Sponsored

What is one of the most overlooked features of your Jeep?

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Uconnect is also free for the first year, but you need to register separately from SiriusXM. If you still have free SXM you should have free Uconnect.
I created an account at SiriusXM so I have a username and profile (is the SXM app) but when I am in Uconnect it says "there are no active subscriptions available". I think you have to have Sirius Guardian which is not included for free with my trial.
Sponsored

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I interpreted your question (overlooked feature) as what feature on your Wrangler is not used (or overlooked) the most. I did not read it as what is one of the nice features you have that you like.
With that, I would say - 4 wheel drive. I have only owned one other 4 wheel drive vehicle (2005 Suburban) and I have to say I only used 4 wheel drive on it a couple of times. I don't anticipate using 4 wheel drive much with the Wrangler so I am calling it the most overlooked feature. So why did I get a Wrangler then? For everything else about it!

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
For me it's two-fold:

1.) The side vents that stop hood flutter... Drove thru the desert this weekend in 40mph crosswinds and didn't see the hood move once.

2.) Increased venting on the rear door... No more "helicopter noise" in any window / panel top configuration

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I am ashamed to admit that the heated steering wheel was the final determining factor for trading the JK for the JL. (not really ashamed)
I got the tow package just so I could have integrated buttons for my ancillary lights. Seriously - what am I gonna tow behind a two door?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I got the tow package just so I could have integrated buttons for my ancillary lights. Seriously - what am I gonna tow behind a two door?
I used to tow my Harbor Freight foldable trailer when I had my 2 door

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
For me it's two-fold:

1.) The side vents that stop hood flutter... Drove thru the desert this weekend in 40mph crosswinds and didn't see the hood move once.
More likely the redesigned hood hold-downs than the side vents (which I believe are there for visual distinction from a JK). The JK hood hold-downs are a soft rubber, thus the JK hood flutter. I put Daystar hood hold-downs on my JK, no more hood flutter. I think the better hood hold-downs on the JL are what keep the hood from fluttering". Either way, no hood flutter without paying extra for aftermarket parts/fixes, is a win!

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No question... the turning radius.
Simply amazing.
Is the JL Unlimited turning radius better than the JK Unlimited? My TJ could do a u-turn on my street with room to spare. My JKU requires a 3-point turn. :( Is the JLU turning radius better than the JKU?
I can understand a 2-door having amazing turning radius, but the 4 door?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
More likely the redesigned hood hold-downs than the side vents (which I believe are there for visual distinction from a JK).
The JL-generation side vents are functional, and serve to draw heat away from the engine compartment.

The horizontal hood vents on the Rubes are non-functional, and serve just as an aesthetic flourish.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JL-generation side vents are functional, and serve to draw heat away from the engine compartment.

The horizontal hood vents on the Rubes are non-functional, and serve just as an aesthetic flourish.
You are correct in both cases (side vents functional, hood vents not). Jeep did spend money (engineering) making the side vents functional, so there had to be a reason beyond a distinguishing feature between JK and JL (as I said). Still, I stand by my opinion that the hood hold downs are what prevent hood flutter, not the side vents. Heat extraction makes sense. No offense intended to @WhtRubi .

My apologies for the hijack of this thread. I shouldn't have commented. :facepalm: I hate hijackers. :)
I'm learning a lot about the JL i this thread.

Last edited:

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
You are correct in both cases (side vents functional, hood vents not). Jeep did spend money (engineering) making the side vents functional, so there had to be a reason beyond a distinguishing feature between JK and JL (as I said). Still, I stand by my opinion that the hood hold downs are what prevent hood flutter, not the side vents. Heat extraction makes sense.

My apologies for the hijack of this thread. I shouldn't have commented. :facepalm: I hate hijackers. :)
I'm learning a lot about the JL i this thread.
When the JL was first released there was a video where a Jeep Engineer (can’t remember the name but I think he was the head engineer) said the side vents were added to reduce the hood flutter. Of course he also said the Rubicon hood vents were functional so I guess you could take that with a grain of salt.

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the JL was first released there was a video where a Jeep Engineer (can’t remember the name but I think he was the head engineer) said the side vents were added to reduce the hood flutter. Of course he also said the Rubicon hood vents were functional so I guess you could take that with a grain of salt.
I recall that video too. :)

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I used to tow my Harbor Freight foldable trailer when I had my 2 door
I have found one off-road teardrop trailer that I can tow with my capacity. Pretty stoked!

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I only recently learned that I can TAP the VR (voice) button on the steering wheel to access uConnect's functions directly, and then I can HOLD the VR (voice) button on the steering wheel to engage Siri on my iPhone.

I had no idea it was a dual-purpose button (and I like it)!
Sponsored