Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
which is the most compact Warn Winch available?
Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch with Syn. Rope, It has been installed for over 16 months and I use it for many different functions. I have had no issues of any kind with it. This is not my first Smittybilt. I have never had one fail. The price point is good and was easy to install. I have owned other brands in the past including a couple made by Warn, they have just gotten to expensive for me.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think WARN and SUPERWINCH are the only US made winches and WARN outsources their VR model to be built in China.
I see WARN's prices have skyrocketed, used to be you could pick on up for a grand now they are darn close to double that.

EDIT:
I do see you can pick up a Zeon 10S for $1500 on amazon. Still a lot of dough though.
Even their American assembled winches are built with foreign sourced components. I believe the motors come from Mexico and the solenoids from Brazil. At this point you’re just paying for the name. We run an x-bull 10k pound with synthetic line for under $400 from Amazon. Works like a charm the few times we’ve used it. Comes with 2 wireless remotes and a wired one. Unless I ran a recovery business, I can’t see spending $1500+ on an electric motor that my ultimate goal is not to use.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Got my new 2021 Rubi Xtreme Recon last week and starting to look at mods. came with 35"s and will be adding couple hundred lbs in bumpers. Any recommendation on winches for both capacity and brand. I have no idea who makes good quality. Most likely will be used minimally but wanna have it work when needed. Looking right now at the DV8 bumpers series but nothing bought yet.

Thoughts and recommendation?

Jeep.jpg
Go with a WARN. You already spent something like $60K on a Xtreme Rubicon don’t cheap out now. For about $200 more then the “low cost” brands you can get a WARN 8000 or 10000 VR EVO. Slightly less then the WARN ZEON winches, the VR EVO fits your needs for the occasional use or “just in case”. Plus if you should ever have a problem WARN has excellent CS and is a U.S. based company.

I have faith in WARN and have owned several over the last 35 years. My current JLUR I again went with WARN in the form of an EVO VR 8000 with synthetic line. More then adequate in my experience and fits my needs for light/medium duty winching.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Even their American assembled winches are built with foreign sourced components. I believe the motors come from Mexico and the solenoids from Brazil. At this point you’re just paying for the name. We run an x-bull 10k pound with synthetic line for under $400 from Amazon. Works like a charm the few times we’ve used it. Comes with 2 wireless remotes and a wired one. Unless I ran a recovery business, I can’t see spending $1500+ on an electric motor that my ultimate goal is not to use.
I'm super curious about the X-Bull.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Although clearly not rated for a real recovery situation, those units are impressive when coupled with a good cordless drill. We've used them for hoisting buss duct, cable tray, and even small transformers. I'd even bet it would work in a mild stuck situation where you only needed a small assist. If I didn't have a winch, I would consider tossing one in the tool bag just in case.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Whatever you do, if you haven't had one before, educate yourself on how and when to use it. I have seen some nightmares out there due the the improper use of winches and tow straps. Or just some who is dying to use their winch when stacking a couple rocks would do, slowing up everyone on the trail in the process.
You would be surprised how many people think that tow straps and recovery straps are the spame thing. Not even close.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Okay guys, I Googled it. Took only a few seconds to find this sad product. Kinda like putting a sock in your pants.

Video complete with badass generic heavy metal music that all car product videos seem to have these days.

Sadly, cant be used on plastic Jeep bumpers :CWL:

Schuter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado 2500
Thanks for posting this, I have been wondering the same thing. I have a older Warn M12000, but it seems a bit overkill...but I already have it. I have also been reading on the Badland Apex which has pretty darn good reviews. I think the fact that it is sold through HF causes people to hesitate, I know I do.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Okay guys, I Googled it. Took only a few seconds to find this sad product. Kinda like putting a sock in your pants.

Video complete with badass generic heavy metal music that all car product videos seem to have these days.

Sadly, cant be used on plastic Jeep bumpers :CWL:
I was really hoping that that was a spoof video but sadly there it is on the RC website for $29

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That old 12k Warn is super heavy. I used to install then in 90s when I worked for Ranch Hand. I wouldn’t want it on the front of a new JL. It would look great on a 70s-90s 3/4 or 1 ton truck though.
Sponsored