Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good Luck with the Falkens. Mine are being replaced with 39589 miles on them with TOYO Open Country AT3. I wish they would have worn Better. ....
Well 40K isn't too far from the specified 55K but it is shorter than they are rated. FWIW, they allegedly have a 55K warranty (limited of course) so who knows if they'd honor it. And of course I'm sure it would be a pro-rated amount if they do, but still better than nothing.
For me, any tire exceeding 36K is "acceptable" wear. That gets you 3 years at the typical 12K per year range. Although for me 36K is more like 6+ years so that does make me a little less picky about long term wear.
Sponsored

RNLROCK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE Sahara
Good Luck with the Falkens. Mine are being replaced with 39589 miles on them with TOYO Open Country AT3. I wish they would have worn Better. They were great on the Wife's Colorado. Initially they were great on the Jeep. I am a stickler on tire pressure and keeping things aligned and rotated. The Falkens are just worn out.
Let me know how they compare to the Falkens in terms of handling and smoothness.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I’m enjoying this read. I’m only at page 7 of the thread, so perhaps somebody has already linked this popular chart. If so, I’ll apologize and delete it when I can get back to my computer and finish the thread:

AT comparison chart

The advantage of these charts, is they provide aggregate data over thousands of users and millions of miles. There are several such charts, each with a different primary focus.

As for my personal experience, I give two thumbs up for the KO2s after over 150,000 miles in aggregate. They’re quiet, wear well, and provide very good traction in most environments. (They’re terrible in mud, of course, and equally terrible in hydroplane propensity if there is standing water.). (I had over 100,000 miles in aggregate on the old BFG ATs too.)

I’m on my third set of Duratracs, all studded for winter use. They wear much faster than KO2s, and two of the 12 tires I’ve bought have required a LOT of weight to balance (almost), but the traction on snow and wet ice is the best I’ve ever had, and they cut through standing water — so they’re my go to winter tire in the northwest, where we get extremely heavy snow and plenty of ice and standing water. Unfortunately, the Duratracs don’t wear like the KO2s.

We’ve also had four sets of Toyo MTs. Amazingly quiet for such an aggressive, big-lugged tire. They wear forever too. Good in mud and deep snow. Mediocre dry traction, like most hard-rubber tires with big lugs, and not prone to hydroplane. Absolutely terrible on ice. (We had a set on our diesel F-350 with a 1200 pound tool box in the bed. Several winters back I repeatedly tried tried to get up our driveway and couldn’t make it past half way. I even tried in reverse, thinking it might be an advantage to have the weight of the diesel over the rear-most tires pushing the truck up the hill. Nope. I immediately went to the tire store and swapped out the tires. When I got home I motored up the driveway easily, without even having to get a run at it. (Both the KO2s and the Duratracs performed brilliantly on that ice. The Toyos were like running on polished concrete with football cleats…)

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Tire, Noise, Ride, Dry, Wet, Snow, Trail, Look, Overall
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, 6, 9, 9, 8, 8, 10, 10, 9

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I've used Toyo Open Country AT's and MT's, Nitto Trail Grapplers and Ridge Grapplers, Geolandar AT's, and Cooper STT Pro's. I loved the Toyo's but out of all those tire combos I think the Cooper's felt the best on and off road. They were great in snow and ice also, I only had the truck they were on for about 15k miles but they seemed to be holding up very well.

Sponsored

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well 40K isn't too far from the specified 55K but it is shorter than they are rated. FWIW, they allegedly have a 55K warranty (limited of course) so who knows if they'd honor it. And of course I'm sure it would be a pro-rated amount if they do, but still better than nothing.
For me, any tire exceeding 36K is "acceptable" wear. That gets you 3 years at the typical 12K per year range. Although for me 36K is more like 6+ years so that does make me a little less picky about long term wear.
I mis-spoke. the Falkens have 35k on them. 39k on the Jeep. Just put NITTO Ridge Grapplers on Yesterday. Night and Day Difference. 285/75 R17 E rated tires ride better than the SL Rated Falkens. And nowhere near as noisy. I'm sure that will change over time as it did with the Falkens. Changed wheels as well. Nittos are crazy expensive though.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Now that is interesting. I've always thought the Wildpeak AT3 were extremely quiet for a A/T tire. I'd actually go as far to say they rival a lot of HP tires. If the Ridge Grappler is quieter I just might have to give them a shot next time I'm tire shopping. I've looked at them more than once, but I've been concerned with noise, because I can't stand loud tires. I'll be interested to see if you're opinion changes after you've put a lot more miles on them. I appreciate the info.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I’m enjoying this read. I’m only at page 7 of the thread, so perhaps somebody has already linked this popular chart. If so, I’ll apologize and delete it when I can get back to my computer and finish the thread:

AT comparison chart

The advantage of these charts, is they provide aggregate data over thousands of users and millions of miles. There are several such charts, each with a different primary focus.
No need to delete it, keep it there. I actually got the idea for this thread/chart from tirerack's tire rating system. I hadn't seen their comparison chart, it's quite nice.

The key difference to this thread is that all the ratings are from Jeep owners. It started out broader, but I was able to eliminate the non-forum reviews after getting enough responses from the folks here. With that, the ratings will reflect how the tires are on our specific vehicles, as opposed to somewhere like tirerack where the tire could be on something like a 3500 Cummins dually. Sure they may both be running a KO2 (for example) but I'm sure it handles and wears differently on something like that it does on a Wrangler. Not to discount their chart, it's a great tool and as you mentioned reflects a lot more miles of "testing" so certainly worth having linked here.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
No need to delete it, keep it there. I actually got the idea for this thread/chart from tirerack's tire rating system. I hadn't seen their comparison chart, it's quite nice.

The key difference to this thread is that all the ratings are from Jeep owners. It started out broader, but I was able to eliminate the non-forum reviews after getting enough responses from the folks here. With that, the ratings will reflect how the tires are on our specific vehicles, as opposed to somewhere like tirerack where the tire could be on something like a 3500 Cummins dually. Sure they may both be running a KO2 (for example) but I'm sure it handles and wears differently on something like that it does on a Wrangler. Not to discount their chart, it's a great tool and as you mentioned reflects a lot more miles of "testing" so certainly worth having linked here.
Copy.

I think the general/comparative characteristics of a tire are constant across vehicles, but the balance between the strengths and weaknesses shifts.

We ran the Toyo MTs on our F350 and 3500/Cummins diesel trucks because those diesels are so heavy they burn through softer tires like a hot knife through butter, especially if you spend a lot of time on sharp chip-seal roads, as we did. The KO2s were pretty durable, but they provided almost no traction on winter logging cuts/roads, because they immediately load with mud and don't clear well. (Also, I ran 35x12.50x16.5s -- not a very big tire for a vehicle which weighed almost 8,600 pounds loaded. But even with all that weight helping to keep the tread on the road, the F-350s would hydroplane terribly if you hit inch-deep puddles on the highway. I had two full-blown butt-puckers hitting puddles on the interstate -- the kind where you hear the loss of tire noise and traction and, for a second or two, the truck is 15 to 20 degrees off course before returning to center.) After those experiences we went to winter tires that had a pattern open enough to evacuate water. The BFG KM3s worked well while they lasted, but were reduced to noisy wobblers in less than 20,000 miles on the diesel, so we switched to the Toyos and Duratracs. The Toyos held up great. They were the best balance we found for trucks that had to occasionally run in mud, as long as you never get near ice.

I have 37" KO2s on my JL and 35" KO2s on the Raptor. The KO2 surface area to vehicle weight relationship on the light JL makes it the perfect floater -- a hydroplane machine -- so I'd never run that combination in a northwest winter... In five weeks we do our seasonal tire swap: I bolt up the 37" studded Grabbers (on the JL -- because Duratracs aren't available in that size), and 35" studded Duratracs on the Raptor.

Last edited:

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Now that is interesting. I've always thought the Wildpeak AT3 were extremely quiet for a A/T tire. I'd actually go as far to say they rival a lot of HP tires. If the Ridge Grappler is quieter I just might have to give them a shot next time I'm tire shopping. I've looked at them more than once, but I've been concerned with noise, because I can't stand loud tires. I'll be interested to see if you're opinion changes after you've put a lot more miles on them. I appreciate the info.
The WIldpeaks were near silent at first then after 35k miles they got real noisy. The Ridge Grapplers make an albeit minor sing at about 80mph. Yes I recalibrated for tire size with my Tazer. I bought these as a second choice to the TOYOs which I couldn't find anywhere except National BackOrder Until December. I will say the Wildpeaks were great in the snow. Not too sure how these NITTOs will be. However our local Jeep club has a crew that go out during snow storms pulling people out for fun. Most have these tires and swear by them.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I've had bad cupping on my front Wildpeak A/Ts on my gladiator.. to be fair I didn't rotate until 15,000. But, my wife's wrangler has KO2s and they are wearing evenly on same schedule.
I have not gotten an alignment or anything but I would be pretty surprised if my stock Gladiator had a major alignment issue.
They were both very quiet new, my Wildpeaks got noisier.. not sure if that would be as noticeable if rotated more and no cupping.

I don't have much experience in mud or snow, but the Wildpeaks seemed to do ok in the few times we've driven in snow. I've had worse passenger tires I feel like.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've had bad cupping on my front Wildpeak A/Ts on my gladiator.. to be fair I didn't rotate until 15,000. But, my wife's wrangler has KO2s and they are wearing evenly on same schedule.
I have not gotten an alignment or anything but I would be pretty surprised if my stock Gladiator had a major alignment issue.
They were both very quiet new, my Wildpeaks got noisier.. not sure if that would be as noticeable if rotated more and no cupping.

I don't have much experience in mud or snow, but the Wildpeaks seemed to do ok in the few times we've driven in snow. I've had worse passenger tires I feel like.
My Wildpeaks were rotated with every oil change. 5K miles. 35psi New Steering Stabilizer (TSP Replacement) New Steering box (TSB Repair) Still got noisy. They are made in Korea and my NITTO are made in the USA. Only time will tell.

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone have any additional info on the BFG MK3? Debating that vs the KO2.

Thanks!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Thanks!
The mud-terrains are superior in the mud, obviously. They are also better in deep snow, they are pretty good on the rocks, and they are less prone to hydroplane, which is a real concern if you live in an area where you encounter larger puddles at highway speeds. This is especially true if you’re installing oversized tires, as there’s more surface area to surf. The tighter tread pattern is simply less effective at evacuating water, and once the water is between the tire and the road surface you’re hosed. (I used to run the old KO2s on our diesel F350 crew cabs. The tires were 35x 12.50 16.5s, so not much surface area in relation to the loaded weight of the trucks, which was more than 1.5 times the weight of my JLUR. Those trucks hydroplaned on me multiple times at highway speeds. I’m talking about the kind of episode when you see the puddle, hit it, hear the loss of tire/road noise for a second, and feel the vehicle surf, rotate, then hit the pavement again. It’s a full blown butt-pucker, and it’s extremely dangerous.) I run 37” KO2s on the Jeep in the summer when we have no rain, but they come off in the winter (Even though the KO2s are fantastic on packed snow and ice). (The northwest gets extremely heavy winter snowfall in the mountains and, often, very heavy rain on the coast and low valleys, so I run studded winter tires with a slightly more open tread pattern.)

The all-terrains are quieter, particularly as mileage accumulates on the MTs, they wear better, and they’re very good at everything else.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

Thanks!
I run KM2s, but if you want specific answers I can try to assist. The writing I have seen says the main difference is less noise due to less void between the tread, and 5-8% better in typical uses. Answers to "is it good?" vary wildly depending on if you want it for rocks, mud, street, etc.
Sponsored