Heated seat and steering wheel come on automatically

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
Got into the car yesterday morning, first cold one since I got her, may be around 3 degC or about 37F in old money and was pleasantly surprised when the heated seats and steering wheel turned on automatically. I thought to myself, this is a nice touch, my previous Jeeps (wk2, wj) never had such wizardry. I have to admit, I like small touches like that, but...

then it goes and ruins it by allowing the wipers to come on by themselves and in doing so, destroying one of the wiper blades. I mean really, WTF...

How can you do something as a result of temperature, yet simply not prevent another. I'm pretty sure my wk2 didn't auto wipe when cold until the wipers were manually engaged first, in an attempt to prevent this sort of thing.

Now I know the JL doesn't have auto wipers (rain sensing) and I know I must have left them on intermittent, but still, inhibiting them under such conditions should be the same.

The disappointment just continues with this bucket
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If the Jeeps ambient temp sensor behind the grill reads 40° old money or less, the seats and steering wheel toast up and the heat blows on the high fan speed setting until a front door is opened. Possessed wipers has yet to be added to the cold weather package, so yeah, you must've left them on.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Lol dude you left the wipers on in the intermittent setting. This is not the vehicles fault. How can you even try to blame the vehicle for this?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. The wipers on this side of the Atlantic don’t come on automatically unless you left them on by mistake.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read my post properly before kicking off, I left the wipers on intermittent, so what, my previous Jeep did not do this, even if left on.

The point I was trying to make was that if they go to the point of making the heated items come on automatically as a result of a temperature set point, what mental deficiency does it take to take the same train of thought and applyit to something that could cause damage, like preventing the wipers until manually operated.

It’s almost as disappointing as the front defroster but that’s a whole other issue.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, the wipers should NOT come on, even if you left them on by mistake, when you start the Jeep with the remote.

It’s been raining nonstop here in Washington State for the past couple weeks: I leave the wipers on all the time; I can attest that they don’t swipe when I start the Jeep using the remote.

Perhaps you should get into the habit of starting the Jeep remotely. That’ll give you the chance to turn off the wipers before you push the Start button on the dash.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The wipers do not come on automatically due to cold weather. The seats and wheel can be set to do so, but not the wipers.

You left the wipers on, then they froze. You started the Jeep back up and they continued to run as set. You can't blame Jeep for that as it would have happened in any other vehicle too.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't mean this as a personal attack but there is an engineering saying about this sort of thing.
Making something idiot proof only results in better idiots.

Turn your wipers off when you're done driving in the rain.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I don't mean this as a personal attack but there is an engineering saying about this sort of thing.
Making something idiot proof only results in better idiots.

Turn your wipers off when you're done driving in the rain.
PEBKAC - Problem exists between keyboard and chair

Sponsored

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
While you're upset the wiper system doesn't work to YOUR preference, I imagine even more people would be upset if it didn't work like it's supposed to (ie, wipers work regardless as long as they're on an intermittent setting). I think it would be more annoying to get in your vehicle and visually see it's on one of the intermittent settings, and when you start it they don't work, so you have to dial them back to "off", then back to one of the intermittent settings.

I agree with others, turn them off before you turn off the vehicle. Sorry yours broke due to the situation. In cold weather I always auto start (which avoids this), so hopefully I don't run into it.

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading some of these replies, it's obvious you guys really are missing the point.

I'm not questioning whether or not the wipers should come on in cold weather.:CWL:

I'm not questioning the fact I left them on intermittent last time I was in the "car".

The wipers do not come on automatically due to cold weather. The seats and wheel can be set to do so, but not the wipers.
I never suggested they should come on automatically or expect them to, do you think I'm mad? What purpose would this possibly have?

You left the wipers on, then they froze. You started the Jeep back up and they continued to run as set. You can't blame Jeep for that as it would have happened in any other vehicle too.
Completely wrong, my 2012 Grand Cherokee would have prevented this, as would so many other cars that I've owned. The below is from the WK2, albeit with rain sensing wipers but as I say, I've had other cars with conventional wipers that did just that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Heated seat and steering wheel come on automatically Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 17.31.23

@Reinen as an engineer with over 30 years experience, I have honestly never heard this saying, but I do know the value of designing to protect equipment against human error.
Why cant we stop and start an automatic in Drive? Guess thats a safety thing eh... Or why does the stop/start feature prevent itself from operating under certain circumstances?

There are so many other features that they have thought of that are driver convenance or safety features, for example, if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open any doors within a short period of time, the doors will lock themselves again, I like this and can see why it's useful. Similar to the point of my post, the automatic switching on of the heated steering wheel and seats when below a certain temperature, so why in the name of [insert something funny in here] did they in their ultimate wisdom, allow the wipers to wipe on startup in such cold conditions when it can so easily damage wiper blades, mechanism or blow a fuse, nonsense.

Anyway, I think you guys are way to defensive over a brand in rapid decline. The quality of these Jeeps is absolutely atrocious, but again, thats a whole other story.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Shit it's time to trade the hunk of junk in then and get a awesome ford or chevy product. Man I tell you this fca stelios company can't get anything right.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This thread is an excellent example of how far people will go to avoid taking responsibility for their stupid mistakes.

The JL does not have automagic wipers. Get over it and operate your wipers accordingly.

The Jeep has a long history of being a customizable DIY manually operated vehicle. It's amazing the Jeep community have warmed up to the amount of automated features the JL does have.

Maybe you'd prefer to tout the superior features of a Lexus SUV? Jeeps are for people who care about things other than bells & whistles.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Reading some of these replies, it's obvious you guys really are missing the point.

I'm not questioning whether or not the wipers should come on in cold weather.:CWL:

I'm not questioning the fact I left them on intermittent last time I was in the "car".

I never suggested they should come on automatically or expect them to, do you think I'm mad? What purpose would this possibly have?

Completely wrong, my 2012 Grand Cherokee would have prevented this, as would so many other cars that I've owned. The below is from the WK2, albeit with rain sensing wipers but as I say, I've had other cars with conventional wipers that did just that.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 17.31.23.png

@Reinen as an engineer with over 30 years experience, I have honestly never heard this saying, but I do know the value of designing to protect equipment against human error.
Why cant we stop and start an automatic in Drive? Guess thats a safety thing eh... Or why does the stop/start feature prevent itself from operating under certain circumstances?

There are so many other features that they have thought of that are driver convenance or safety features, for example, if you unlock the car with the remote and do not open any doors within a short period of time, the doors will lock themselves again, I like this and can see why it's useful. Similar to the point of my post, the automatic switching on of the heated steering wheel and seats when below a certain temperature, so why in the name of [insert something funny in here] did they in their ultimate wisdom, allow the wipers to wipe on startup in such cold conditions when it can so easily damage wiper blades, mechanism or blow a fuse, nonsense.

Anyway, I think you guys are way to defensive over a brand in rapid decline. The quality of these Jeeps is absolutely atrocious, but again, thats a whole other story.
Other FCA products maybe? I don't know about JEEP being in rapid decline? The JEEP brand and products are probably keeping afloat some of the other FCA brands. Jeep especially the Wrangler, is the golden egg for Stallantis. They sell Wranglers as fast as they can make them. That was true before the pandemic and supply shortages.

Never owned a PSA product so cannot comment about them. I agree FCA products can improve QC wise. They are getting better. You think the JL is bad? It's by far the best Wrangler to date. What in it's class is better QC wise? The Defender or Bronco? Check out the new Bronco if you think the Wrangler is bad. Ford can't get them out the door and delivered because of all the QC issues. Ford has planned a redesign of the Bronco in 2025 even though the damn thing is barely out now. What UK brand is better QC wise? It's not like the UK is known for building reliable cars? The old jokes about British car reliability is earned. :LOL:

Too bad Toyota does not have a FJ or Land Cruiser like 4x4 that has a removable roof and doors.
Sponsored

Last edited: