Sponsored

Full Technology 8.4 Uconnect upgrade

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I currently have a 2021 JL Rubicon and want to do a total upgrade to the 8.4 and LTE system. I know that there many threads about different parts of this topic, but I have not found one that totally covers what I am looking for. When I bought my JL, my options were limited and I got a great deal so I could not complain. I have slowly been adding on all of the features that I wanted to buy it with after the fact (and for the most part significantly cheaper, IE the stock steel bumpers). That being said, I am trying to form a total parts list to accomplish this. I currently have the Uconnect 7. Has anyone had any success in upgrading not just the size, but also adding the LTE? I know there are other options for adding wifi, but I want to go in this direction. My first concern is that I am finding two different part numbers for the 8.4 68429173AB and 68295725AH. I believe the first is for the newer JL's and the latter is for the older ones. Am I correct? I just want to make sure before I spend $1425 on a radio. I believe 6AB55TX7AB is the number for the bezel and 68293962AA is the part for the LTE antenna, but I can not find a part number for the burgundy fakra cable. I also can't find a part number for the rear view mirror. What other parts am I needing and does anyone know the missing part numbers?
Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Trust me, you're far better off going with an aftermarket radio. The 8.4 is crap and the OEM Alpine speakers are some of the cheapest ones that Alpine makes. The 8.4 system is buggy, slow to respond and an overall embarrassment when compared to the systems in most modern vehicles. If you want the OEM look, Insane Audio or Alpine both have kits available within the same price range as the 8.4.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Trust me, you're far better off going with an aftermarket radio. The 8.4 is crap and the OEM Alpine speakers are some of the cheapest ones that Alpine makes. The 8.4 system is buggy, slow to respond and an overall embarrassment when compared to the systems in most modern vehicles. If you want the OEM look, Insane Audio or Alpine both have kits available within the same price range as the 8.4.
I do not find this to be true in any way shape or form. I had the 8.4 in my 2013 Ram. Never bothered me once. I had it in my 2018 JLUR with Nav and again worked great. Have the 12" uconnect in my 2020 Ram, very pleased. Have the 8.4 with Nav in my 21 JLUR392 and again have zero issues with it.
Personally I would never consider an aftermarket head unit. Most look like an afterthought IMO.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
The 8.4 unit I have on my Jeep is trash with tons of issues. Uconnect connects and disconnects with your phone ect. BUT! I would still pick it over the aftermarket one. just for fit and finish. When it does work its still nice.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
The 8.4 in my WK2 was ok, no complaints, but when it came time to replace the 7" in my JT, I went with Stinger. I know the lack of weather resistance is important to some, but I rarely/never remove my top, so no problem for me. If the latest Teyes was available at the time, I probably would have went that way (tinkering is ok for me).

Sponsored

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I ended up using lemon law to get a settlement from FCA for the issues with my 8.4 NAV unit in my 2019 Ram. looked great, features were great. Bluetooth connection was garbage as was the android auto. I basically couldn't stream music through it which was the reason why I wanted the Alpine upgrade in the first place.

Go aftermarket, I'm not an aftermarket guy, but I would not pay for the 8.4 uconnect if it were my money.

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I am not sure where others are coming from, but I think the factory upgraded system is pretty darn good. Yes, the Apple Car play connects and disconnects randomly, but I have seen that in all other Apple Car Play systems. Honda for example is (I still own a Civic) horrible for this. The UConnect app is clunky as hell, that I would agree with. SLOW! It also lacks simple statuses as well. The car stereo though rocks in my opinion. Maybe it is the speaker placement primarily, but it does it for me.
Sponsored