Need opinions/advice.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Typically I don't ask for advice like this. But this is a hard one considering the current environment we're in with Covid-19 and everything else that's going on. It's really making me consider the you only live once theme and life is short. Especially being I have heart problems and I'm high risk.

Originally I planned on ordering a 2 door 2022 Willys or Rubicon. But lately I've been seriously considering possibly getting a 392. Especially since my daughter and I are getting ready to start a youtube channel. We both think it would help the channel.

The problem is I'm not rich. I did take $12k 2 years ago and invested in the stock market. It was a long grinde and traded the hard way. In and out of trades and when I broke $25k I started day trading. Also selling puts. Right now I have $70k exactly. Truth be told the stock market is burning me out big time. Especially lately. I'm lucky I made what I did.

I have excellent credit and could put like $20k down and finance the rest and continue to sell puts in the Market to pay the payments. But that's never a guarantee and like I said the stock market is burning me out. Or I can pay for 90% of it and finance a small amount. Might even be able to pay 100% buy the time it comes in.

As far as the YouTube channel goes I'm not under the delusion that it will take off become popular and make us a lot of money. I pray to God it does but It's more something my daughter really wants to get into with me and have fun. At the same time we both plan on working hard for the channel and making it entertaining. We both really like the 392 and do think it can help. I look at it like sort of a business investment. I really think we are going to have good content that you guys will like. I think our content and hard work will speak for itself but I have seen people make it on YouTube and the vehicle was definitely a catalyst even if it was just for people to find the channel. It definitely was.

Also as a side note I'm a huge muscle car fan and I really miss my 392 Challenger Scat pack. Muscle cars we're never a practical vehicle living in the north in the winter and I feel like the 392 Jeep can be the best of both worlds. Off Roading and Muscle car.

I don't know. This is definitely not an easy decision. And in normal circumstances the responsible me wouldn't do it. Its definitely a big investment. But it's definitely crazy times we're living in and life is short. That's literally the reality more then ever! And if anything even if the channel doesn't make it we'll have a hell of a good time in the 392 Jeep together while we can!

What to do? 🤔
Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
A lot depends on how you're going to use it. Daily driver,, off road, weekend warrior, custom build. I recently attended a large Jeep show / event. In a sea of lifts, huge tires, outlandish off road builds, the one stock 392 that was there brought the most attention! I'd say if you can swing it financially, go for it!

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Personally I think you are just daydreaming about the future and money you may, or may not have to spend just to make yourself feel better at this time. When someone says they want a Jeep I can understand that, but when someone says they want a $80,000 Jeep I start to question their thinking. Your pretty much all over the place with your thoughts on this, so giving you any advise would probably be what you don't want to hear. I'm a old guy with money in the bank because I made good decisions when I was younger, glad I did, sounds like you made some good decisions years ago, why stop now. Covid-19 will hopefully past in the future, today's modern medicine can hopefully take care of your heart condition, and if your daughter just wants a YouTube channel, well they all do.

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
I think it's best to live like today is your last day on earth, within a budget that supports that you'll live forever. Not easy to do, but it is possible. I would be very hesitant to plan on making payments from profits on the market activity, with such narrow margins. It would be a different thing all together if you have half a million or more that you were trading and could survive some huge swings while still drawing at strategic times to keep up with the payments.
Also, there are some people making decent money on youtube or similar, but for everyone making money, there are probably 1000 trying to make money and failing. In your shoes, I would pay something like 60K from that account on the new Jeep, and keep that small stake in there to work on building it back up. OR, delay purchase until you can get that market account up near 100K first.
Good luck with the decision.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Typically I don't ask for advice like this. But this is a hard one considering the current environment we're in with Covid-19 and everything else that's going on. It's really making me consider the you only live once theme and life is short. Especially being I have heart problems and I'm high risk.

Originally I planned on ordering a 2 door 2022 Willys or Rubicon. But lately I've been seriously considering possibly getting a 392. Especially since my daughter and I are getting ready to start a youtube channel. We both think it would help the channel.

The problem is I'm not rich. I did take $12k 2 years ago and invested in the stock market. It was a long grinde and traded the hard way. In and out of trades and when I broke $25k I started day trading. Also selling puts. Right now I have $70k exactly. Truth be told the stock market is burning me out big time. Especially lately. I'm lucky I made what I did.

I have excellent credit and could put like $20k down and finance the rest and continue to sell puts in the Market to pay the payments. But that's never a guarantee and like I said the stock market is burning me out. Or I can pay for 90% of it and finance a small amount. Might even be able to pay 100% buy the time it comes in.

As far as the YouTube channel goes I'm not under the delusion that it will take off become popular and make us a lot of money. I pray to God it does but It's more something my daughter really wants to get into with me and have fun. At the same time we both plan on working hard for the channel and making it entertaining. We both really like the 392 and do think it can help. I look at it like sort of a business investment. I really think we are going to have good content that you guys will like. I think our content and hard work will speak for itself but I have seen people make it on YouTube and the vehicle was definitely a catalyst even if it was just for people to find the channel. It definitely was.

Also as a side note I'm a huge muscle car fan and I really miss my 392 Challenger Scat pack. Muscle cars we're never a practical vehicle living in the north in the winter and I feel like the 392 Jeep can be the best of both worlds. Off Roading and Muscle car.

I don't know. This is definitely not an easy decision. And in normal circumstances the responsible me wouldn't do it. Its definitely a big investment. But it's definitely crazy times we're living in and life is short. That's literally the reality more then ever! And if anything even if the channel doesn't make it we'll have a hell of a good time in the 392 Jeep together while we can!

What to do? 🤔
What I read is that you answered your own question. You repeatedly said, in one way or the other, you were burned out with the market. That is your answer. The 392 forces you, unless you take the entire 70K nest egg, to remain in the market just to make payments. That is a lot of stress with a high probability of at least some failures (which adds even more stress). As Big Lebowski said, don't plan on making money on a YouTube channel. The odds are dramatically against you; I would bet the cited 1,000 : 1 is actually overselling your chance of success... 10,000 : 1 is probably more like it. If you want to do the YouTube channel to have a fun father / daughter experience with the potential to make a bit of money, do it. But I sure wouldn't recommend mortgaging your future and creating a bunch of added stress in the process. That seems just about certain to work in almost exactly the opposite direction than a "fun father / daughter experience."

Were I you, I would take 50k of the 70k and invest it in a good med to high growth mutual fund. That way it is still working for you (with a little risk) but you don't have to stress about it. Take the 20k remaining and put it down on a 4xe (not as much excitement there as the 392...but still something unique and interesting) and then focus on good / valuable / relaxing time with your daughter building a YouTube channel. If the channel takes off great...if it doesn't you still win because you have built a deeper relationship with your daughter.

my 2 cents...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If the sticker price is more than your annual income, don’t do it.

as far as YouTube goes, pug the channel here every so often, you’ll get some views.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jason,

Back in October 2019 I purchased a new Sport S for $30K. It's a 2-door, non-eTorque, 3.6L auto. However, I lifted it and put on 35's with a sexy set of wheels. I take it just about everywhere in my home state of Colorado.

I don't care to bounce off the tallest boulder, cliff-clmb, or rock-crawl, just see my state like most people can't. Even with the open diffs, I've been to mountain peaks and passes where Rubiicons typically only venture. It is also the best daily driver I've ever owned.

Save your hard earned cash. Get anything you want but any Jeep at any trim will get you and your daughter likely anywhere you want to go. Being new, I suspect you're not going to want to scrape it all up on some extreme rock field to begin with.

Start small, learn and improve your skill, then incrementally modify or trade up as the youTube revenue starts steaming in.

Being a COVID survivor, (vent, trachea, ICU, the physical rehabilitation) the whole nine yards, I look at things now a little differently. For me life is even more precious for the little things. All of it, not just Jeeping. Don't blow your savings on something that you may not need. Don't sweat the finances or get grey hair in doing so. Any Jeep will get you into the game, not just a bad-ass 392. You can mod these things any way you want.

You asked for advice, be practical.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Need opinions/advice. InShot_20200915_223133135

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I think it's best to live like today is your last day on earth, within a budget that supports that you'll live forever. Not easy to do, but it is possible. I would be very hesitant to plan on making payments from profits on the market activity, with such narrow margins. It would be a different thing all together if you have half a million or more that you were trading and could survive some huge swings while still drawing at strategic times to keep up with the payments.
Also, there are some people making decent money on youtube or similar, but for everyone making money, there are probably 1000 trying to make money and failing. In your shoes, I would pay something like 60K from that account on the new Jeep, and keep that small stake in there to work on building it back up. OR, delay purchase until you can get that market account up near 100K first.
Good luck with the decision.
Believe me I totally agree with you. It's definitely not an easy decision. The easy decision would actually be not spending any money at all. And I understand YouTube is a hard thing to do and actually make it.

Unfortunately I've learned that making the hard smart decisions doesn't mean they're the right ones. I've walked such a tight narrow path trying to be the perfect person and trying to make everyone around me happy that I ended up being unhappy and totally stressed out. I've been through so much crap you couldn't even imagine without getting into personal details.

I feel like if i don't do this I'll always wonder what if I did? Would it have helped the channel? Maybe enough that we would be that 1 out of a 1,000 that makes it? I guess I would never know unless I try. Like any big business investment it's a gamble and you're pretty much betting on yourself. It's never an easy decision. People invest in businesses all the time and alot fail. But I won't know unless I try. I already have so many regrets in life that I let pass me buy because I thought it was the right decision for people around me.

I'm only thinking out loud by the way when I respond. You're definitely not wrong. Nobody really is. It's just a matter of perspective and opinion. And I appreciate it a lot.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
There is no way I would ever pay $80k on a wrangler body, a normal diesel truck maybe. The 392 would sound cool and that's about it. I had a VortecMax with long tubes and a BlackBear tune, I loved the sound and power but I hated the trips to the pump after a while.

Set out your full business plan for the channel, what audience are you trying to reach. What is going to keep their attention and subscriptions high. Is it a purely garage based show or are you planning excursions out somewhere. Is the 392 really value added to the plan. With the money you have you could drop an awesome down payment on a Willys or Rubicon and not be worrying about payments. If investing in the stock market burned you out, sitting on a gamble like the 392 is definitely going to burn you out (my opinion). Depending on your relationship with your kid and her ambitions, why not invest that stock money into a college fund or convertible life insurance policy she can take with her?

Full disclaimer, I hate youtubers and think they are not value added to society, but I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Only you know your situation. I do not have any money in the market, never have. It really isn't money until you take it out and spend it on something tangible. As you know it can also go away tomorrow with no warning. So many posts suggesting a $70-80k vehicle is something exotic these days. Almost everybody I know rolls around in a big diesel pick-up that ran them $70-90k. The 392 should retain decent resale so it isn't like you are going to "lose it all" if you decide to sell it, or the financials become too stressful. You only live once. I have leveraged myself more than once on unique expensive vehicles. The regret when you make a mistake doesn't last long. The experience on the other hand is almost always worth the cost, for me anyway. Money "in the bank" seems to comfort many. Rubber on the road and V8 noises are more my speed. It is the experiences that matter. Good Luck with your choice.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
No way if you not rich. The 392 is for folks who make 100k+ a year. Save your money my friend and enjoy a Willys or regular rubicon. Good luck with the channel but seriously don't blow your nest egg ....
If you think $100K a year is rich, l’chaim my friend. I wish you were right…

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If you think $100K a year is rich, l’chaim my friend. I wish you were right…
Depending on where you live (i.e. not California lol) $100k can get you pretty far if you're not house poor.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Full disclaimer, I hate youtubers and think they are not value added to society, but I wish you luck in your endeavors.
Eh, I think the diversification of entertainment is a good thing. Bringing the billions out of the industry and dispersing that amongst more normal people. Lots of good mechanic, gun, engineering, outdoors channels. Just have to stay away from the constantly promoted self fellating young dipshits.
Sponsored