m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It looks like you have a ton of opinions, so here's mine. I went ahead and ordered (9/20) for the following reasons:

1. My '07 JKU is starting to show more issues.
2. I'm not sure about anything that will change on the '22, except the price, I feel with a fair amount of confidence it will go up.
3. They had the color I wanted, why wait?

Far as part shortages, it's a 1 or 0, the chip is either available and it works or it doesn't. It's not like they are short a Blind Spot chip so they throw in something that kinda works......so I wouldn't sweat that.

Last - with respect to discount. I ordered the '07 JKU in '06 and used these forums to get roughly 5% below invoice at the time, something like $23,500. I used these same forums to get 8% below invoice this time around, now naturally that invoice price has gone up, but the discount is still there for the high volume dealers. You just have to put in the work to go out and get the price, why pay MSRP?
yes criswell in maryland is offering 7% below invoice until sept 31

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yes.
put simply; NOT ordering it is not going to get you one any faster.

then, just forget about it and be patient.
as we say at work:
"it takes thousands of parts to build a vehicle.
it only takes one part to NOT build a vehicle."

Would you order a new Jeep knowing that there are shortages on computer chips, software, wiring and so on? I'm hesitant in ordering a new jeep because I don't want the jeep to be made with left over parts due to shortages.

Sponsored

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
Would you order a new Jeep knowing that there are shortages on computer chips, software, wiring and so on? I'm hesitant in ordering a new jeep because I don't want the jeep to be made with left over parts due to shortages.
Answering the original question, if you really want a JL and don't mind paying a premium, then order and wait out the delivery delays inherent to today's product shortages. You will likely wait longer than those who ordered 6 months ago, but you will have your rig. I don't think "left over parts" is an issue - it's just getting the parts needed for build delivered to the factory.

If you can wait it out, you will likely pay less, but you won't have the Jeep you want for the price you want for another 12-18 months.

Supply and demand....

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I think you are better off just ordering one now rather than waiting.
The chip shortage will not end any time soon for the automotive sector.

A large part of the problem, in addition to the global supply chain issues is the fact that automotive chips are based on crazy old fab processes. like 90nM process old. These chips were not even advanced when the first iPhone came out.
During the first part of the pandemic, auto orders were down sharply, thereby cutting fab orders by the same amount.
Concurrently, consumer chip sales exploded as people on lock down started buying new PCs and stuff.
The fabs which used to make chips for the auto sector shifted capacity to newer fab processes to meet that demand.
Now that car sales are going up, there are few fabs willing to shift production to the old fab lines since there is simply no profit in it.
They are telling the auto motive sector to redesign their shit and step into the modern era.
The company I work for has seen a huge increase in demand for automotive OEMS trying to certify new components with new chip designs. These global homologations take a long time. Like 1 year to complete.

As a side note, unless the governments of the world drop the covid movement restrictions for supply chain transportation, I fear we are in for a global shit storm in the very near future. Shipping crews, truck drivers, dock workers and so on are leaving in droves. When you look at these guys stuck for weeks at sea waiting for a birth or stuck along highways waiting to clear customers for days, it's no wonder.
No workers means not only no new Jeep, it means no food.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Howā€™s that work when they gave you a price upon ordering that you sign for?? šŸ˜–
It's buried in the contract. Since you have not taken delivery, it's possible to change the terms. Same way a person can cancel an order.
If you think that's bad...
A buddy of mine, who is definitely not a rich man was given a plot of land sub divided from his parent's plot.
He contracted a builder to put a new home on there for about 300k. Which was stretching what he could afford to do.
In the meantime, lumber and building supplies in general have increase in some cases 500%. The builder stopped everything and would only agree to continue if my buddy covered the increase in building materials.. which was an additional 100k.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Howā€™s that work when they gave you a price upon ordering that you sign for?? šŸ˜–
Price was not discussed. Went directly to sales manager, ordered 392 , was given PO with MSRP & invoice, no deposit. Was charged MSRP on PO upon delivery. Since the other local dealer wanted $10K over and the best l could find within about a 3 hr drive was $5K over ( one wanted $20K ) and we had not discussed price wondering what he might try to pull but he didnā€™t even go for the $695 . Thatā€™s why I say heā€™ a good honest dealer

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
Hey guys! just ordered a 2021 JLR last night. joined the JL forum this AM. I've been a member of most Jeep generation forums including Gladiator as I've owned nearly all of them haha! No fear here in ordering during these crazy times. every day you wait the price goes up. have a great day guys, glad to be apart of this.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Sarge Green Sport S w/ dual top, LED, convenance group, Tow Package took 9 weeks to deliver.
Been very happy with it!

SurfingJeep

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport (soon I hope), BMW 335xi M-Sport
If you can wait it out, you will likely pay less, but you won't have the Jeep you want for the price you want for another 12-18 months.
Holy smokes, is that what we are thinking in terms of delivery now? Or are you implying that 12-18 months will be when some of the chip shortage pressures abate? I'm debating buying a Wrangler @ MSRP this weekend, off the lot, vs. ordering. I don't mind being patient, but a Bronco style wait is a mighty long time.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
Holy smokes, is that what we are thinking in terms of delivery now? Or are you implying that 12-18 months will be when some of the chip shortage pressures abate? I'm debating buying a Wrangler @ MSRP this weekend, off the lot, vs. ordering. I don't mind being patient, but a Bronco style wait is a mighty long time.
MSRP off the lot is a good deal these days!
Sponsored