Sponsored

JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"?

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Did a search on this, and saw no related posts

So i finally got around to experimenting with mounting my 5g Jerry Can's to the LOD bumper (see build thread for details). So the good news is that they fit perfectly, and the LOD mounting system worked great after i figured out the spacing. After testing for a bit, came back home and tried to use the non-CARB spout (i.e. flexible) to see if it would work with FCA fuel cap - it doesn't. I then tried using the CARB version of the spout (i.e. hard plastic - no flex), that didn't work either.

Jerry Can (CARB spout shown) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C43O95W/ref=twister_B01CFJAER2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty close representation of the NON-CARB spout - https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-Long-...arb+spout&qid=1633901004&s=automotive&sr=1-15

I then tried two funnels i had at home to see if either of them would work - they didn't either.

soooo......

Has anyone found a solution to this? On my wife's diesel BMW, they gave us an extra spout/funnel to use for emergencies that would push the CARB crap out of the way. I can't find it anywhere inside the Jeep however.

TIA for any information / suggestions
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
on Amazon you can buy the VW TDI fuel nozzle adapter, it works well and is in a sealable container. I keep one in the jeep as a backup.

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
Yes, the “emergency” funnel that came with the Jeep works perfectly for this. It inserts through the “ Discriminator” and allows your whatever to add fuel.

I have the 10.2 gal caddy on my AEV Bumper and tire carrier. I use the Super Siphon that came with it to transfer diesel from the caddy into the Jeep tank, via the siphon through the funnel from Jeep.

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD

Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
The funnel--at least on my JLURD--was found inside the cubby where the tire jack lives...

Hope this helps!
I had never opened that cubby as the ARB kind of obscures it. Just checked and it was in there and works!

THANKS!!! :)

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Yes, the “emergency” funnel that came with the Jeep works perfectly for this. It inserts through the “ Discriminator” and allows your whatever to add fuel.

I have the 10.2 gal caddy on my AEV Bumper and tire carrier. I use the Super Siphon that came with it to transfer diesel from the caddy into the Jeep tank, via the siphon through the funnel from Jeep.
That sounds like a cool setup and i have that same siphon in my JKUR so something like that might work to fill from the JC without dismounting. Will have to try that next.

Thanks!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
yes, thats it. I like it as it has gloves and a sealable container. if traveling will be better at not stinking up the Jeep if you have to use it. the free one that comes with the jeep is just as good, but not in a sealed container.

I am overly prepared, I always like having a backup etc. just in case. I doubt i would ever need one, but you never know.

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
yes, thats it. I like it as it has gloves and a sealable container. if traveling will be better at not stinking up the Jeep if you have to use it. the free one that comes with the jeep is just as good, but not in a sealed container.

I am overly prepared, I always like having a backup etc. just in case. I doubt i would ever need one, but you never know.
i may resemble that same approach, plus that will earn me points with the wife if we ever have to use it.

thanks again for all the info!

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I have been use scepter fuel can for over 10 years. Current NATO issue as well. Far better than any metal cans.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"? F84F69E9-AB16-41BE-A25F-00604014B4E2
Jeep Wrangler JL JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"? 9D253792-9C6F-487B-B686-80DF92A301A0
Jeep Wrangler JL JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"? D9DD411C-CAA8-434B-BC91-1F31850C3E22

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Metal spout caps for US military "jerrycans" are available on amazon. Long flex spout that will reach through the constriction.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
The funnel--at least on my JLURD--was found inside the cubby where the tire jack lives...

Hope this helps!
I can't find an exact match to what was included in my JLU, but it looks virtually identical to this, except the color is black

Jeep Wrangler JL JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"? s-l500

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
i may resemble that same approach, plus that will earn me points with the wife if we ever have to use it.

thanks again for all the info!
My wife makes fun of me, but I always prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I think it may be partly due to my job where I have to always think of every threat scenario.

While its a bit more work, I cant imagine ever going back to a 3.6 JL. dont get me wrong, I liked my gas JLURs, but I really, really like my new Diesel.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I use this to transfer fuel from my Wavian cans . . . it works with the discriminator too!
Jeep Wrangler JL JLURD - what is needed to fill with "Jerry Cans"? 61NrqoyvavL._AC_SL1500_