Sponsored

3.0L diesel for short trips around town mostly?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
@tmakaro if your simply looking to save money with fuel economy with the diesel then like others have said it will not be worth it. However what no one in here mentioned is the drivability factor of the diesel. Before I bought my JKU I was also looking at Grand Cherokees and I test drove all (3) Engines. During that time I feel in love with how the diesel drove, so if your on the fence I would say go and test drive a GC in both the Pentastar and the 3L Diesel and see which motor you like better from a drivability standpoint. The JL wont be exactly like it, but it should give you a feel for the difference.
Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I am assuming OP has a small boat such as a fishing boat. The Wrangler even with diesel is rated at 3500lbs, same as the Pentastar. It has more to do with the limitations of the vehicle than the capabilities of the engine. Since you are already towing with your current JK it sounds like you want a little more torque. If that is the case and you are willing to spend more then just get the diesel.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Is it wise to purchase the diesel if 98% of my driving is 2km a day into town? I like the idea of something that can pull my boat better on the weekend but even 90% of that would be for a few blocks to the marina. It's only 2 or 3 times a year I go over a mountain pass pulling a boat and that sucks with my 3.8l auto right now.
Something you will find out is that modern diesels are quite a bit more expensive to maintain than their gasser counterparts. Oil changes by themselves are WAY more expensive. You also need to factor in DEF fluid and regens. People seem to be overly generous when reporting MPG figures, specially on forums regarding diesels. With regens, you need to factor in the entire average fuel economy as a regen can drop MPGs to the single digits while driving on the highway. If you are doing short trips, your engine temps will never get high enough to burn the soot in the DPF and will require many more regens. New high pressure fuel systems require many more fuel filter changes than you are used to and are quite expensive. In my neck of the woods, diesel is regularly $0.25-$0.50 more per gallon than regular gasoline.

Diesel is a great option for those than can utilize its benefits, but with today's EPA mandated emissions systems, for the general user they become more expensive to maintain and operate. Not to mention the anticipated up charge to just get into one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly why I don't want a diesel in my JK.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
True Digital but a well maintained diesel engine can practically last forever. Of course there are caveats as you said with initial cost and said maintenance costs. Luckily Diesel fuel in my area is relativity cheap (less than 87 Octane) in many places but offset by its cost...lol.

So to me is it worth getting a diesel, especially if the tow rating is still 3500lbs?!? YES! I love torque on the trail and good MPG has me sold. Take my money!!! :rock:

Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
:like:^ Same here, diesel in Midwest and South is always cheaper than 87, also when fuel prices go up, diesel does not jump $0.60 over nite like gasoline does. Can't beat the torque feeling either. People shouldn't fear diesel engine because of maintenance, it is more reliable than gasser.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
True Digital but a well maintained diesel engine can practically last forever. Of course there are caveats as you said with initial cost and said maintenance costs. Luckily Diesel fuel in my area is relativity cheap (less than 87 Octane) in many places but offset by its cost...lol.

So to me is it worth getting a diesel, especially if the tow rating is still 3500lbs?!? YES! I love torque on the trail and good MPG has me sold. Take my money!!! :rock:
I agree with the towing part, although all the engine choices end up with the same tow rating, the diesel will no doubt tow it more comfortably than the others. I still think most people will sh!t a brick when they see the first oil change cost. The longevity of a diesel engine is overblown these days. Gassers get to 300k pretty easily these days with proper maintenance. No way your diesels turbo or dpf/scr will last anywhere near that.

With that being said, I may still end up with one.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the towing part, although all the engine choices end up with the same tow rating, the diesel will no doubt tow it more comfortably than the others. I still think most people will sh!t a brick when they see the first oil change cost. The longevity of a diesel engine is overblown these days. Gassers get to 300k pretty easily these days with proper maintenance. No way your diesels turbo or dpf/scr will last anywhere near that.

With that being said, I may still end up with one.
Yea oil change costs are roughly $120-140 based on what the Grand Cherokee guys are paying. Part of that is due to a $60 oil filter and having to run full synthetic. For me its not that big of a deal as I run Synthetic in my JKU, and worst case I'll do the oil change my self.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yea oil change costs are roughly $120-140 based on what the Grand Cherokee guys are paying. Part of that is due to a $60 oil filter and having to run full synthetic. For me its not that big of a deal as I run Synthetic in my JKU, and worst case I'll do the oil change my self.
Plus it only needs to be done at 12,500 miles or 1 year, as opposed to every 3k/3 months.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Plus it only needs to be done at 12,500 miles or 1 year, as opposed to every 3k/3 months.
If thats the case then it really isnt more expensive. Jeep charges $45 for a standard oil change on the JKU, or if you buy (3) at a time they get down to $25, so 12K miles would be $100 on the low side to $180 on the high side.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If thats the case then it really isnt more expensive. Jeep charges $45 for a standard oil change on the JKU, or if you buy (3) at a time they get down to $25, so 12K miles would be $100 on the low side to $180 on the high side.
Absolutely true. Diesel doesn't break down oil viscosity like gasoline does.

I do my own oil changes for around $80.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
My Honda is done @ 5,000 and my Subaru is done @ 6,000. I dont think most manufacturers recommend oil changes @ 3 month/3k miles. Thats usually just the old change places.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My Honda is done @ 5,000 and my Subaru is done @ 6,000. I dont think most manufacturers recommend oil changes @ 3 month/3k miles. Thats usually just the old change places.
JKs require that. Every 3K .... I was shocked as I went from my E90 M3 which had a oil changes every 15K miles back to the old skool every 3K

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
JKs require that. Every 3K .... I was shocked as I went from my E90 M3 which had a oil changes every 15K miles back to the old skool every 3K
I think the owners manual or user guide had 4500k as recommended changes for the JL for grocery getting, but back down to 3k for off road use and hard highway miles.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
What’s every 3K/3mths? Certainly not the Pentastar, even in the current JK.

Life will be similar to the diesel, especially if you also use synthetic, which is still cheaper since it’s about 50% the volume for the Pentastar 5Qts vs the ED 10.5Qts.

Plus add DEF cost, fuel filter costs, etc..
Sponsored