Sponsored

New to Wrangler, initial thoughts after 4 days

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Be advised when I ordered 15 weeks ago I had never driven or even sat in one.

> They need a bug repeller on the windshield. OMG, the bugs.

> It drives great. I was very worried from all the posts I had read. It will follow the road in certain instances, but so does my truck.

> The little Turbo that could. This thing is peppy AF. Currently averaging 26.3 mpg

> Haven't had it even long enough to wash and inspect it closely, but so far the only defect I've found is inadequate paint on top of one of the windshield hinges presenting as a purplish hue you dont really notice unless looking for it.

> The Freedom Tops are so easy and quick. Very impressed.

> ESS sucks. Tho it does start lightning fast.

> Tires were at 40 upon delivery. Deflated to 36 before I left dealer.

> All fuses and relays were seated properly.

> On my initial 5 hour drive heading home I did not find it uncomfortable at all.

> I miss not having a cup holder on the door.

> I absolutely adore the Hella/Black. Super bright yellow except at sunrise/sunset.

> A little buyers remorse on the manual locks until I look at my window sticker, then I'm good.

> I've gotten a lot of waves, smiles and thumbs up from non-Jeep drivers, including these two little buddies who think it's really "Cool"

20211004_212959.jpg
Sponsored

GeckoJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Baja Yellow

> It drives great. I was very worried from all the posts I had read. It will follow the road in certain instances, but so does my truck.

> The little Turbo that could. This thing is peppy AF. Currently averaging 26.3 mpg

> Haven't had it even long enough to wash and inspect it closely, but so far the only defect I've found is inadequate paint on top of one of the windshield hinges presenting as a purplish hue you dont really notice unless looking for it.

> On my initial 5 hour drive heading home I did not find it uncomfortable at all.

> I absolutely adore the Hella/Black. Super bright yellow except at sunrise/sunset.

> A little buyers remorse on the manual locks until I look at my window sticker, then I'm good.

> I've gotten a lot of waves, smiles and thumbs up from non-Jeep drivers, including these two little buddies who think it's really "Cool"

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wrangler, initial thoughts after 4 days 20211004_212959
Congrats! So glad it finally arrived! Love the color.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!

Jeep Wrangler JL New to Wrangler, initial thoughts after 4 days 20211004_212959
I was in the same situation of not sitting in one before purchasing and receiving mine last month. In fact, I hadnā€™t even seen a Wrangler up close since my ā€˜03 a long time ago, but I knew I wanted one!

A few things that has impressed me:
1: The fact that 35ā€™s could have fit on my stock Rubicon.
2: The amount of flex.
3: The audio system (optional Alpine).
4: The neat way the battery cables are setup in that I can add my own powered devices without disconnecting the battery each time thereby not losing all my audio presets.

The thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is the ā€œauto parkā€ system if you have the door open and you try and drive.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Congrats!!!!!!! I am the exact opposite, I researched them on and off for over 3 years. There is no perfect vehicle and Wranglers are unique to begin with. It sounds like you knew what you were getting anyway so enjoy it. As said to me, there is nothing else like it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is the ā€œauto parkā€ system if you have the door open and you try and drive.
Ohhhhhh, that's what that was. The other night we went to pick up my truck from the airport. It was late, when I tried to take off the Wrangler suddenly slammed to a stop, the D was flashing and the screen said something had engaged. I didn't read it cuz I was tired and in a hurry to get home.

It do remember saying "WTF!"

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
Ohhhhhh, that's what that was. The other night we went to pick up my truck from the airport. It was late, when I tried to take off the Wrangler suddenly slammed to a stop, the D was flashing and the screen said something had engaged. I didn't read it cuz I was tired and in a hurry to get home.

It do remember saying "WTF!"
Same thing happened to me when dropping the boat in the water, freaked me out, too. 10 day owner, first modern Jeep.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you still going to sell her in the spring?..
Yes, but depends on:
> Wife's ultimate acceptance of her and desire to drive her.
> Spring used market condition
> 2022 pricing
> 2022 colors
> And if Gupton is still offering aggressive discounts. Which I don't think they will. Honestly, I want to repeat that experience. It was so surreal and enjoyable, pretty much the exact opposite of any new car purchase I've ever had.

There is one thing I can tell you already tho. I'm guessing there is gonna be a Wrangler in my life from now on. It's hard to explain.

Even tho I've only had the Freedom Top off so far, as I blasted down the freeway, music blasting,, wind in my hair, my troubles and worries melted away. šŸ˜

Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats!!!!!!! I am the exact opposite, I researched them on and off for over 3 years. There is no perfect vehicle and Wranglers are unique to begin with. It sounds like you knew what you were getting anyway so enjoy it. As said to me, there is nothing else like it.
Oh, I researched the hell out of it. And read way too many posts on this forum. šŸ™‚

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Congrats! Nice impressions thus far, glad it's working out for all of you. And yeah ESS sucks, but I got the Tazer Lite and it's all good now :)

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! Nice impressions thus far, glad it's working out for all of you. And yeah ESS sucks, but I got the Tazer Lite and it's all good now :)
I bought the Tazer Mini last month. I'm gonna wait a month or two before I install it, but yes, then the ESS won't be an issue. šŸ˜‰

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
Love this thread! I had a 2012 Wrangler and have been without for 5 years and likely jumping back in with a 2022. Just yesterday I read a thread about engines and it changed my mind to go with the turbo 4. I'd been hesitant because of the ESS but now I know there's a way to disable that if it bugs me! Also the auto park ... that would have shocked me too!

I'm also planning on the upgraded Alpine speakers but NOT the upgraded head unit. I can't justify spending 2k for a bigger screen. I don't need navigation with Apple Car Play. Has anyone else gone this route and any feedback on the smaller screen with the Alpine speakers?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Congrats! I'm a first-time buyer, too - picked mine up in July.

If you like the Freedom Tops, I highly, highly recommend that you budget for a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtops. It's everything you love about the Freedom Panels, without the hassle of the actual Freedom Panels. It's not cheap, but I can't see a reason I would ever take it off, personally. I open it pretty much every time I drive.
Sponsored