Sponsored

Front or Rear Locker?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to lie, I about hijacked a different thread on locking, but rather than do that I decided to make it it's own thread.

I have an honest question I've had since my Scouts (a number a years).

Why does everyone lock the rear first?

In my experience, I notice my front axle pull me over or through most things. AND the front axles usually have the most articulation versus the rears that kind of just get dragged along.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
May be a carry over from before air/electric lockers got popular. Permanent lockers suck on road, and you can disconnect the front with the transfer case. With the rear you have to live with it all the time.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I'm not going to lie, I about hijacked a different thread on locking, but rather than do that I decided to make it it's own thread.

I have an honest question I've had since my Scouts (a number a years).

Why does everyone lock the rear first?

In my experience, I notice my front axle pull me over or through most things. AND the front axles usually have the most articulation versus the rears that kind of just get dragged along.
That has been my experience in my TJ also, my front is locked, rear is LSD. There has only been less than a handful of situations I've been on that made me wish I could fully lock the rear.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There’s an Aussie YouTube dude who did a Pepsi challenge on front and rear lockers. Results went to the front if you only locked one.
So that confirms my theory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
May be a carry over from before air/electric lockers got popular. Permanent lockers suck on road, and you can disconnect the front with the transfer case. With the rear you have to live with it all the time.
Well even here though, the front tires would still want to turn at different rates.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well even here though, the front tires would still want to turn at different rates.
Thanks to the FAD in 2WD the locker is never on (front locker). In 4WD the auto locker allows the tires to turn at different speeds through a ratcheting mechanism. Some lockers are more agressive than others, regardless of how aggressive it is, there is an annoying constant clicking from the ratcheting mechanism. Imagine having that on the rear, since the rear is always loaded in 2WD. Annoying. Not only that but you kinda need to learn how to use the throttle to get the ratcheting to work, which depends on the locker. So you can see how the rear can be a pain.

Regarding your question. Ive seen a lot of testing where it is decided front is better than rear. At least for rocks. Yet when most people are asked they think rear is better. But anyway, I think the difference is marginal. And twin locked is where huge benefits show up.

I did get myself in sketchy situations with a rear LSD. When a rear LSD locks it acts a lot like a locker. And youd see the front of my Jeep lift and be a little unstable. Thats cause you have all that traction, all that pushing from the rear, and no pull from the front. Turn your rear locker on a rock climb and give it some gas to get over the rocks. Youll see what I mean.

A rear LSD and front locker is a really nice combo. Thats what I have right now.

Eventually I am gonna go twin locked, because thats the best, period.

I wouldnt think much about it. If i was twin locked and was in a crawling situation where i needed lockers i would just turn both.

OP
OP
IdahoJOAT

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I'm following your comment.
You said with a permanent locker. I assumed you meant like a posi or welded spider gears.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You said with a permanent locker. I assumed you meant like a posi or welded spider gears.
10-4, probably the wrong term, meant a non actuated locker, like a lunch-box locker.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I've done a few tests myself repeating a single obstacle. Selectable lockers front and rear.

Both open, I couldn't make the obstacle.

Rear locked, front open, I could make the obstacle.

Front locked, rear open, the front tires spun but I couldn't get up the obstacle.

Both locked, the obstacle was a cake walk.

The reason is simple. Weight transfer. When your nose is up on an obstacle, there is far less weight on the tires so they spin easier. With more weight on the rear tires you get better traction.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've done a few tests myself repeating a single obstacle. Selectable lockers front and rear.

Both open, I couldn't make the obstacle.

Rear locked, front open, I could make the obstacle.

Front locked, rear open, the front tires spun but I couldn't get up the obstacle.

Both locked, the obstacle was a cake walk.

The reason is simple. Weight transfer. When your nose is up on an obstacle, there is far less weight on the tires so they spin easier. With more weight on the rear tires you get better traction.
Exactly this. Rear almost always has more traction so that’s why it’s the first one locked in most cases. People who only want to spend the money on a single axle will almost always choose the rear. Maneuverability with the front locked can be very challenging when on terrain without much slippage as well.
Sponsored