Best Setup for RV Flat Tow

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon,
I did my first flat tow of my 2021 JLUR in Texas. It went pretty well.

I have updated my document Tow Checklist Jeep Wrangler 2021.pdf (PDF) with some changes from the experience.

The significant change was with how to set up and initialize the RVi Brake. I have a feeling that if the Start button is in anything other than OFF, the Wrangler may recharge its brake cylinder, and the first braking of the RVi Brake may be very strong and lead to wheel lockup and tire damage. This happened to me with my Honda CRV and I had to replace two tires because I ran the CRV engine after initializing the RVi Brake.

I also added an item on doing a short tow test, speeding up to 15 - 20 mph and then performing an Emergency Brake action to verify that the RVi Brake activates but does not lock up the wheels.
Iā€˜ll be using all the same RVi equipment when I get done rigging out the JL. Thanks for posting your hookup procedure document.
Nicely done!
Sponsored

ColonelKlemp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I just finished setting up my 2018 JLU for flat towing behind my Truck/Camper. I went with the Curt RV flat tow harness and a Curt 7 pin to 4 pin receptor for the front of the Jeep. I also installed the LOD front bumper with the reinforcing brackets to the frame. My goal is to have the 7 pin behind my truck go straight to the 7 pin on the front of the jeep. This is giving me the 4 pin connector for the lights on my Jeep and a battery charger wire, brake wire and ground wire. The install was pretty straight forward and would have been faster but I spent some time at the front of the jeep setting up and soldering the RV harness to the 7 pin receptor. I am very impressed with the quality of LOD's bumper and the Curt RV harness. Everything was very well built.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Weā€™ve been flat towing since 1985, best setup so far have been the Maximus 3 tow loops. Just ordered for the 21ā€™ JLUR and worked great on the 13ā€™ 2 door Rubicon. They look good, easy to install and no ugly baseplate under the bumper.

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-tow-loops#/

AAD8A433-5461-43C4-BF3B-93977FD897AB.jpeg

5B10DBD5-6C48-4E7E-8859-433A15ABD26A.jpeg

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Arrrgh!

The best checklist is of no use when I skip over the important step of ā€œRelease Parking Brakeā€ !!!

In my defense, it was a brutally hot and humid day here and I was tired.

I towed my Jeep about 2 miles with the parking brake On and was fortunately flagged down by someone who told me that smoke was coming out of the Jeep.

We pulled over immediately. Smoke was coming out of the right rear wheel and disappeared soon.

We disconnected the Jeep and found an auto shop nearby. It seems to drive fine and the regular brakes seem to work normally. They are going to take a look at it in a little while.

Thoughts and prayers are appreciated šŸ™

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, phew, I narrowly missed a bullet there!

The mechanic said that I had lost a small amount of material from the parking brake, but it was still functional and no damage was done to it or anything else.

I am on the road now, towing the Jeep with hopefully no more adventuresā€¦

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Ok, phew, I narrowly missed a bullet there!

The mechanic said that I had lost a small amount of material from the parking brake, but it was still functional and no damage was done to it or anything else.

I am on the road now, towing the Jeep with hopefully no more adventuresā€¦
Most of my "life lessons" are a lot more expensive. šŸ˜‰

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Waiting for my 2022 Seneca Super C to arrive... I have 2021 JLUR with an ACE aftermarket bumper. The Maximus tow brackets just arrived today and I will attempt to cut/modify this bumper to allow for the brackets to go through it. I made a cardboard version and it looks like it will work. Is anyone using the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar? I am not sure which d-ring adaptors I need. I found these

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-035.html?hhyear=2021&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=Wrangler+Unlimited

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Waiting for my 2022 Seneca Super C to arrive... I have 2021 JLUR with an ACE aftermarket bumper. The Maximus tow brackets just arrived today and I will attempt to cut/modify this bumper to allow for the brackets to go through it. I made a cardboard version and it looks like it will work. Is anyone using the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar? I am not sure which d-ring adaptors I need. I found these

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-035.html?hhyear=2021&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=Wrangler+Unlimited
While I can't help you on the Sterling, I can say I did install the Maximus 3 loops on my JT Gladiator Steel Bumper and they work well. Now I also have an 2022 Entegra Accolade 37L Super C on order pending delivery in October. I'm using the Ready Brute Elite II.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

While I can't help you on the Sterling, I can say I did install the Maximus 3 loops on my JT Gladiator Steel Bumper and they work well. Now I also have an 2022 Entegra Accolade 37L Super C on order pending delivery in October. I'm using the Ready Brute Elite II.
Keep in touch. Would like to see how your Entegra works out. I just ordered the Seneca 37m. How long did it take from order to delivery for you?

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Keep in touch. Would like to see how your Entegra works out. I just ordered the Seneca 37m. How long did it take from order to delivery for you?
That's the funny thing. Ordered 5 July through NIRVC Atlanta and they told me they hoped I could have it by Christmas. It left the assembly line yesterday and is in paint right now. Expected to ship on 5 October. Not complaining.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

My 2nd trip with the Maximus 3 went over 6 mountain passes below was the result, the maximus 3 bent. Now I am towing a 4xe scale weight at 5800lbs but this should not be happening. Maximus did promptly replace it though (great customer service) I will be watching it closely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow IMG_3803

Last edited:

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

My 2nd trip pit with the Maximus 3 went of 6 mountain passes below was the result, the maximus 3 bent. Now I am towing a 4xe scale weight at 5800lbs but this should not be happening. Maximus di promptly replace it though (great customer service) I will be watching it closely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best Setup for RV Flat Tow IMG_3803
Thanks, my rig weighs about the same. I have the Maximus 3 in hand, just waiting for the adapters for my roadmaster sterling hitch. I want to ensure I will have enough room for it to work with my ACE bumper before I start hacking it up. It appears like they will not stick out enough to use a tow defender to keep the rocks off the Jeep...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
For being so saftey oriented your about 800 lbs over the towing capity of that allegro red

Do your Home work, 2016 Red 33AA 360hp with Allison 3000 with 10K towing capacity. 2016 reds switched from the 340hp Allison 2500 that were rated for only 5k lbs in the 2013-15's (Even some 2015's had the upgraded Powertrain), the ONLY reason the 2015 were 5K is the Allison 2500 only had a 33000lb max GCVW, (it was not the lack of HP or torque or the frame is was strictly the transmission, Allison 2500) unlike the 2016 with the Allison 3000 with a GCVW of 38000lbs.. How about that you learned something today...

Last edited:

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Can't say I did much homework. The dealer website with the camper you bought said 5000 lbs towing. They must have had the wring specs listed. I'm glad you got the upgraded motor and tranny. I'm sure you will be happier with this combo. I was just surprised to see you had the maximus 3 tow hooks after you previously bad mouthed them. It sucks one of yours has bent. I have been towing a heavy ecodiesel with mine, and haven't had any issues. I've been to glacier, yellowstone, grandtetons, moab, Sanjuan mts, smokey mountains, and haven't had any issues yet. Hopefully it was just a fluke or you made too sharp of turn a time or two.
Sponsored