Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Bummer and Sahara still doesn’t have XR… hmmmm
I'm actually starting from scratch and I am nixing the XR package. I spec'd out a regular Willys with everything I want. And chose it with the 2.0. It's $5k cheaper. Thinking I can add the 2" Mopar lift and a set of 35s for around $3500. Most of my off-roading is trails and the beach. No rock crawling for me. So I really won't miss the other upgraded parts.
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'm actually starting from scratch and I am nixing the XR package. I spec'd out a regular Willys with everything I want. And chose it with the 2.0. It's $5k cheaper. Thinking I can add the 2" Mopar lift and a set of 35s for around $3500. Most of my off-roading is trails and the beach. No rock crawling for me. So I really won't miss the other upgraded parts.
I want the gearing. That’s the most important thing to me.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Bummer and Sahara still doesn’t have XR… hmmmm
Maybe see if painted fenders from the Rubicon fit? Buy them from a discounted Mopar dealer and install them yourself?

This video is for a catalytic converter replacement but it shows the front fender removal. Not too much work. Might need to replace a few cheap plastic fender clips if any break during removal. The clips are cheap. Other than that, nothing complicated.

Last edited:

Canes_JL

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4xe / 2023 Rubicon XR
Clubs

Thinking I can add the 2" Mopar lift and a set of 35s for around $3500. Most of my off-roading is trails and the beach. No rock crawling for me. So I really won't miss the other upgraded parts.
That's the plan with my current Willys....Mopar 2"lift and 35's since almost all we do is beach and planning the occasional trail.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I want the gearing. That’s the most important thing to me.
Yes that is worth atleast 2K alone just for this one option! Now for the other 2K you get The upgraded Front Dana 44 HD axles instead of the D30, you also get the upgraded HD performance brakes, let’s add in the Mopar rear Hinge gate reinforcement, then the awesome Beadlock capable Mopar Rims and 35” tires, one more add you also get 1.5” Lift and lastly All these parts are Factory Warranted!!!!! The wheels and tires alone would cost you 3K atleast also so as long as you like these rims which I do along with All these other upgraded parts it’s a NO Brainer!!!

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
That's the plan with my current Willys....Mopar 2"lift and 35's since almost all we do is beach and planning the occasional trail.
If you are doing beaches and trails why lift and 35s? Wouldn’t you be better off staying with a 32 or 33 and just going wider? This would save weight and disburse that weight better on the sand? The lift and added weight will effect MPG also if that is a concern. If you just like the look that is all the reason you need.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes that is worth atleast 2K alone just for this one option! Now for the other 2K you get The upgraded Front Dana 44 HD axles instead of the D30, you also get the upgraded HD performance brakes, let’s add in the Mopar rear Hinge gate reinforcement, then the awesome Beadlock capable Mopar Rims and 35” tires, one more add you also get 1.5” Lift and lastly All these parts are Factory Warranted!!!!! The wheels and tires alone would cost you 3K atleast also so as long as you like these rims which I do along with All these other upgraded parts it’s a NO Brainer!!!
Well it’s funny actually because I promised my wife once I got most of my parts installed on my 392 that I would start working on her Sahara altitude.

But after considering the cost and then of course needing to Regear the Sahara for the bigger tires and lift, I started looking at just replacing the less than one year old Jeep entirely. Plus she wants Tuscerado, so there’s that too ;)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it’s funny actually because I promised my wife once I got most of my parts installed on my 392 that I would start working on her Sahara altitude.

But after considering the cost and then of course needing to Regear the Sahara for the bigger tires and lift, I started looking at just replacing the less than one year old Jeep entirely. Plus she wants Tuscerado, so there’s that too ;)
Used values are probably still above average. I would do it if they are. Start fresh with a fresh warranty on everything. Plus resale will be way better than a modded JL unless you happen to find a buyer who wants everything you do.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Great decision for sure!!! And if you are going to sell her Sahara the Jeep’s seem to be better priced by selling to a reseller vs selling yourself privately or even trading it in. I would highly suggest you go onto Vroom.com and Carvana.com first and get a price from them you maybe surprised!! you will get prices typically online from them within an hour. Lastly I always check Carmax also but you have to drive it there and have them appraise it which usually takes about an hour. From there obviously sell to the highest price. I have sold several cars in the past to Carmax but more recently I have sold my last two cars to Carvana because they were the best price and super easy to deal with. I haven’t sold to Vroom yet but if their price came in higher I would have no issue and I do know people that have sold to Vroom also with no problems. Good luck

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys

”She wants” are the only two words that really matter in the whole post.

Sponsored

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
If you are doing beaches and trails why lift and 35s? Wouldn’t you be better off staying with a 32 or 33 and just going wider? This would save weight and disburse that weight better on the sand? The lift and added weight will effect MPG also if that is a concern. If you just like the look that is all the reason you need.
I'll answer this too because his reply was to me about the same use. Many of the trails I'll be running still might require some areas of high clearance. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I guess I used the general term trails as that would be a primary use and not rock crawling. As far as the beach areas of our beaches can be pretty soft and uneven. Another benefit of more clearance.

In regards to tires in my experience taller and narrow tires do better in the sand than wider tires.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great decision for sure!!! And if you are going to sell her Sahara the Jeep’s seem to be better priced by selling to a reseller vs selling yourself privately or even trading it in. I would highly suggest you go onto Vroom.com and Carvana.com first and get a price from them you maybe surprised!! you will get prices typically online from them within an hour. Lastly I always check Carmax also but you have to drive it there and have them appraise it which usually takes about an hour. From there obviously sell to the highest price. I have sold several cars in the past to Carmax but more recently I have sold my last two cars to Carvana because they were the best price and super easy to deal with. I haven’t sold to Vroom yet but if their price came in higher I would have no issue and I do know people that have sold to Vroom also with no problems. Good luck
Carmax had a online appraiser when I checked prices. Carvana, Carmax, Vroom and all the others are good options. Pricing can vary substantially depending on their own inventory and algorithms. I would not hesitate selling to any of these.

Values have changed but it is definitely worth a few minutes to shop it around to see what something is worth today.

I sold my loaded '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque w/ 25K miles back in May to Vroom after shopping it around to Carmax, Carvana, and a few local dealers. I sold it for more than I originally paid brand new. I am about to order a 2022 JLR 3.6 eTorque. Pretty much the same options but with the 3.6 eTorque, Rock-Trac, Gorilla Glass this time. I loved the 2.0T eTorque but that combo is not available now. The only 2.0 engine option for a Rubicon automatic has ESS. It will cost me about $2K more than what I sold the 2019 for. The 2.0 w/ESS probably would have been close to even money because the 3.6 eTorque is a extra charge now. That's still not bad considering the 2022 is 3 full model years newer and will have a little more equipment. Plus a fresh warranty and hopefully a little more resale value in the future.

Last edited:

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Used values are probably still above average. I would do it if they are. Start fresh with a fresh warranty on everything. Plus resale will be way better than a modded JL unless you happen to find a buyer who wants everything you do.
”She wants” are the only two words that really matter in the whole post.
Yup! I’m getting some quotes right now and checking on the painted fenders and hard top just to confirm.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup! I’m getting some quotes right now and checking on the painted fenders and hard top just to confirm.
Don't just get prices from the big 3 online dealers like Carmax, Vroom, Carvana. Make a few calls to your local Jeep dealers and even the smaller used car dealers. I sold to Vroom but a smaller local used car dealer actually offered me $1200 more than Vroom. I ultimately sold to Vroom because I was a little concerned about waiting for a check to clear from a small dealer who was kind of new.

CCWillys

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC, JLU Willys on the way
I sold to vroom. $5k more than dealer and highest quote from all.
Sponsored