OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
If your Jeep isn’t starting. Your issue may be with the battery. Start with that first. The JLs electronics do all sort of crazy things with a faulty battery. (It might not even be a uconnect issue)
no, they were 2 separate issues. Replacing the starter battery had no effect on the uconnect problems. My dealer has had 4 of the 8.4 systems do the same as mine in the past 3 months. Their reliability is very poor (as we all know from reading the forum.)

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is an easy install, buy and install yourself for much less.
I did install myself, but not a Uconnect. I got the Heigh10 for about the same price as the Uconnect and it does pretty much everything the Uconnect did plus a lot more. No way I would buy a Uconnect on purpose.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
no, they were 2 separate issues. Replacing the starter battery had no effect on the uconnect problems. My dealer has had 4 of the 8.4 systems do the same as mine in the past 3 months. Their reliability is very poor (as we all know from reading the forum.)
My 8.4 uconnect used to experience various issues from time to time as well.
However the latest OTA update apparently fixed that, so far so good.
Have you gotten the recent OTA update yet?

Vetteone

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sorry, but no easy cheap fix. I went with the heigh10. Not cheap, but 1000 x better than Uconnect unit. Love it. (Not to mention wireless CarPlay with a cheap dongle
Thanks WIRED>>>, Hate to go aftermarket with a new Jeep but I'm going to have to look into it and see what's out there for mine. Can't believe the cost of an original replacement.

Sponsored

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
So my 2018 JLUR, almost 3 years old and UConnect 8.4 touchscreen just started going crazy like someone was constantly pressing multiple buttons without stopping. Makes it totally unusable. Dealer says, no problem, we will sell you a new one. (Didn't know the price yet.) I paid a lot for a radio to last less than 3 years. (Also jumped the jeep off the past 2 days, Kept on trickle charger overnight, still wouldn't start. Guessing the starting battery is dead and will need to be replaced. Wonder what's next?
I too have a 2018 JLUR with the 8.4. It has always been slightly glitchy, but mostly tolerable since I have owned it (Ordered from factory new). Mine has recently exhibited the exact same symptoms you've described. I went as far as unhooking the battery completely hoping to reset or fix the glitch. Still, this radio might as well be a black hole in the dash for what its good for.

I am contacting my dealer (spent a pretty penny on an extended warranty) hopefully its covered...

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have a 2018 JLUR with the 8.4. It has always been slightly glitchy, but mostly tolerable since I have owned it (Ordered from factory new). Mine has recently exhibited the exact same symptoms you've described. I went as far as unhooking the battery completely hoping to reset or fix the glitch. Still, this radio might as well be a black hole in the dash for what its good for.

I am contacting my dealer (spent a pretty penny on an extended warranty) hopefully its covered...
Good luck. Hopefully your warranty covers it. I tried every update on the Uconnect, resetting, fuses, and some other soft/hard resets for that unit. The problem was in the touch screen itself or the touch screen interface. Apparently it happens quite a bit. Mine was #4 or 5 in our small dealership. Even when the Uconnect is not broken it is very glitchy (rear cam may work or not, volume may change by itself, radio may not work, etc.) If you have to pay to replace, consider the Heigh10. I am very happy with mine and love the extra functionality (multiple cameras, ESS shut off, changing button functionality etc.)

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
Good luck. Hopefully your warranty covers it. I tried every update on the Uconnect, resetting, fuses, and some other soft/hard resets for that unit. The problem was in the touch screen itself or the touch screen interface. Apparently it happens quite a bit. Mine was #4 or 5 in our small dealership. Even when the Uconnect is not broken it is very glitchy (rear cam may work or not, volume may change by itself, radio may not work, etc.) If you have to pay to replace, consider the Heigh10. I am very happy with mine and love the extra functionality (multiple cameras, ESS shut off, changing button functionality etc.)
I'm definitely looking at upgrading and the Heigh10 was on the top of my list! I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend 2k on though :(

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You can always just replace the screen itself. Not sure what prices are today, but they used to average around $500. Obviously a hefty price, but it's cheaper than an entire radio and if you've got some form of technical skill, it's incredibly easy to do.

DarkWater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubi
You can always just replace the screen itself. Not sure what prices are today, but they used to average around $500. Obviously a hefty price, but it's cheaper than an entire radio and if you've got some form of technical skill, it's incredibly easy to do.
I’ve been looking, Ive seen some (probably not OEM) that ran about $150. Problem i

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Problem is, I’m not sure if that’s the problem or not?
It most likely is. The digitizer on the screen is the only means to interface with menus and options on the unit and if your device is acting like these are being actuated constantly, especially in multiple locations simultaneously, that's typically the culprit. The technology is no different than what's in every cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

The CANBUS can exchange information and communicate vehicle settings back and forth between the computer and UConnect, but interaction with the device is solely handled by the digitizer or the physical controls below. And since your HVAC settings aren't haywire and your radio volume isn't fluctuating in response to a nearby UFO, you can probably eliminate the latter.

Integron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I know this is a dated thread but I wanted to let it be known, my 7" screen was going hay-wire as if it was hacked. I finally figured out that I had two different car makers FORD and JEEP connected via Bluetooth on my cellphone. As I sat in my jeep next to the Ford Expedition Platinum 4x4, the jeeps uconnect screen was going crazy. I would press a button and it would switch to a different button. Troubleshooting led me to reset my phones bluetooth connections as to simply removed the Ford blue tooth connection and everything was ok again.