Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
@alksion
Thanks for the first hand road trip / tow experience. My 392 is supposed to arrive this week and the 392 package (engine / driveline / brakes) for me is all about towing. We've towed our 2500lb tent trailer extensively with a V8 GC and typically get a little over 14mpg. That's coast to coast or in the mountain west, seems to be consistent, even at Montana speeds. With the 24g tank that made for decent range, typically close to 300 miles.

Was hoping the MDS V8 would give me similar fuel economy, if not range due to the smaller tank. If a person is comfortable running down 19g on the 21.5g JLUR2392 tank that's only a little over 200 miles - ouch!!

Another 10g minimum is needed + more if one is headed to the backcountry.

Thought long and hard about the diesel but the emission system complexity and cooling system limits scared me off.

I carry 10g of extra fuel on my tent camper for back country travel, but that is not in the least convenient for highway travel.

Watching for tank options too.
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
@alksion
Thanks for the first hand road trip / tow experience. My 392 is supposed to arrive this week and the 392 package (engine / driveline / brakes) for me is all about towing. We've towed our 2500lb tent trailer extensively with a V8 GC and typically get a little over 14mpg. That's coast to coast or in the mountain west, seems to be consistent, even at Montana speeds. With the 24g tank that made for decent range, typically close to 300 miles.

Was hoping the MDS V8 would give me similar fuel economy, if not range due to the smaller tank. If a person is comfortable running down 19g on the 21.5g JLUR2392 tank that's only a little over 200 miles - ouch!!

Another 10g minimum is needed + more if one is headed to the backcountry.

Thought long and hard about the diesel but the emission system complexity and cooling system limits scared me off.

I carry 10g of extra fuel on my tent camper for back country travel, but that is not in the least convenient for highway travel.

Watching for tank options too.
Hey we are in the exact same position then and we will be watching it together. If the aux tank option truly adds an additional 17 gallons, I think that's perfect. I do carry 6 gallons of fuel on the back of the trailer with my rotopax, but as you mentioned, that's for a serious bind or back country, but even then 6 gallons is not ideal for peace of mind in the back country. I still love this thing. Would not trade for a diesel, but it would be kick ass to have a diesel just for the trips!

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I've checked out the LRA tank, it is a clever execution. Unfortunately at this time a no-go with the 392 due to the exhaust system.

Regarding how it works, my understanding it replaces the OEM fuel filler pipe with a modified version with a Y that allows both tanks to fill together. The aux tank has a transfer pump with a timer that is controlled from the dash. When activated it transfers the fuel from the aux to the main. No tank select valve required. If you operate the switch while there is not enough room in the main tank, it just overflows via the Y filler pipe and returns to the aux.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I've checked out the LRA tank, it is a clever execution. Unfortunately at this time a no-go with the 392 due to the exhaust system.

Regarding how it works, my understanding it replaces the OEM fuel filler pipe with a modified version with a Y that allows both tanks to fill together. The aux tank has a transfer pump with a timer that is controlled from the dash. When activated it transfers the fuel from the aux to the main. No tank select valve required. If you operate the switch while there is not enough room in the main tank, it just overflows via the Y filler pipe and returns to the aux.
Beautiful well from what others have said it sounds like it’s in development even if it comes in six months just to know that it’s going to eventually come makes me happy :)

OP
OP
ozon8r

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Okay I am watching this thread.

I was just about to post something. I towed for the first time and was getting 11.2 MPG. The V8 engine was incredible as far as power and torque, did not even feel like there was a trailer behind me. That's where the fun ends.

I made so many stops at the gas station, it was actually slightly annoying. I know what I was buying prior to taking delivery of the vehicle, but using it on this last trip with the trailer was eye opening to say the least. I paid $5.20 for premium fuel in Indino, CA. Absolutely bonkers!

It's not even the money that bothers me the most. Sure it would be nice if premium was cheaper, but I can live with the cost. It's more to do with range fatigue and constantly having to stop for gas that I was severely disappointed with on this last trip. The auxiliary fuel tank is exactly what I need and will opt for it as soon as it's available to order, regardless of the weight it adds.

I told my wife, I wish we could just drop in the diesel for the trips and swap back to the 392 when we get home. That would be ideal!

I am actually going to order her a 2022 and will probably opt for the diesel for the longer road trips we have planned across multiple states. For local camping, we can take the 392 but anything that is spanning 1-2 states, the diesel will be the go to.

Sorry if this was long winded as its a bit of rant. I am not ungrateful and love my 392 except for this one portion of traveling/fuel issues.

tempImage6xIS6B.png

tempImageMXnAXY.png

IMG_38E9F30F78D3-1.jpeg

IMG_8A653F59EE6C-1.jpeg
Great photos. Dude, I can't get 11 MPG with all the weight out, spare tire removed. And you are doing it with an awesome rig in tow. I get over 10MPG and get all excited that I am helping the environment LOL.

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Beautiful well from what others have said it sounds like it’s in development even if it comes in six months just to know that it’s going to eventually come makes me happy :)
Yes it is in development and we will be waiting with baited breath, breathing fire.

alksion that trailer, the rig and the whole setting is awesome! Thanks for posting.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Great photos. Dude, I can't get 11 MPG with all the weight out, spare tire removed. And you are doing it with an awesome rig in tow. I get over 10MPG and get all excited that I am helping the environment LOL.
Thanks! Can't wait to actually get out my mirrorless camera on the next trip and take some real photos. That should be awesome. How are you only getting 10MPG? That's crazy haha. You must love that pedal more than I do, which I did not think was possible.
Yes it is in development and we will be waiting with baited breath, breathing fire.

alksion that trailer, the rig and the whole setting is awesome! Thanks for posting.
Same. In the meantime, we will probably just be camping locally :) Appreciate the kind words about the rig. I envisioned both of them during my research more than 6 months ago, so to see them both together exactly how I pictured in my vision is awesome to say the least. I want to get 35" BFG's and some 392 take offs to match later on down the road.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Excuse my ignorance but how does this work exactly? I am not seeing it on their website.
Not sure on the LRA, but the aux tanks we’ve had on our work trucks have a fuel pump that refills the primary tank when you hit a switch.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Not sure on the LRA, but the aux tanks we’ve had on our work trucks have a fuel pump that refills the primary tank when you hit a switch.
That is how they work. A transfer pump with switch and gauge in the cab. If it runs dry for a few seconds it shuts off.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Any update? Has anyone heard of possible release dates?

Dpsmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ZR2 Bison Duramax / 2022 JLU 392 AEV JL370
Love AEV's stuff. In my case my stock steel bumper messed by body up on my '19 JLUR coming off rock faces. Given I'll want extra fuel, the AEV makes perfect sense. Though I'm somewhat concerned about weight with the front/rear bumpers.
For those with the MOPAR Tailgate reinforcement the AEV Fuel Caddy does not fit.

The AEV fuel caddy will not fit due to interference with the antenna/flag mount on top of the reinforcement bracket, but the rest of the tire carrier clears without issue.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK