Sponsored

Warranty - decisions...what are you going with?

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
So as i sit and wait for my build - i have a POS Jeep Renegade in the driveway that i cant reliably drive after an absolute nightmare since i got it...that is literally a story for its own thread

But in my massive service and repair history for it - i had the MOPAR Max Care warranty on it...cost i believe 5 grand when i bought the car - and the many non-powertrain issues i had all garnered a $200 deductible. Most of the time the repair was either less than $200, or just over $200 .... so i felt completely scammed every time. I never felt it was worth it....my transmission and engine REPLACMENT was all under powertrain coverage

im just floating out there to see what you guys ended up going with, any suggestions, advice, or warnings for the JL offerings - once my order comes in ill have to decide all this.

thanks in advance

Stay Thirsty my friends!
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
So as i sit and wait for my build - i have a POS Jeep Renegade in the driveway that i cant reliably drive after an absolute nightmare since i got it...that is literally a story for its own thread

But in my massive service and repair history for it - i had the MOPAR Max Care warranty on it...cost i believe 5 grand when i bought the car - and the many non-powertrain issues i had all garnered a $200 deductible. Most of the time the repair was either less than $200, or just over $200 .... so i felt completely scammed every time. I never felt it was worth it....my transmission and engine REPLACMENT was all under powertrain coverage

im just floating out there to see what you guys ended up going with, any suggestions, advice, or warnings for the JL offerings - once my order comes in ill have to decide all this.

thanks in advance

Stay Thirsty my friends!
Too bad about your experience with the Renee.

Personally, I never purchase extended warranties on anything. I’ve always felt I’d be paying more for the warranty and am skeptical that it’s only an attempt to get more money from us consumers.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

thanks in advance

Stay Thirsty my friends!
My brother owned a 2015 Renegade Trailhawk: that thing was at the shop every other week. Biggest piece of shit ever made.

So far, my JL has been trouble-free. But getting the dealer to do the steering TSB has been like pulling teeth, further reinforcing my distrust of Jeep dealers.

Buying an extended warranty requires good faith; I simply don’t trust FCA or its dealers to buy an extended warranty from them. They all are a bunch of lying scammers.

My plan is to drive this Jeep until the warranty ends in another year, and then decide what to do. Perhaps I’ll keep the Jeep and take my chances, or trade it in for another one, or trade it in for the new 4Runner, Tacoma, GMC Canyon or what not.

I know three people who own GMC Canyons: none of them have had any issues in 4-5 years owning those trucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't say I agree with that. By your logic, insurance of any kind is never a good bet. That can't be true, right?
insurance based on the risk of the individual works (auto, life, homeowners the track record of a vehicle statistics ) - since health insurance could care less of you smoke, drink, use drugs, etc it’s a failed system - but that another argument hahaha

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA keeps calling and mailing solicitations to sell me an extended warranty:
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty - decisions...what are you going with? 20211015_095201

Why should I buy anything from them when every interaction with my dealer's service dept is a fight, and I have to drag them kicking and screaming to honor even the most basic elements of the factory warranty...?

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA keeps calling and mailing solicitations to sell me an extended warranty:
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty - decisions...what are you going with? 20211015_095201

Why should I buy anything from them when every interaction with my dealer's service dept is a fight, and I have to drag them kicking and screaming to honor even the most basic elements of the factory warranty...?
Wow! And agree - you guys helping me make my decision

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I bought a factory extended warranty from an online dealer for my Raptor, and only used it once for an AC issue, so it was a money losing proposition for me.

I decided to try my auto insurance's mechanical breakdown coverage option this time for my JLUR. It's available if you add it to your policy within the first 12 month / 10k miles (something like that) and only costs ~$70/year, $200 deductible. I looked around a bit and the premium cost doesn't fluctuate much as the vehicle ages (I hope this is true). It has a cap like 7 years / 100k miles. And of course, it also prevents you from switching insurance company. Allegedly it covers everything other than wear and tear and routine maintenance. I'm not yet sure if I need a pre-approval from the insurance company before proceeding with a repair.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a factory extended warranty from an online dealer for my Raptor, and only used it once for an AC issue, so it was a money losing proposition for me.

I decided to try my auto insurance's mechanical breakdown coverage option this time for my JLUR. It's available if you add it to your policy within the first 12 month / 10k miles (something like that) and only costs ~$70/year, $200 deductible. I looked around a bit and the premium cost doesn't fluctuate much as the vehicle ages. It has a cap like 7 years / 100k miles. And of course, it also prevents you from switching insurance company. Allegedly it covers everything other than wear and tear and routine maintenance. I'm not yet sure if I need a pre-approval from the insurance company before proceeding with a repair.

Thoughts?
interesting I never heard of this - I’m going to look into it with my insurance

Sponsored

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
I ended up with this one by accident while adding my Jeep to the insurance from their app before I left the dealership.

$62/year, $250 deductible.

I have no idea if it’s any good or not, but I’m just serving as another data point.

8E49F3D4-C4F7-4241-913D-3AE142CE776E.jpeg

james@15

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JL Sahara
I just used my extended warranty and saved roughly 300.00 in parts and who knows in labor. I never get extended warranty but did in this purchase. My rational is that the Jeep will give me problems and this warranty will end up paying for itself. If you think the jeep will hold up and you wont use a warranty, then not worth it. If you are like me and realize "Its a Jeep thing" means problems, then buy.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

thanks in advance
If you're asking about purchasing an extended warranty, it's my policy to not do so.

In my experience, and that of most other folks with whom I've discussed the issue, major mechanical problems that do occur tend to do so during the initial 3/36 factory warranty period. Those owners whose new vehicles include, for example, 7/70 factory coverage for powertrain components, have that much more protection to bank on.

The wild card, in my view, has been and will continue to be the ever increasing presence of electronic controls and accessories on new cars and trucks. This is what convinced my wife to purchase an extended service contract (its correct name) when she purchased a new Honda in 2019. Her vehicle, her money, her choice. And it's not one that I can completely disagree with. Her SUV is "feature rich"; Lord knows how expensive it would be to replace Widget X just one day after the coverage expiration date. And so she pushed that date several years out for peace of mind.

I know you mention a bad experience with your Jeep Renegade. For context, I had a terrible experience with my Wrangler YJ, purchased new in Dec. 1994. Barely 5 months later, it required warranty replacement of the short block due to incorrect cylinder boring. When the same problem reoccurred a little while later, I sold the vehicle back to Jeep and walked away from the brand for 25 years.

With the foregoing in mind, I might have been expected to choose the top tier extended warranty/service plan when I purchased my new JLU last October. I declined, taking a chance that the model was now as good as the many reviews I read said it was. Thus far, it's been perfect.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I can't say I agree with that. By your logic, insurance of any kind is never a good bet. That can't be true, right?
It's just a plain old fact. Insurance isn't a good bet, ever. It's such a good idea that we have to mandate it for drivers, and raise prices through the roof on healthcare. You're better off saving your money and paying out of pocket.

I work directly with the dirtbags that refuse the warranty claims. They are almost never worth the money. Now someone will obviously come by and say BUT I GOT A NEW TRANSMISSION, being the exception to the rule.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just used my extended warranty and saved roughly 300.00 in parts and who knows in labor. I never get extended warranty but did in this purchase. My rational is that the Jeep will give me problems and this warranty will end up paying for itself. If you think the jeep will hold up and you wont use a warranty, then not worth it. If you are like me and realize "Its a Jeep thing" means problems, then buy.
And how much was the warranty?
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX