The infamous bubbling paint around door hinges questions

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I know there's various threads, some over a year old covering the bubbling paint near hinges and other aluminum body panels. All my doors are experiencing this, some on the hinges themselves but most extending outward from where the hinge bolts to the door. The paint is still full intact and pushing on it its solid, not crunchy like rust on a steel body panel. I'm going to call the dealer today to get it documented while I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty, but nervous to get any work done to be honest. It's definitely grown, but still isn't noticeable unless you look for it. I'm worried how a "fix" will look and how long it will last, as it seems most warranty fixes are setting it back to how it was done at the factory vs addressing the root problem. Anyone had this work done say over a year ago, has it held up? I assume leaving it be will result in the paint failing, making a bigger mess. Plus it kills me making payments on a 2020 and already dealing with this type of issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I know there's various threads, some over a year old covering the bubbling paint near hinges and other aluminum body panels. All my doors are experiencing this, some on the hinges themselves but most extending outward from where the hinge bolts to the door. The paint is still full intact and pushing on it its solid, not crunchy like rust on a steel body panel. I'm going to call the dealer today to get it documented while I'm still under bumper to bumper warranty, but nervous to get any work done to be honest. It's definitely grown, but still isn't noticeable unless you look for it. I'm worried how a "fix" will look and how long it will last, as it seems most warranty fixes are setting it back to how it was done at the factory vs addressing the root problem. Anyone had this work done say over a year ago, has it held up? I assume leaving it be will result in the paint failing, making a bigger mess. Plus it kills me making payments on a 2020 and already dealing with this type of issue.
UPDATE:
Spoke to the Warranty Admin at my dealer, says they've seen a lot of Wranglers with this issue (as we know on this board). This dealer is one of the few I'm told that accept body work warranty intakes as they have a partnership with a local body shop they really trust. He mentioned almost all the ones with this issue in their experience have been red or black for whatever reason.

I bring the Jeep in for pictures tomorrow then told the wait is on Chrysler to approve it, takes anywhere from 2 weeks to several months with no explicable reason why such a difference in time, hasn't been based on when the warranty claim was submitted. They claim to be done right all the exposed metal needs a special coating before being put together and then painted. The coating take 36-48 hours to cure then the assembly and painting can begin. I'm told to expect it to take 4-7 days.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was also going to hold off, but bubbling got worse. Corrosion, once started, will only continue and get worse. Wanted it done inside warranty to protect myself later on. Also, wanted to force it to be fixed right way by painting under hinges so chances of it coming back would be significantly less. Now dealing with 3rd respray due to color match concerns and poor workmanship which is exactly what I was afraid of.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Your paint is covered (this issue is covered) for 5 years! A 2020 will look like a 2001 if you dont address the issue! My dealership had to be kicked in the rear to assign. My case and get my 2018 in. My paint is spot on! 1 of 4 hinges upon inspection by me when “fixed” wasnt corrected so I sent it back. They have to give u an equivalent loaner fyi!
if you actually speak to the AB guy doing the fix he will explain to you Jeep is aware of this 2018+ issue. And the AB no doubt will have a complete answer for you as to why corrosion (no sealing; aluminum on steel;no complete-all surround paint job) is happening. But Joe-schmoe knows you cannot put the two pieces together without sealing them and keeping them from touching eachother!

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Your paint is covered (this issue is covered) for 5 years! A 2020 will look like a 2001 if you dont address the issue! My dealership had to be kicked in the rear to assign. My case and get my 2018 in. My paint is spot on! 1 of 4 hinges upon inspection by me when “fixed” wasnt corrected so I sent it back. They have to give u an equivalent loaner fyi!
if you actually speak to the AB guy doing the fix he will explain to you Jeep is aware of this 2018+ issue. And the AB no doubt will have a complete answer for you as to why corrosion (no sealing; aluminum on steel;no complete-all surround paint job) is happening. But Joe-schmoe knows you cannot put the two pieces together without sealing them and keeping them from touching eachother!
Yup, the Warranty admin at my dealer said as much, it's a production problem at Jeep not properly treating (sealing) the raw metals on hinge, door, and bolts. I would say most if not all my door hinges have this to varying degrees as does my tailgate. Although the curious thing is this same issue is common along the door bottoms too, far from the hinges. Just got the pictures taken yesterday and already called Chrysler to open a case and hopefully keep my claim moving forward. At what point do warranty claims become more $$$ for Jeep than simply addressing the assembly issue? Ford is far from perfect, but there's another player in town now.

Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Yup, the Warranty admin at my dealer said as much, it's a production problem at Jeep not properly treating (sealing) the raw metals on hinge, door, and bolts. I would say most if not all my door hinges have this to varying degrees as does my tailgate. Although the curious thing is this same issue is common along the door bottoms too, far from the hinges. Just got the pictures taken yesterday and already called Chrysler to open a case and hopefully keep my claim moving forward. At what point do warranty claims become more $$$ for Jeep than simply addressing the assembly issue? Ford is far from perfect, but there's another player in town now.
Its so frustrating because I ordered my sahara and its “my perfect vehicle”. Our 3rd wrangler. I still have my 99 and its in Great shape! To see this is so saddening and I want to buy it after my lease is up- am I buying a foreseeable rust bucket? Come on Jeep step up to the plate and do the right thing!

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Already had two doors and the hood repaired on my Mojito! 2019 JLUR. Timeframe from them taking pictures to completed repairs was about 6 weeks. Took about 10 days for warranty approval. The repairs were completed mid June and no sign of any issues returning yet. My issues included the hood's leading edge, right side door hinges and trailing edge of same door. If it returns in these areas or appears on any new areas, I'll be considering selling it and walking away from Jeeps for a while.

BTW, when I brought this to the dealership's attention they said "we've never seen this issue before on a Jeep". This reaction was from the body shop and the service dept. managers in May of this year.

Edit: The entire hood was repainted but the doors were blended as far as I can tell. Paint matches really well. I cannot spot any obvious differences and I've tried.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Hate to sound stupid but I didn't know aluminum could rust.

But, if there is a way to screw something up Jeep will find it :bandit:

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
UPDATE:
Spoke to the Warranty Admin at my dealer, says they've seen a lot of Wranglers with this issue (as we know on this board). This dealer is one of the few I'm told that accept body work warranty intakes as they have a partnership with a local body shop they really trust. He mentioned almost all the ones with this issue in their experience have been red or black for whatever reason.

I bring the Jeep in for pictures tomorrow then told the wait is on Chrysler to approve it, takes anywhere from 2 weeks to several months with no explicable reason why such a difference in time, hasn't been based on when the warranty claim was submitted. They claim to be done right all the exposed metal needs a special coating before being put together and then painted. The coating take 36-48 hours to cure then the assembly and painting can begin. I'm told to expect it to take 4-7 days.
Mines Pumkin

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line

Read further youll figure it out

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Can you assist and point me where it says the paint is covered under warranty for 5 years on a 2018 JLU. Bubbles are stating to show after 3 years. Always garaged, in central CA. and only 16,500 miles on it. So sad.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Can you assist and point me where it says the paint is covered under warranty for 5 years on a 2018 JLU. Bubbles are stating to show after 3 years. Always garaged, in central CA. and only 16,500 miles on it. So sad.
Well my 2018 JL is at the AB shop after I contacted my dealership who advised me Wranglers paint job is covered for 5 years- Thus I will point you straight to your deslership and tell you to call them; them then your paint is bubbling like 1000s of others; you want it fixed through the 5 year paint warranty coverage.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well my 2018 JL is at the AB shop after I contacted my dealership who advised me Wranglers paint job is covered for 5 years- Thus I will point you straight to your deslership and tell you to call them; them then your paint is bubbling like 1000s of others; you want it fixed through the 5 year paint warranty coverage.
Sounds like a plan. Found it. Thanks

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Aluminium will absolutely corrode. It just doesn't go red like iron. Chuck something aluminium into a dishwasher cycle and you can speed up the process. Lol.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Aluminium will absolutely corrode. It just doesn't go red like iron. Chuck something aluminium into a dishwasher cycle and you can speed up the process. Lol.
I think people equate most aluminum with anodized which looks raw but is corrosion-protected.
Sponsored