Sponsored

Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN?

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I live in Minnesota, and will be picking up my Jeep from Gupton motors in TN.

I ordered the half doors, which means it will look like this;

1632925287542.png

I would prefer to bring the Wife and kid with. I am thinking about driving to a UPS and having them shipped home ?

Did anyone else have a long drive home with half doors? how did you do it?

Does anyone know how many boxes, and how much they weigh, maybe I can get shipping quotes ..
If it was me, I would load the Jeep onto a trailer and tow it home. Once home, take the family out for an adventure. This way you avoid shipping half doors and risks involved of towing during break in with Jeep. Just my .02.
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

1632925287542.png

I would prefer to bring the Wife and kid with. I am thinking about driving to a UPS and having them shipped home ?

Does anyone know how many boxes, and how much they weigh, maybe I can get shipping quotes ..
Leave the wife and kids in MN and stay in TN. You'll thank me this winter.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Tell the dealer your situation, ask for help with packaging/protecting the equipment for shipment. If you can build a good pallet, commercial ship might be a good bet.

Sponsored

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
Beating a dead horse probably, but what about simply unboxing the doors. For example, trying to get a 60" tv home from Costco in our sedan i had to unbox it first before it would fit in back seat.

The doors will probably take up alot less room if unpacked. Then your kid can probably fit back there. If not able to unfold a seat they can at least fit in cargo area (not advising no seatbelts, but life has it's risks and compromises☺).

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

1632925287542.png

There is a lot of dead space in the boxes. I would unbox wrap each door in heavy duty moving blankets and have dealer discard the boxes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? E36066B4-551C-423F-8659-9ED2B788F1DC

Jeeper1941

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Beating a dead horse probably, but what about simply unboxing the doors. For example, trying to get a 60" tv home from Costco in our sedan i had to unbox it first before it would fit in back seat.

The doors will probably take up alot less room if unpacked. Then your kid can probably fit back there. If not able to unfold a seat they can at least fit in cargo area (not advising no seatbelts, but life has it's risks and compromises☺).
Probably beating a the dead horse haha lol , lots of good suggestions here c I suggested something similar. Haven’t heard of OP in a while. Probably help others though

Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Granted I live a few hours from Gupton, my Grandmother lives about 20 minutes from there. You could always drop them off at her house and make a second trip to get them once the weather is more favorable!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This trip has be be done by now. How'd it go?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

There is a lot of dead space in the boxes. I would unbox wrap each door in heavy duty moving blankets and have dealer discard the boxes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? E36066B4-551C-423F-8659-9ED2B788F1DC
This is probably the smartest idea. Harbor Freight moving blankets are thick and stupid cheap and there's one literally less than a mile down the road from Gupton:

Jeep Wrangler JL Ideas for driving newly delivered JL home (MN) from TN? 1633448062267

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I drove home 40 min from the dealer last night with the dual door package stuffed inside. No room at all for passengers or for driver to adjust seat back an inch. I would not do that with other people, dont think you could anyway. The boxes are huge, but protect the doors nicely. I would not ship them in those boxes or your doors will get gacked up. Do it solo man or the unboxing blanket idea if you cant or wont go alone.

OP
OP

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I drove home 40 min from the dealer last night with the dual door package stuffed inside. No room at all for passengers or for driver to adjust seat back an inch. I would not do that with other people, dont think you could anyway. The boxes are huge, but protect the doors nicely. I would not ship them in those boxes or your doors will get gacked up. Do it solo man or the unboxing blanket idea if you cant or wont go alone.

I'm assuming you've unboxed the doors by now? do you think all 4 doors will fit in the trunk only, leaving the backseats open?

I am going to either put them in cases, or blankets .. .
Sponsored