Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights

RRAGES

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
OK - my 2 cents worth. I frequently have to reverse around a circular driveway in all weather conditions to facilitate various parking situations. A few years ago I backed my pickup lightly into a small tree in the pouring rain just hard enough to put a small dent in the top of the tailgate. When I purchased my first JL it did not have the LED lights and the view to the rear was improved and all was well for 3 years. I purchased my 2nd JL a couple weeks ago. It does have the expensive LED lights and the rear view is ridiculous. So I'm going to install these lights. A couple points:

I'm going to wire them into the aux switches only. Ground to the frame and run one wire to aux 4. I don't need super bright lights every time I put it in reverse. Just now and then when I can't see well.

Also, and here is where many may disagree, but this viewpoint should be stated. I'm not going to remove my bumper. I don't have the strength to do it and a shop to do the work (that I trust) is hundreds of miles away. If I can't get the reflectors out in the usual way I won't hesitate to cut them in half with a dremel tool and discard them. I also won't hesitate to use high strength double face tape. 3M make exterior grade tape that will certainly hold these in place along with the clip. I might feel differently if I had the steel bumper and no clip. Even if the tape failed, the light would not be lost since it's wires would support it. I don't expect that though.

I've found that alot of the mounting systems on the Wrangler are done and overdone. Have you ever disassembled the front grill? Jeez. Screws and clips and more clips and layers of still more clips.

If I'm able to remove and re-install the screws I will, but I'm ready to go either way. The tape will hold these little lights in place. 100% sure.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've found that alot of the mounting systems on the Wrangler are done and overdone.

Have you ever disassembled the front grill? Jeez. Screws and clips and more clips and layers of still more clips.
I was just thinking about that subject this morning.

We've owned Hondas for almost 20 years now. I'm pretty familiar with how various components are engineered and installed on or fastened to the vehicles. In my experience, everything that is or could be considered user-serviceable is fairly easy to work on, and usually accessible without excessive effort. More importantly, though, is the consistency of design evident throughout the brand.

Not so with the Wrangler. As much as I like my JLU, to date I've observed a shitshow of varying fasteners of non-intuitive and/or frustrating design. I expected this, if I'm honest, but the constant labor to deal with expendable clips, goofy wiring terminals, etc. (when they shouldn't be so) is a recurring annoyance.

Said differently: thanks to the Hondas, I know what I'm missing.

Maybe there's a section of Heaven where we can force the engineers to work on crap designs of their own invention.

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Starting a new thread to avoid confusion from the original thread here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fiber-optic-hardtop-panels.54314/

Members here asked us to provide some concepts for an integrated LED reverse light to replace the rear bumper reflectors.
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.12.42 AM.png

Following feedback from JL owners on the forum our concept is:
  • Direct replacement lamp using existing hardware.
  • Taps into existing reverse light power source without error code.
  • Clean design with OE fitment and appearance.
  • 4x 5W LEDs, 20W Power each, total 1,000Lm output (theoretical)
  • Clear PMMA Lens, Cast Aluminum Housing with Powdercoat Finish.
  • Optic-Focused wide beam pattern for extended field of view.
Too bad my 2021 Willy doesn’t have the reflectors on the stock back bumper to use these. Do you have any other low profile solutions for rear floods or something that can mount to a stock bumper? Thanks!

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I was just thinking about that subject this morning.

We've owned Hondas for almost 20 years now. I'm pretty familiar with how various components are engineered and installed on or fastened to the vehicles. In my experience, everything that is or could be considered user-serviceable is fairly easy to work on, and usually accessible without excessive effort. More importantly, though, is the consistency of design evident throughout the brand.

Not so with the Wrangler. As much as I like my JLU, to date I've observed a shitshow of varying fasteners of non-intuitive and/or frustrating design. I expected this, if I'm honest, but the constant labor to deal with expendable clips, goofy wiring terminals, etc. (when they shouldn't be so) is a recurring annoyance.

Said differently: thanks to the Hondas, I know what I'm missing.

Maybe there's a section of Heaven where we can force the engineers to work on crap designs of their own invention.
But how often are you digging into Hondas to add off road lights, bumpers, bumper lights, winches and auxiliary batteries?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
But how often are you digging into Hondas to add off road lights, bumpers, bumper lights, winches and auxiliary batteries?
That only reinforces my point about the comparatuve quality and consistency of parts design between vehicle brands.

Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
That only reinforces my point about the comparatuve quality and consistency of parts design between vehicle brands.
So Jeep parts don't work on Hondas. Got it. You quite possibly saved me a small fortune with my future Jeep mods. Thanks!

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
OK - my 2 cents worth. I frequently have to reverse around a circular driveway in all weather conditions to facilitate various parking situations. A few years ago I backed my pickup lightly into a small tree in the pouring rain just hard enough to put a small dent in the top of the tailgate. When I purchased my first JL it did not have the LED lights and the view to the rear was improved and all was well for 3 years. I purchased my 2nd JL a couple weeks ago. It does have the expensive LED lights and the rear view is ridiculous. So I'm going to install these lights. A couple points:

I'm going to wire them into the aux switches only. Ground to the frame and run one wire to aux 4. I don't need super bright lights every time I put it in reverse. Just now and then when I can't see well.

Also, and here is where many may disagree, but this viewpoint should be stated. I'm not going to remove my bumper. I don't have the strength to do it and a shop to do the work (that I trust) is hundreds of miles away. If I can't get the reflectors out in the usual way I won't hesitate to cut them in half with a dremel tool and discard them. I also won't hesitate to use high strength double face tape. 3M make exterior grade tape that will certainly hold these in place along with the clip. I might feel differently if I had the steel bumper and no clip. Even if the tape failed, the light would not be lost since it's wires would support it. I don't expect that though.

I've found that alot of the mounting systems on the Wrangler are done and overdone. Have you ever disassembled the front grill? Jeez. Screws and clips and more clips and layers of still more clips.

If I'm able to remove and re-install the screws I will, but I'm ready to go either way. The tape will hold these little lights in place. 100% sure.
Yo Brother!! I installed these and per another members suggestion(rhinebeck) All I needed to do was drill out the top of the lens where the screw attaches....check the new ones for location of said screw. It literally took me 10 minutes to get them out and install the new ones. I have the metal OEM bumpers so If you've read the other posts there is usually a problem with the right one (passenger side) fitting. I just gave it a firm slap with the heel of my hand an it went in. Some have had to grind the top right corner which I did not have to do. I had also purchased their harness which was suppose to make them plug and play but guess what ...It didn't! The harness never snapped in place so I wired them into the left tail. All went smooth and fast. I was a little miffed about the harness but what can ya do. Anyway yeah don't bother with the screws just use a good 3m dbl sided tape that is what I did. I really didn't even need it because they are such a tight fit .

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No, not at all. In fact I have a Honda too.... been faithfully mowing my lawn with it for the past 18 years with absolutely NO wiring problems and still going strong!
18 years. That's respectable.
I still can't force myself to invest in one of their generators, but I am surely tempted.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I picked a set of these up during the original group buy but I have yet to install them...especially after I realized I had to file down the housing to get them to fit. I was planning on picking up a harness but now there are 2 users stating the harness does not work as expected. If the harness connectors are flat out wrong, I would have expected to see more noise being made. I am curious if all of the harnesses are using incorrect connectors or if something else may be amiss. Is there anyone here that is using the harness and the connector fit correctly?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0