Sponsored

4xe Check Engine Light Issue (CEL)

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Well. Mine came on at 891 miles, and I’m out on an isolated island with no real access to anything.

I suspect it happened because I plugged in last night outside in the rain and maybe a little water got into the charge port. Or there was a brownout, which happens all the time out here. Anyway, when I unplugged the light in the charge port was red (though it was charging fine when I left it).

ETA I’ve had mine for 15 days at this point and all the RRTs were applied before I picked it up, so that’s not the fix. And yes I’ve checked the fuses. And the gas cap (even though it has been a week since I got fuel).
Now that I'm back in civilization, I stopped in at AutoZone to get the codes read since the next available appointment at the dealer is two weeks out. It's the gas cap codes (P04EC/P04EE; https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198356-9999.pdf). I reseated and cleaned the gas cap; we'll see if the light goes out. I'm just glad it's not something major!

Apparently all the RRTs were NOT done when I picked up the vehicle, either -- 122 and 127 are still listed as outstanding. So I'll probably keep the appointment anyway.
Sponsored

Skades 89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I took delivery on 9/20. 375 miles later CEL is on. I have an appointment on Wednesday. 🤞

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ours is part of the "high voltage cable" recall but have not had any issues yet fingers crossed.
Hi REDSEAL199,
We suggest getting the CSN performed. If you would like assistance while at the dealer, we are happy to help via private messages.

Rob
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took delivery on 9/20. 375 miles later CEL is on. I have an appointment on Wednesday. 🤞
Hi Skades 89,
If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know via PM. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.

Rob
Jeep Cares

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
It took a month but my battery coolant pump finally came in and seems to have fixed my CEL issue. Glad to be back in my 4xe. Good luck to everyone.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello.

Not a complaint, just sharing with the group. My check engine light came on yesterday. After reading through this thread and looking at some videos on YouTube, I checked the gas cap, which was loose and not set properly. I put it on properly but no change. (On a side note, I found it hard to fill the tank previously, it kept clicking and shutting off, as if the tank was full, which it wasn't. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but I thought I'd mention it.) I filled the Jeep with gas to the brim, closed the cap properly, now that i know that there is a fat end and a thin end and all is good. No more engine light.

FYI - in case it helps somebody.

PS - I am still taking it to the dealer to doublecheck the codes as I wanted to do the recall and the software updates anyway.

These things happen, all good! :)

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Hello.

Not a complaint, just sharing with the group. My check engine light came on yesterday. After reading through this thread and looking at some videos on YouTube, I checked the gas cap, which was loose and not set properly. I put it on properly but no change. (On a side note, I found it hard to fill the tank previously, it kept clicking and shutting off, as if the tank was full, which it wasn't. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but I thought I'd mention it.) I filled the Jeep with gas to the brim, closed the cap properly, now that i know that there is a fat end and a thin end and all is good. No more engine light.

PS - I am still taking it to the dealer to doublecheck the codes as I wanted to do the recall and the software updates anyway.

Yep happened to me yesterday too. CEL when I started the Jeep to come home after work. I stopped at the dealer on my way home. Gas cap not seated. They cleared the code and got me in and out in 10 minutes. Now I know to line up fat and skinny ends.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
No issues yet, but I got mine 5 days before you and have 650 miles (half was gas only, on the ride home from dealer). I was hoping all gremlins were taken care of at the factory with the latest sw updates. :(

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
No issues yet, but I got mine 5 days before you and have 650 miles (half was gas only, on the ride home from dealer). I was hoping all gremlins were taken care of at the factory with the latest sw updates. :(
FWIW, I used my time at the dealer to chat with the tec running the code. He mentioned that since mine was a September build, it would be a “second generation ” should not have issues. He said first gen were total messes and that everything seems to be covered for the second gen. He didn’t breakdown what dates are the cutoff for first and second gen. I’ve never heard of generations for 4xe so take it with a grain of salt. I still asked for any recalls or RRTs for mine and he said there’s nothing. So atleast fixes are being applied to the line.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
When I go in it seems like the 4xe is a new magical thing they haven't seen. Then I ask about all the problems and they say they haven't seen any come in, lol.

My build date is April 1st but mine hasn't been a mess. However, I did need to have the HV cable oring replaced. Also had one highway shutdown.

Much of the early stuff seemed to be related to cables and plumbing just not being installed correctly.

I suspect "2nd gen" has improved manufacturing process/QC on those items along with all the software updates.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hello.

Here is my update:

After filling up the tank and properly closing the gas cap the light came on one more timre during one drive, but that's it.

I took the Jeep into the dealer for the CEL and their response was to perform the RRT 21-137 14600596 Cap, fuel filler tank filler - Replace Tether, Fuel filler cap. If I don't respond back to this thread then all is good with the CEL.

They also performed the Recall Y46 High Voltage Cable Connector Seal. They checked the P1 and P2 connectors and replaced both seals.

Finally they did the software updates:
RRT 21-122
RRT 21-123
RRT 21-124
RRT 21-126
RRT 21-127

I have only noticed two changes so far; the Max Reg button now stays on, even if I turn off the Jeep and turn it back on again (YAY) and the shifting, especially downshifting is much smoother.

Lowcountry4XE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
Picked up my Sting Gray Sahara at the end of August and am loving it so far. First Wrangler for me. Only problem so far is a Check Engine Light (CEL) that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I had reseated all the fuses after I bought so I checked the gas cap and it was completely off, just bouncing around behind the closed fuel door. Installed and tightened but no luck on clearing the CEL after a few drive cycles. I had the typical OBDII codes for a gas cap, small and large evap leak. After doing some research I tried all the fixes I could find and learned a few things about the 4XE gas cap that I wanted to share,

1. After some troubleshooting I concluded that the gas cap was not seating tightly enough (I tried all the tricks like a little grease on the o-ring). I tried a "generic" jeep gas cap in the 4XE and it also did not work. Still had the evap codes in even though the new cap was installed tightly. The 4XE gas cap is unique in that it is not vented. Most vehicle gas caps have a spring loaded pressure relief built into cap that maintains the fuel tank pressure at the optimum level (also protects against a vacuum implosion). The 4XE cap does not have the pressure relief feature. It is a solid piece of plastic. Look at the internal end of the 4XE cap and compare to another car to see the difference (and to find another 4XE easter egg). The 4XE fuel system runs at a higher pressure than a normal auto fuel system and the relief feature is built into the fuel system not in the cap.

2. The 4XE cap can also only be inserted in only one position. Most modern gas caps have tabs at the end of the threads that fit into slots in the fuel filler neck. So to get a good seal you have to insert the cap with the tabs lined up with the slots in fuel filler neck before you tighten the cap. The tabs tend to be the same size allowing you to insert at each half turn while you are rotating the cap. The 4XE cap has a very large tab and a very small tab so that you can only install at one point. I'm not really sure why the 4XE cap is different in this regard.

3. Gas caps have a built in over-tightening feature (the clicks) that prevent you from tightening the cap so much that it becomes difficult for you or someone else to open. The clicking sound should be generated when the gas cap threads are at the right torque in the fuel filler neck but it is a fairly crude system. The torque value is set by bending some plastic tabs on two rotating plastic disks that allows the outer cap to rotate separately from the inner cap when the right torque is reached. The clicks are the sound of the plastic tabs slipping and snapping back. I could feel that my cap wasn't getting very tight, it would start clicking almost as soon as I felt any torque when I was tightening. The new generic cap felt much tighter.

4. The last point on the cap is the long tether that is originally installed on the gas cap. The long tether can get caught in the fuel filler neck when you are threading on the gas cap causing a poor seal and CEL. There is a recall for the gas cap that replaces it with a new cap with a shorter tether.

With that info in mind, I made an 7:30 am appointment at my local Jeep dealer and brought in for a new cap. I told them exactly what I thought the problem was, demonstrated the loose cap, and left expecting to get it serviced that day. One benefit of the uconnect vehicle tracking is that I could tell where my Jeep was at the dealer and at 2:00 pm it was still sitting outside. I called and my service rep said they could not get to it that day (why have appointments if they can't even get the vehicle in for diagnosis). I am very impatient with service centers so I said I would come get and just order a new 4XE cap myself. At this point I still had the CEL in.

I picked up my 4XE and brought home and decided to see if I could fix the cap somehow to really confirm that the cap was the problem. I disassembled and tried a few things but no luck. So as a temporary fix I inserted just the inner cap (the threaded portion of the gas cap) and tightened it down. Ran the jeep and checked the codes and was able to clear them this time! Ran the jeep for a couple of days and no problems. Definitely is a bad cap. Ordered a new cap from the dealer ($38 and backordered of course) and am running now with just the inner cap. Luckily I don't put gas in it often!! I will attempt to get the dealer to pick up the cost of the cap but I'm sure it will be too much of a hassle at this point.

Sorry for the long post, but given all the gas cap problems I've seen posted here I figured the information I found might be useful for others.

berryb

First Name
Berry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Hi all. First time poster and it’s not to share my mods :( - which I haven’t gotten to b/c it’s day three of ownership.

Here’s my situation: Picked up my 4xe Rubi on 12/2. Battery was less than 1%. Sales guy was embarrassed and apologized. Drove it a total of 50 miles in the last few days - couple times to work and wife took it shopping - you know, regular stuff.

Today, Dec 5, outdoor temp about 45F, charge ~40%. I left the house in hybrid mode and it was running electric going 20-40mph on local neighborhood roads… then the ICE came on (not usual in my short time owning), so I went to put it in Electric mode and got: “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating”. I then turned off the climate system and it went back to the electric drive. We proceeded to a birthday party 5 miles away.

On the way back, the CEL came on and it went to back to the ICE with the same error message. I did what I did previously and turned off the climate control and it switched to electric drive.

Got home and and let it sit. Engine light remained on.

Popped the hood and immediately went to the fuse box (had read all this stuff on the forums before purchasing). Fuses appeared to be seated correctly, except one questionable large silver one. But CEL remained on.

I plugged it in to charge thinking that might help. It wouldn’t charge! aid “Hood open, unable to charge” - Got a flashing light sequence at the plug door on the Jeep: red, green, blue, off - repeat. The hood was 100% closed.

I read on another thread to try leaving it plugged in and starting the car. This worked! and it started charging.

Alas, the CEL is still on.

Now I’m on a plane b/c I have to travel for work.

I ordered a code reader and will try to diagnose based on all the threads I’ve read on my 6 hour flight. Then will take it to the dealer.

Side note: not sure it’s related but I find my skytop controls a bit finicky, that I have to push them multiple times.

If anyone has ideas, I’d love to hear’em.

b

granitejl

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
I recently purchased a new JLU 4XE within day the gas cap icon come on the display, took the cap off and screwed it back in, next morning same issue, redid the cap two days later the CEL is on. Ordered new gas cap parts dept ordered wrong one. I tried to explain the issue but they dont listen. They think they are above the owner when they continue to show theyre ignorance. Best excuse was the service guy said Im asking for a lot coming in at the end of his shift. Mean while its 6:30pm and hes there till 8:30pm. The cap parts tried to give me goes on a specific way. Does not fit my fill neck, does anyone know a part# for the other one.

berryb

First Name
Berry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
I recently purchased a new JLU 4XE within day the gas cap icon come on the display, took the cap off and screwed it back in, next morning same issue, redid the cap two days later the CEL is on. Ordered new gas cap parts dept ordered wrong one. I tried to explain the issue but they dont listen. They think they are above the owner when they continue to show theyre ignorance. Best excuse was the service guy said Im asking for a lot coming in at the end of his shift. Mean while its 6:30pm and hes there till 8:30pm. The cap parts tried to give me goes on a specific way. Does not fit my fill neck, does anyone know a part# for the other one.
Yikes, maybe time to go to another dealer. Did they give you an error code for the CEL?
Sponsored