Sponsored

Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I haven't posted in a while...just been enjoying my 2021 80th Anniversary JLU...ordered from the factory...exactly as I wanted it...with a great discount. :)

A couple weeks ago we were inside watching TV at night and over the loud audio system and thru the wall A/C blasting we heard a loud bang outside.

Someone had come around the corner and hit my JLU which was parked in front of the house.

They hit hard enough to bend the tow hook, mangle the bumper brackets...and as it turns out buckle the frame rail near the driver side rear.

It is going through their insurance...but has anyone else experience this type of damage? Was it much effort to get the insurance company to replace the frame as opposed to trying to fix it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? 20210921_122706

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? 20210906_080900 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? 20210920_112037
Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
That doesn’t look like repairable frame damage to me and will likely require frame replacement. Parts scarcity may come into play on T/L or not though it doesn’t appear totaled on just cost of repairs. Remember break even calculations may also total a vehicle… ie if it’s a 40k jeep and the salvage value is 20k it only takes 20k to total it. Wranglers have some of the highest salvage values out there. If repaired and no other previous accidents I’d look into a diminished value claim, assuming he has enough coverage to pay for all damages.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry about this and man, how fast were they going??
Honestly I don't know. We heard the impact from inside the house. The speed limit in the neighborhood is like 20 mph and the roads are actually purposefully built with curves and not straight runs to minimize speeding. The body shop guy estimated 30 mph. If you believe the other cars story it was under 20 mph. I will say their air bags did not go off. But fast enough to create a nightmare I now have to deal with. :mad:

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn’t look like repairable frame damage to me and will likely require frame replacement. Parts scarcity may come into play on T/L or not though it doesn’t appear totaled on just cost of repairs. Remember break even calculations may also total a vehicle… ie if it’s a 40k jeep and the salvage value is 20k it only takes 20k to total it. Wranglers have some of the highest salvage values out there. If repaired and no other previous accidents I’d look into a diminished value claim, assuming he has enough coverage to pay for all damages.
Yeah...body shop said they may have to try...but he already looked into getting a new frame and said it would be about 1.5 weeks to get one if needed. What do you mean by "diminished value claim?"...trying to get money for the loss in market value? How would I handle that? With their insurance company?

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
As fellow 80th owner, that sucks. I don't know about your state laws, but in MA I would go through my own insurance company. The other insurance company will be paying the bill. I would think the frame would be replaced especially given it is less than 1 year old. Many years ago, I tried to go through the other drivers insurance company, they treated me poorly and they tried to cheap out on the repairs.

I would research who you want the replacing the frame. If the body doesn't have any damage, I would trust the Jeep dealership to make the repair with new Jeep parts.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As fellow 80th owner, that sucks. I don't know about your state laws, but in MA I would go through my own insurance company. The other insurance company will be paying the bill. I would think the frame would be replaced especially given it is less than 1 year old. Many years ago, I tried to go through the other drivers insurance company, they treated me poorly and they tried to cheap out on the repairs.

I would research who you want the replacing the frame. If the body doesn't have any damage, I would trust the Jeep dealership to make the repair with new Jeep parts.
Thanks for the info!

In this case the responsible party has the same insurance company as I do.

I don't know if it is always this way in NY, but I just opened a claim with the other party's insurance. He was all pissed off because I insisted on a police report and wouldn't make a cash deal with him, and so he didn't even tell his insurance company I would be calling. To add insult to injury they hit me with a rental car they had because their car got rear ended. So he has to pay for the rental car repair also.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Every state is different, but where I've handled claims, it really doesn't matter which carrier you go through, the shop makes the repairs to "pre-loss condition" and it should cost the same regardless of who is picking up the check, your carrier or their carrier.

A "kink" will typically tear, and that's why a frame may not be repairable; otherwise, frame repair is pretty easy and standard. You can bend and straighten a frame easy-peasy...unless it's kinked.

Diminished value is a claim that your vehicle, as a repaired vehicle, is worth less than a vehicle that has never had damage and been repaired. In some states it's not even allowed, while in others it's only allowed if you are having the other party's carrier handle claims, meaning in some states you cannot make the claim against your carrier, only a third-party carrier. It's something, from where I've handled claims, that is difficult to prove. If your vehicle is properly repaired is it really worth less? Who knows, but if you can prove someone wouldn't pay as much for your vehicle, even though the repairs are perfect, then you have diminished value. That being said, what if your vehicle is 10 years old instead of a year old, is it still worth less (two identical 2011 Jeeps, one repaired the other not, on the used market). So, ultimately, diminished value is a weird thing and difficult to prove exists at all, depending on the vehicle, the age, the market, etc.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mgg253 so the shop put her on the frame machine and "unbuckled" the frame and applied some paint. Here is what the frame fix looks like now (left frame rail behind the rear axle). Came to about $1650 (paid by the other party's insurance) including replacing the rear bumper and brackets. It has been suggested that I demand they replace the frame. I already sent a letter to the insurance company and need to see what they say. Thoughts or suggestions?

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? 20211011_101122 - Left Rail 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? 20211011_101128 - Left Rail 2

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Holy hell that doesn't look repaired to me. What happens if someone bumps it next time? Goes into rear passenger compartment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Simply put that’s NOT pre-loss condition. The strength of the frame is compromised there. That’s not a satisfactory repair and I would make sure the insurance company is aware of how it came out. If they say it’s good, then I’d be pissed and elevate. Hopefully it doesn’t require more kicking and screaming (or litigation) but first starts with giving them a chance to fix it

Deleted member 59498

I bet if I was buying it used and took it to a good shop for inspection they would say "hell no" if they were good at it. With it being on carfax as a crash etc.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This is how I see it. A kink in the frame rail that can’t be seen and has no mechanical affect on the vehicle. Or having someone at a Jeep dealer remove the body from the frame, then all of the susepnsion, drivetrain, wiring and brake lines from the old frame and transfer it to another frame, then mount your body back onto it. How many hundreds of bolts and fasteners will be turned? The potential for squeaks, rattles and improperly torqued bolts coming loose is very high. If I had a new vehicle that the frame was replaced on, I would trade it as soon as I could.

That having been said, the kink is close to the shock and suspension mounting points. It is a bad spot. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Modern high steel frames are very strong and stiff and light compared to C channel ladder frames. However, the wall thickness is not anywhere as thick as older frames. This frame is designed to absord impact to protect occupants.

I would want it checked by a shop, who is not on the insurance payroll, that specializes in that kind of work. If they say it’s good to go, or that there is a way to repair it to a high degree of quality and soundness, then I wouldn’t go through the trouble of having it swapped.
Sponsored