Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep JLR
Do you see where I'm going with this?

OP wanted to know the potential shortfalls of the 3.6.

"I can install one myself" isn't exactly helpful.
True, my statement wasn’t helpful.

I was actually more taken back to the rather low cost of a complete 3.6 in newish condition.

As for the reliability of the 3.6, my experience of 18 months and 29,000 miles has been trouble free and hopefully it will stay that way. I will say that this forum and the JT one all seem to be full of vehicles with issues and if I had spent much time on either before purchasing I would have hesitated.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
True, my statement wasn’t helpful.

I was actually more taken back to the rather low cost of a complete 3.6 in newish condition.

As for the reliability of the 3.6, my experience of 18 months and 29,000 miles has been trouble free and hopefully it will stay that way. I will say that this forum and the JT one all seem to be full of vehicles with issues and if I had spent much time on either before purchasing I would have hesitated.
That is an incredibly low mileage marker to judge reliability on. No modern engine has problems in large quantities within 30k miles. none.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
'20 JLR with 93,106 Miles, has always ran perfect, never needed any repairs of any kind. It has been meticulously maintained, regular oil and filter changes, all gear case oil changed twice. Owning the 392 has really made me appreciate this 2-door six. It is quick and agile. The engine seems to rev quick and free now that it is completely broke in. It idles at 750 rpm very smooth and quiet firing evenly on all cylinders. That tells you the compression is good (and equal) on all cylinders. I see no end to this Jeeps service. There is a video of one of these engines out of a delivery van with over 600K miles on it! What killed that motor was the cam chain guides wore out and cams got out of time. I have had all the Toyota v6 engines offered in the tacoma and 4R (3.4, 3.5, and 4.0). None of them could match the Jeep's 3.6 for power or mileage.

JLRMiles10-1-21.jpeg

JLR10-1-21.jpeg

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I know this has been done but maybe we can revisit strictly 3.6 L engine reliability and possibly anything to watch out for that could leave you stranded on a trail. Let’s share any bad experiences people have had with this engine.
E2BC6AA9-5D91-4CB1-A737-480FED9D5D9A.jpeg
The 3.6 is not what you need to worry about. The fragile electrical system should worry you more. From my recent experience it does me. One short in a small sub system or accessory can lead to a cascade of failures in the system. Had my 2020 3.6 bought back due to this happening. Jeep could not find the problem nor did they have any idea what system failed first and caused the issues. Electrical issues are rather common, harder to track down and repair then issues with the 3.6

Now my 2013 JKU with 3.6 was super reliable and never once failed to get me there and back for over 125,000 miles. I have a lot of faith in 3.6. Would have gotten a 3.6 again in my replacement 2021 JLUR but absolutely did not want the add complexity of the ETorque system that was mandatory at the time I ordered.

OP
OP
DUNE RAP

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
'20 JLR with 93,106 Miles, has always ran perfect, never needed any repairs of any kind. It has been meticulously maintained, regular oil and filter changes, all gear case oil changed twice. Owning the 392 has really made me appreciate this 2-door six. It is quick and agile. The engine seems to rev quick and free now that it is completely broke in. It idles at 750 rpm very smooth and quiet firing evenly on all cylinders. That tells you the compression is good (and equal) on all cylinders. I see no end to this Jeeps service. There is a video of one of these engines out of a delivery van with over 600K miles on it! What killed that motor was the cam chain guides wore out and cams got out of time. I have had all the Toyota v6 engines offered in the tacoma and 4R (3.4, 3.5, and 4.0). None of them could match the Jeep's 3.6 for power or mileage.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ENGINE RELIABILITY JLR10-1-21

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ENGINE RELIABILITY JLR10-1-21
Love the 2DR’s! Such a fun vehicle!

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
3.6L engine completely unreliable
After 36000 miles, the engine started knocking
I had to replace an engine with the same engine type
At the cost of $ 8600 (Long Block without the all covers)
The service center does not take responsibility

Gray Oil.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 14.49.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 14.49.42 (1).jpeg

Old New Engine1.jpeg

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The 3.6 is not what you need to worry about. The fragile electrical system should worry you more. From my recent experience it does me. One short in a small sub system or accessory can lead to a cascade of failures in the system. Had my 2020 3.6 bought back due to this happening. Jeep could not find the problem nor did they have any idea what system failed first and caused the issues. Electrical issues are rather common, harder to track down and repair then issues with the 3.6

Now my 2013 JKU with 3.6 was super reliable and never once failed to get me there and back for over 125,000 miles. I have a lot of faith in 3.6. Would have gotten a 3.6 again in my replacement 2021 JLUR but absolutely did not want the add complexity of the ETorque system that was mandatory at the time I ordered.
There is no modern vehicle that does not suffer the same problem. You still can't get a good PCM for a TJ.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The JL is a solid machine with the 8 speed and the 3.6 V6. It has a few quirks. Mostly due to ESS, 2 door seats, and other small things. All relatively simple to fix. It should be a great long term jeep if properly maintained.
2 door seats?

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I agree with you 100%! But when I go on these long trips in the middle of nowhere sometimes I get nervous! LOL
Buy a Honda, or Toyota when you travel, the Jeep is fine, but since you have doubts you will never feel comfortable with one. Jeeps are not for everyone, so live on the wild side of life and enjoy the experiences. Some spend there entire life worrying about what could happen and for them it usually does, pass on the Jeep to get the better percentages for you.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Buy a Honda, or Toyota when you travel, the Jeep is fine, but since you have doubts you will never feel comfortable with one. Jeeps are not for everyone, so live on the wild side of life and enjoy the experiences. Some spend there entire life worrying about what could happen and for them it usually does, pass on the Jeep to get the better percentages for you.
im pretty sure he’s worried about getting stuck 20 miles up a mountain. Not halfway between San Francisco and New York.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The engine is a pretty solid unit, it doesn't worry me. It's the electronics/control systems that scare the crap out of me.
I was so nervous, I foolishly bought a Sport with no power anything. Now, I have to explain to anyone under 50 how to roll down the windows.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I agree with you 100%! But when I go on these long trips in the middle of nowhere sometimes I get nervous! LOL
It is always ironic that people become more comfortable with an engine’s reliability the longer they drive it, yet it becomes less reliable as parts wear.

Be sure to differentiate between reliable and well-built. Jeeps, when well maintained and not abused too badly, are reliable in that they start and are able to make it home when many other vehicles would not.

However, I would not characterize them as being “well-built,” in that they creak and rattle more than most. This partly has to do with many parts being easily removable (like the roof), so they simply are not tightened down as much as others … and Jeep tends to forget to tighten everything down themselves.

The final thing to point out is that although there are a lot of electronics that you cannot fix, you can fix a lot of things on a Jeep while remote. When I go to the mountains, I have a tool kit (sockets, torque wrench, screwdrivers, etc) in the back. I also have a portable air compressor and tire repair kit. Won’t guarantee you won’t get stuck, but it helps.
Sponsored