Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'd wager that if you asked the dealer to "fix" the console issue you would end up with the removal and replacement of everything from the radio to the console and much more... which will yield you three things:

1) Time paying for a vehicle that you don't have.
2) Issues that you didn't have before (loose plastic, broken clips, things that no longer work, etc.)
3) The same problem with the console USB not working.

IMHO, it's just not worth. I'm the FIRST guy to take the "No! I want it right!" position, but in this case, I think it's an instance of asking a pigeon to be an eagle. The dealer is the pigeon, and you're expectations are that they are an eagle.

Or... I can think of a more polite way to phrase all of that:

Has anyone actually had their console USB go from not working to working properly with CarPlay?
Oh I wouldn't even ask the dealer to try and fix my issue. They'll just tell me it's a third-party accessory and to bugger off. I know this without even asking and wasting my time. And honestly I'm not sure they can do anything using factory parts anyway. If the issue is a too-small cable size causing a voltage drop, a replacement will do the same thing.

I might try and make my own better cable to the center console to see if that alleviates the voltage drop.

My center console USB works fine for CarPlay if I'm using a wired connection, that's never been a problem. I suspect that as the phone has a battery it can mask any voltage issues whereas my stand-alone adapter cannot.

What is a problem is the CarLinkit device reboots itself frequently in the center console port, but is rock solid up front. There's clearly a difference in the connection to the center console port vs the front port.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Oh I wouldn't even ask the dealer to try and fix my issue. They'll just tell me it's a third-party accessory and to bugger off. I know this without even asking and wasting my time. And honestly I'm not sure they can do anything using factory parts anyway. If the issue is a too-small cable size causing a voltage drop, a replacement will do the same thing.

I might try and make my own better cable to the center console to see if that alleviates the voltage drop.

My center console USB works fine for CarPlay if I'm using a wired connection, that's never been a problem. I suspect that as the phone has a battery it can mask any voltage issues whereas my stand-alone adapter cannot.

What is a problem is the CarLinkit device reboots itself frequently in the center console port, but is rock solid up front. There's clearly a difference in the connection to the center console port vs the front port.

Ah. There is where we differ then. My console USB didn't work wired, with an official Apple wire, either. So I do not think it's only the CarLinkit issue.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Ah. There is where we differ then. My console USB didn't work wired, with an official Apple wire, either. So I do not think it's only the CarLinkit issue.
I see you have a 2021 also, I thought I read there was a running change to enable CP to work from center console somewhere along the line, not even sure if it was the 2021s though.

I have a very early build 2021 (purchased in September 2020) and my center console USB works fine for wired CarPlay, it just doesn't work with the wireless CarLinkIt USB adapter. The same CL adapter works fine up front though.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see you have a 2021 also, I thought I read there was a running change to enable CP to work from center console somewhere along the line, not even sure if it was the 2021s though.

I have a very early build 2021 (purchased in September 2020) and my center console USB works fine for wired CarPlay, it just doesn't work with the wireless CarLinkIt USB adapter. The same CL adapter works fine up front though.

I think it has to do with the physical port. But I don't have a basis for that -- but it does seem that if the truck jostles a certain way, that's when it dies.

Gharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Good afternoon everyone,

Our teams have been looking into these concerns further and would like to ask if anyone has had the opportunity to update their phones to software level iOS 15.0.2? If so, are you still experiencing concerns with your center console relaying intermittently? Apple aimed to address CarPlay concerns in their most recent update.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I have a 2021 Sahara that I picked up from the dealer 2 weeks ago. My CarPlay when connected to the center counsel disconnects intermittently with the most recent iOS update and Apple cord.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Good to see I'm not alone.

I also have the CarLinIt... 2021 JL Freedom, 8.4" -- the thing is almost useless in the center console.

Question:
Does anyone know if the latest Uconnect update fixes the center console USB being crappy?

Thanks,
Pete
I use the center console USB and have no issues.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use the center console USB and have no issues.

What radio do you have?
Wired or wireless?
If Wired, Apple wire or after-market wire? Which wire?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
What radio do you have?
Wired or wireless?
Android wired with whatever cable I grab.
Android wireless with AAWireless.
Apple wired with whatever cable I grab.

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
What radio do you have?
Wired or wireless?
8.4 in a 2021 Wrangler Unlimited that was built in August 2021
Wired
Wire that is Apple Brand and therefore Apple Certified as well lol
iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.8
No problems when plugged into dash port but CarPlay reboots, mostly if try to make a phone call or do speech to text iMessage with Siri, if plugged into the console port. And the console port is what I want to use to keep wires out of sight.

Lifeisgolden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
8.4 in a 2021 Wrangler Unlimited that was built in August 2021
Wired
Wire that is Apple Brand and therefore Apple Certified as well lol
iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.8
No problems when plugged into dash port but CarPlay reboots, mostly if try to make a phone call or do speech to text iMessage with Siri, if plugged into the console port. And the console port is what I want to use to keep wires out of sight.
I have the same issue. It's good to know that you're running iOS 14.8 on an iPhone 13. I'm running 15.0.2 with the same issues. Directions freeze up and fail, music stops, have to unplug and replug for it to work.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue. It's good to know that you're running iOS 14.8 on an iPhone 13. I'm running 15.0.2 with the same issues. Directions freeze up and fail, music stops, have to unplug and replug for it to work.

Yeah. It's not a software or a phone issue. It's not a firmware issue with people running wireless dongles.

I don't know if it's the port or the wire, or something else. But there has to be a reason why it works for some people and not for others.

Gharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Yup, exactly what happens to me with 12 pro Max

Jaydonoghue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I am guessing this is a power issue of some sort. I've played with multiple cable/phone combinations.

Our iPhone 12 and 13 max pro both have problems. Things freeze and I have to unplug/replug to get it working again. Sometimes it lasts a couple of minutes, other times it stays connected for a while. Usually we have waze and some kind of music/podcast playing.

Other phones in the house do not have this problem - iphone 7, xs

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am guessing this is a power issue of some sort. I've played with multiple cable/phone combinations.

Our iPhone 12 and 13 max pro both have problems. Things freeze and I have to unplug/replug to get it working again. Sometimes it lasts a couple of minutes, other times it stays connected for a while. Usually we have waze and some kind of music/podcast playing.

Other phones in the house do not have this problem - iphone 7, xs
We have the same problem even on my wife's 7.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello again,

If you've ensured that both your mobile device and Uconnect systems are fully up to date, you've walked through the steps of properly re-enabling Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and the concerns have persisted after performing the final reboot, please send us a private message.

We'd like to offer support alongside any dealership visits so we can ensure that this gets properly resolved.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored