AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Did you ever sort this out?
My understanding is that the Jeeps now have the new gear box from the factory (and all other recommended fixes).
Obvious question, but did you adjust the tire pressure? Tires are overinflated from the factory which often causes wandering etc.
Even though the wandering has not gone away 100%, it’s much better with tires at 34 lbs.
Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
Okay so my expedience is different. I have had two new steering boxes installed. Each one was better than the other. but still not great.

On my last trip to the dealership the Service Adviser agreed with me that the Jeep wonders and there is about two inches of play in the steering wheel. He also said there is nothing wrong. It is just the way it is.

With that I have moved on and traded my MY 2020 High Altitude diesel on another ride. Its too bad as I have had Jeeps for decades. Just couldn't live with this one.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
A Sad story ...

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Okay so my expedience is different. I have had two new steering boxes installed. Each one was better than the other. but still not great.

On my last trip to the dealership the Service Adviser agreed with me that the Jeep wonders and there is about two inches of play in the steering wheel. He also said there is nothing wrong. It is just the way it is.

With that I have moved on and traded my MY 2020 High Altitude diesel on another ride. Its too bad as I have had Jeeps for decades. Just couldn't live with this one.
What did you buy?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This might be the place to document my “Wrangler steering journey.”

My 2018 Sahara came from the factory with adequate steering feel: it wasn’t the greatest but it wasn’t as horrible as a bunch of other JLs I test drove before buying.
  1. A couple months into it, I swapped the OE 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler ATs (32x10 inches) with a set of 275/70R18 KO2s (33x10.7 inches). The Jeep drove, rode and handled great!
  2. A year after purchasing the Jeep, my dealer offered the Mopar lift, installed, for $2,000. I took the bait and had them install the lift. I love the smoother ride and the improved articulation, but right away I noticed the steering went to shit: lots of wander and a pull to the right. Also, the front wheels were 2 inches off-center towards the driver side
  3. Had a YETI adjustable track bar installed and an alignment done. This remedied the off-center issue, but the wandering and pull persisted
  4. I replaced the 33-inch KO2s with a set of 35x12.5 inch General Grabber ATXs. The larger, heavier tires made the front pull side-to-side whenever I applied the brakes on uneven surfaces
  5. I replaced the OE steering stabilizer with a FOX 2.0. This greatly stiffened steering feel and significantly reduced the side-to-side pull, both of which were welcome. But the wandering and pull to the right persisted
  6. I had an X-pattern rotation done to eliminate the tires as possible cause; the wandering and pull to the right persist
  7. I attempted to have the dealer that installed the Mopar lift do the steering box TSB. After jumping through a lot of hoops, they still turned me down under the pretext that “the Jeep has an aftermarket track bar.”
  8. I got another dealer, 30 miles away, to agree to do the TSB next week. I will report back if it helped

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Has anyone had the TSB done on a 2021 model? Just picked up my JLUR and the steering is horrible, huge dead spot in center of wheel.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Has anyone had the TSB done on a 2021 model? Just picked up my JLUR and the steering is horrible, huge dead spot in center of wheel.
As far as I understand, all 2021 jeeps already have the steel steering box, so the TSB cannot be performed.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl

Might be on the same boat as you soon. Wrangler going in for steering issue 3rd time in 1 year.

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
As far as I understand, all 2021 jeeps already have the steel steering box, so the TSB cannot be performed.
Yes, I confirmed it does have the steel box. But I know people on here have received the TSB and still have problems which makes me think there’s likely QC issues with the boxes themselves. Seems like it’s very hit or miss. I’d assume 21s have the software but potentially I just got a bad box?

Sponsored

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
My JLURD that was born in April ‘21, had horrible steering. I engaged Jeep Care prior to any appointments, so they were tracking any progress. After a total of 3 dealership appointments at 2 dealers. 2 service managers and multiple technicians said there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. I asked Jeep Care if they would approve a steering box replacement, which was approved with the stipulation that they were washing their hands of me if my issues were not corrected and satisfactory to me. Well, it worked and I’m happy with my steering now. It drives great! Also, feels good to know that the service personnel were wrong and I was right all along. I did not gloat or anything. Just happy to enjoy the vehicle finally.

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
My JLURD that was born in April ‘21, had horrible steering. I engaged Jeep Care prior to any appointments, so they were tracking any progress. After a total of 3 dealership appointments at 2 dealers. 2 service managers and multiple technicians said there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. I asked Jeep Care if they would approve a steering box replacement, which was approved with the stipulation that they were washing their hands of me if my issues were not corrected and satisfactory to me. Well, it worked and I’m happy with my steering now. It drives great! Also, feels good to know that the service personnel were wrong and I was right all along. I did not gloat or anything. Just happy to enjoy the vehicle finally.
Not looking forward to the dealer drama I’m about to deal with… glad to hear yours is driving right now.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yes, I confirmed it does have the steel box. But I know people on here have received the TSB and still have problems which makes me think there’s likely QC issues with the boxes themselves. Seems like it’s very hit or miss. I’d assume 21s have the software but potentially I just got a bad box?
I have a 2021 JLUR, born January 2021. Terrible steering when purchased in May wandering anywhere over 35mph. Had the steering box replaced. Same part number, but the new one was an -AB part while the original was an -AA, both steel boxes. Some improvement, definitely stiffer steering, but it still wanders, and my interstate commute has me with a death grip when rolling with multiple lanes of traffic at speed.

Took it back to the dealer, and they said it operates as intended. This is my fifth Wrangler. It does NOT handle properly if judging from my previous Jeeps. Added the Mopar LCAs with little noticeable improvement. Still trying to find a solution.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
This might be the place to document my “Wrangler steering journey.”

My 2018 Sahara came from the factory with adequate steering feel: it wasn’t the greatest but it wasn’t as horrible as a bunch of other JLs I test drove before buying.
  1. A couple months into it, I swapped the OE 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler ATs (32x10 inches) with a set of 275/70R18 KO2s (33x10.7 inches). The Jeep drove, rode and handled great!
  2. A year after purchasing the Jeep, my dealer offered the Mopar lift, installed, for $2,000. I took the bait and had them install the lift. I love the smoother ride and the improved articulation, but right away I noticed the steering went to shit: lots of wander and a pull to the right. Also, the front wheels were 2 inches off-center towards the driver side
  3. Had a YETI adjustable track bar installed and an alignment done. This remedied the off-center issue, but the wandering and pull persisted
  4. I replaced the 33-inch KO2s with a set of 35x12.5 inch General Grabber ATXs. The larger, heavier tires made the front pull side-to-side whenever I applied the brakes on uneven surfaces
  5. I replaced the OE steering stabilizer with a FOX 2.0. This greatly stiffened steering feel and significantly reduced the side-to-side pull, both of which were welcome. But the wandering and pull to the right persisted
  6. I had an X-pattern rotation done to eliminate the tires as possible cause; the wandering and pull to the right persist
  7. I attempted to have the dealer that installed the Mopar lift do the steering box TSB. After jumping through a lot of hoops, they still turned me down under the pretext that “the Jeep has an aftermarket track bar.”
  8. I got another dealer, 30 miles away, to agree to do the TSB next week. I will report back if it helped
Keep us posted on results.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted on results.
Just got my Jeep back this evening. Wow! What difference!

They replaced the steering box and did a reflash.

The steering has a nice weight now.

I saw the invoice to FCA: it was $786 for parts and labor.
Sponsored