Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I’d love to hear your reasoning to back up the claim that Toyota makes the best gear oil.
Well, a buddy of mine gave me a bunch of it when he quit Toyota. (There's a certain amount they give you for every job and it was always too much, so he had extra) It just seems to hold up better than other gear oil. And it doesn't stink nearly as much
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Well, a buddy of mine gave me a bunch of it when he quit Toyota. (There's a certain amount they give you for every job and it was always too much, so he had extra) It just seems to hold up better than other gear oil. And it doesn't stink nearly as much
Would love to see a UOA of it to see how it compares to other mainstream oils. How does it hold up "better"?

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So 0 data….. check.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to see a UOA of it to see how it compares to other mainstream oils. How does it hold up "better"?
Very high probability that it is Mobil 1. They supply Toyota's synthetic motor oil.

Sponsored

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
Am planning on changing diff fluids this week. I've got the fluid types sorted but was wondering... The dealership told me I should pull the diff cover completely and clean out the inside of the diff with brake clean while doing it, forgive me for not necessarily trusting the dealership but is this actually necessary? My preference would obviously be to just pull the plugs and do it that way but open to reasoning.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Am planning on changing diff fluids this week. I've got the fluid types sorted but was wondering... The dealership told me I should pull the diff cover completely and clean out the inside of the diff with brake clean while doing it, forgive me for not necessarily trusting the dealership but is this actually necessary? My preference would obviously be to just pull the plugs and do it that way but open to reasoning.

Sure some guys/gals advocate pulling the diff covers and then cleaning up the inner's of the diffs. I'm not going to get into a back and forth here in regard to what some/I think is prudent..

For most guys/gals that have a JL and the vehicle is say their daily driver and little more, I can't see pulling the covers and cleaning the inner's.

Sure, if you pull the drain plug and it is loaded with metal or you see metal pieces in the drained diff fluid then... yes, pull the covers..

My feeling is the fill and drain holes are on the diffs for a reason... So so nice not having to do the RTV dance unless you need to..

With that said, I myself do not pull covers on JK's or JL's these days unless I think there is a valid reason to do so, or if say, the diff covers in use do not have drain and fill holes..

@YYC Rubicon , if you plan on using the drain and fill holes, always loosen the fill hole first so you know you can get the fill plug loose/off before you drain out the diff fluid. When you replace the plugs, (both) DO, apply yellow Teflon tape to the plugs prior to putting them back in.

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
Sure some guys/gals advocate pulling the diff covers and then cleaning up the inner's of the diffs. I'm not going to get into a back and forth here in regard to what some/I think is prudent..

For most guys/gals that have a JL and the vehicle is say their daily driver and little more, I can't see pulling the covers and cleaning the inner's.
Thanks for the feedback!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I just crossed the 15K mile mark and am having this inner debate with myself over whether I should go with the 75w90 or 75w140. My 2-door Sport has the M220 rear, and the 2018 manual says the M220 rear with Trac-Lok should get 75w85 and the additive. I know the pic @Rhinebeck01 posted of the 2019 manual has updated specs of using 75w140 if you are towing. I don't have the tow package, but do take the Jeep a couple times a year to PA for wheeling at AOAA or Rausch Creek.

So, would the 75w90 suffice, or should I run the 140 since I wheel it occasionally?

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I just crossed the 15K mile mark and am having this inner debate with myself over whether I should go with the 75w90 or 75w140. My 2-door Sport has the M220 rear, and the 2018 manual says the M220 rear with Trac-Lok should get 75w85 and the additive. I know the pic @Rhinebeck01 posted of the 2019 manual has updated specs of using 75w140 if you are towing. I don't have the tow package, but do take the Jeep a couple times a year to PA for wheeling at AOAA or Rausch Creek.

So, would the 75w90 suffice, or should I run the 140 since I wheel it occasionally?
I think I will prob do 1 quart of 75w140 and .6 quart 75w90 in the rear next time. Def noticed a hit to gas mileage/shift points (especially when it’s cold) with 75w140. I have the tow package, but don’t really tow. Would still like a little extra protection, so think this will be a good compromise.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I would run 75W-140. There could be a miniscule drop in MPG (though your right foot and a headwind will impact MPG more than gear oil viscosity ever will). FCA (like every other OEM) is trying to stretch MPG by reducing viscosity which does not equate long service life and there is no such thing as a lifetime fill--unless you are looking to shorten the lifetime by not changing the oil.

Given the temperatures at which these axles operate when combined with the reduction of oil capacity from previous generations is all the more reason to increase the protection level. I look at this like this--I would rather have the protection and not need it instead of vice-versa.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I would run 75W-140. There could be a miniscule drop in MPG (though your right foot and a headwind will impact MPG more than gear oil viscosity ever will). FCA (like every other OEM) is trying to stretch MPG by reducing viscosity which does not equate long service life and there is no such thing as a lifetime fill--unless you are looking to shorten the lifetime by not changing the oil.

Given the temperatures at which these axles operate when combined with the reduction of oil capacity from previous generations is all the more reason to increase the protection level. I look at this like this--I would rather have the protection and not need it instead of vice-versa.
Just came back from AutoZone. I went with the 75w-140 Valvoline in the pouches. Will do the diff and engine oil (due for that one too) later on once it cools off a bit, and update with what the fluid and drain bolt looks like. Hopefully everything is in good shape...the stories of these Trac-Lok units self-destructing has me slightly nervous, which is why I went for the early fluid change.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just came back from AutoZone. I went with the 75w-140 Valvoline in the pouches. Will do the diff and engine oil (due for that one too) later on once it cools off a bit, and update with what the fluid and drain bolt looks like. Hopefully everything is in good shape...the stories of these Trac-Lok units self-destructing has me slightly nervous, which is why I went for the early fluid change.
Bam...the Valvoline is fine and the flex pouches make it an easy job. You are doing the right thing by changing it early.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

All owners manuals for 18 to 21 models say 75w85 regardless of towing and every tech at my CDJR dealership I work at says to use the 75w85 except for the M200 which is the Dana 35 I believe. No, the 75w140 probably won't hurt anything. I drove mine 16 hours to Moab wheeled for 3 days plus had the Jeep loaded down in the back. I checked the rear diff, and did not feel anymore warm than doing a 20 mile drive to town.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
All owners manuals for 18 to 21 models say 75w85 regardless of towing and every tech at my CDJR dealership I work at says to use the 75w85 except for the M200 which is the Dana 35 I believe. No, the 75w140 probably won't hurt anything. I drove mine 16 hours to Moab wheeled for 3 days plus had the Jeep loaded down in the back. I checked the rear diff, and did not feel anymore warm than doing a 20 mile drive to town.
Yet Dana and the Jeep factory service manual recommend 75w140. I wouldn't put any stock in what a dealer tech has to say about anything.
Sponsored