Tuning the 3.0 Diesel?

El Barto

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Mercury Cougar XR7 1971
I had it Custom tuned localy. With 300 HP and 662 Nm torque as result. Add a pedal commander and it ‘s a huge upgrade. About 8% better fuel economie aswel, when you drive it as before ofcourse, not using the extra horses...
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Very nice! I want......

Do you know if we can send GDE an ECU that we'd purchase, like we did on the gen2 trucks?
Yes, as long as the ECU is flashed as a 100% clone to your vehicle, you can ship them that one and they'll tune it for you. That's the only thing I'd do personally. Actually I may wait because he's hoping to have a handheld flash tool available in the future.

Trans. programming will already use a handheld anyway.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Do they regen more after being tuned? I’d think they would because you would add fuel (and timing)?
No they regen less with the GDE tune because it runs a lot cleaner with the low pressure side of the EGR being used 99% of the time and pilot fuel injections altered.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
The GDE tune is coming to market by Halloween. VERY nice results. These are always top-notch tunes done in a nearly OE environment and testing. The best you can possibly buy.

Here's some early info:

https://greendieselengineering.com/...-wrangler-gladiator-performance-fuel-economy/
Awesome! They told me last spring that it should be ready sometime this fall, can't wait! It was literally the first mod I did to my then new 2016 Ram 1500 Eco and the results were impressive.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Yes, as long as the ECU is flashed as a 100% clone to your vehicle, you can ship them that one and they'll tune it for you. That's the only thing I'd do personally. Actually I may wait because he's hoping to have a handheld flash tool available in the future.

Trans. programming will already use a handheld anyway.
I need to correct this. I've been told by GDE that clone or blank ECUs will not be accepted. Stock ECUs only at this time.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I need to correct this. I've been told by GDE that clone or blank ECUs will not be accepted. Stock ECUs only at this time.
What is involved in removing ECU?

JDZ1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
HD diesel tune in my Ram ecodiesel for over a year and been great. EGR delete as well.
went from 23-24mpg to 29-30. Smoothed out power delivery. This was done via hand held tuner.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Yes, I emailed GDE and was told the same. I wonder what specifically, is preventing a clone ecu from being viable, or what is specifically preventing a clone from being made, etc.?

Or is it an epa rule problem rather than a technical one?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
A little more clarification from GDE this morning: "There is learned data in the stock ECM. Keep the cloned ECM to use as your stock one."

So he does, in fact, need the stock original PCM out of the truck to do the tuning. Why, I still don't know. But it is what it is....

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So just to update, the GDE tuning is officially available and for sale on their website now.

I've been running it a couple of weeks in my JT. Rather than type an e-novel here, if anybody cares to hear my thoughts on it you can head over to the "OFFRD" channel on YouTube.

The best thing about this tune is the work they put into it to make it safe, reliable, powerful, and EPA legal all at the same time.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
I’m crossing the border tomorrow morning and heading to an in-house tuning appointment at GDE for 09:30. Can’t wait!

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I’m crossing the border tomorrow morning and heading to an in-house tuning appointment at GDE for 09:30. Can’t wait!
Did you have a chance to watch OFFRD YouTube video? If not, you should look at it. He had his Gladiator tuned by GDE and he is sharing his experience with it. Not all that great. I have my eyes on tuning options but want to see how each is performing before I commit. I am sure they will improve all wrinkles over time but my impression is not 100% positive.
Sponsored