Sponsored

4xe Article: Top 10 reasons why you shouldn’t buy a Jeep Wrangler 4xe?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just sharing and article I recently found. Personally I think someone of this guy's reasoning is BD, but he does make a few valid points.

Sponsored

4XEJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Just sharing and article I recently found. Personally I think someone of this guy's reasoning is BD, but he does make a few valid points.

Thanks for sharing. I think a number of these points apply to Wrangler's in general but as mentioned there are a few valid and specific 4xe complaints such as some of the early hybrid/electric issues and parts availability.

Quote from the article:
"Unless you will be using the 4xe to do shopping, pick up kids from school, go to work for less than 21-mile distance, it will have worse fuel economy than any other Wrangler variant because to the increased weight of the battery pack and electric motor."

He is illustrating the perfect use case for the 4xe and really any plug in (PHEV). Which is my exact use case. I live in a first ring suburb and can commute downtown and back home on the battery alone. If I wanted to, I could charge at my building as well.

Overall some valid points and some clickbait IMO.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for sharing. I think a number of these points apply to Wrangler's in general but as mentioned there are a few valid and specific 4xe complaints such as some of the early hybrid/electric issues and parts availability.

Quote from the article:
"Unless you will be using the 4xe to do shopping, pick up kids from school, go to work for less than 21-mile distance, it will have worse fuel economy than any other Wrangler variant because to the increased weight of the battery pack and electric motor."

He is illustrating the perfect use case for the 4xe and really any plug in (PHEV). Which is my exact use case. I live in a first ring suburb and can commute downtown and back home on the battery alone. If I wanted to, I could charge at my building as well.

Overall some valid points and some clickbait IMO.
We're getting Tesla solar panels installed in November so won't be much of an issue. I like the extra torque and speed, with the potential gas mileage and electric charging as a bonus. Only thing holding me back is lack of a decent color since they don't offer it in Nacho or Punkin.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

When I read that it looked like he was really stretching the truth and using totally unreliable "Facebook" source that he just makes up. He should have stuck with 5 things maybe. Not saying he is wrong I don't own one, but using Prius as an example for the first hybrid jeep is not really a comparison. Especially not using a Tesla.

He is obviously not a Jeep owner if he doesn't understand the steering and ride of a Wrangler.

kayurii

First Name
Kailyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I haven't had a chance to drive the 4xe, hopefully soon, but either way I don't buy a jeep for a quiet ride 🙄

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I assume the sales volume on the 4xe is triggering these guys to develop some click bait to profit off of it.

Minimal noise difference on trail when the ICE kicks in, yeah right. Sure, the AC is loud, but there's a nice little button that turns that off. With the AC off the thing is damn near silent off road.

Direct comparison to a Prius and a Tesla for MPGe, come on.

Sure it's not the best option for long road trips, but it just means more stops at the pump. But the "biggest downside" is that it may randomly fail off road, give me a break (and that get's two numbers).

And he ends it with " Before placing an order bear in mind that any 4xe Wrangler journey should start with reserving at least $5.000-$10,000 for rental car. "

Now I realize he must be a Jeep/Off Road Expert. His past articles include "Where to buy Lindt Lindor chocolate truffles?" and "How to save $65/mo. on grocery bill?" Maybe Botond should have bought a used Prius instead of a $60k+ Off Road Vehicle if he can't afford to eat.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
These days anyone with a keyboard is an “expert.”

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I managed to be purchasing a Rubicon 4xe at MSRP in California. Most of the things listed in the article do not affect me. However, the 4xe is going to become my daily driver, and it is the steering feel of a live axle that is making me second guess my purchasing decision (coming from a daily driver of a Subaru Outback). What I am also afraid of is getting a lemon and having to pay for a rental. But what can you do about that? Times are still rough right now.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to be purchasing a Rubicon 4xe at MSRP in California. Most of the things listed in the article do not affect me. However, the 4xe is going to become my daily driver, and it is the steering feel of a live axle that is making me second guess my purchasing decision (coming from a daily driver of a Subaru Outback). What I am also afraid of is getting a lemon and having to pay for a rental. But what can you do about that? Times are still rough right now.
I love the feel of the Jeep. I'm driving a vehicle, not an over-engineered pillow.

One gets used to any vehicle they own, and this will be no different for you. I have had several SUVs, two 70s Scouts, a 89 Ramcharger, a 98 Dakota, and a 91 YJ.

I think the JLU drives like a damn car.

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
I've seen people complaining that their JL doesn't drive "like the BMW 5 series" they traded in for it. I always shake my head..... thinking did you spend any time in a Wrangler?

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer

I agree with most things in this article. All those regulars on these JL forums are not the intended audience of this article. This article was meant for the general public who have no clue what the Wrangler is and how different it is from your normal FWD unibody crossover. So if your typical uninformed car buyer sees the removable roof and doors and they like the shape of the car, they just take it for a ride around the dealership block, and they are just impressed with the idea of it and how cool they would look in it. The dealer happens to push the 4xe because that is what Jeep wants the salespeople to do. This is the future so they want people to buy this. So they tell Joe/Jane Shmoe about the improved mileage and the hybrid power plant and the instant torque and they get them to feel it. everyone is happy and they drop $60K OTD on a 4Xe and do not even know if they qualify for the full $7500 tax credit or not. But after a few weeks of daily commute and the loud ride (vs. the aforementioned FWD crossover) and the wondering steering wheel and how sloppy it is on center and they start to have second thoughts. Add to that they get hit with the inconsistent FCA quality with little shit going bad, they then start to really have buyers remorse. Very few car buyers are financially savvy. Most are impulse buyers and they buy more than what they can afford. They stretch their budgets and end up with ungodly payments. So if things go wrong with this new hybrid technology and parts are on backorder, the Jeep will sit at the dealership for weeks and weeks. What would the average buyer do then if they don't have alternate means of transportation? Paying $40/day for a rental can add up quickly and that is on top of the car payment you have for the car sitting at the dealership! Those are real concerns not to be dismissed by looking at the author's history of what articles they wrote or whether they are Jeep people or not. As I said, he is talking to non Jeep people.
Sponsored