...gorilla+tape+black&qid=1635429494&sr=8-4&th=1

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

3m doubleside tape is good for this

Sponsored

OP
OP
traxtion

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Any reason you’re not running it inside the dash?
Do you mean inside the dash and back out into the cab? Or wiring to an aux? Wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle to find a relay and use up an aux slot

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Why not tuck it behind the windshield and route it straight to the bus next to the battery?you can’t even tell mine Is installed

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Try gaffer tape. It should hold up to heat and come up clean when it's time to remove it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Gorilla tape has nothing on that 3M Tape. The 3M will stick better, the Gorilla is more tear resistant.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

Where do you have exposed wiring? On the flat side when you open the door? I have mine wired down the passenger-side A-pillar to the dash USB like you, and I only have the little bit that comes out near the glove box exposed, everything else fit under trim panels.

Maybe post a picture of where you mean. Otherwise, I second gaffer tape.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Do you mean inside the dash and back out into the cab? Or wiring to an aux? Wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle to find a relay and use up an aux slot
If you have the aux switches, you don't need to use one up for a dash cam. The under-dash wire bundle has two additional wires, one that's always hot and one that's hot when accessories are on. My dash cam (Blackvue) is wired to those two and I hid the wire from the dash cam under the A-pillar trim and behind the dash at the door, with no wire showing until it comes out from behind the trim piece where the door wiring harness is. No need to resort to USB or the 12V adapter.
Sponsored