Sponsored

Need you input, got my first kidney stones…

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Ugh, went to the ER Tuesday thinking I had appendicitis, turns out it is my first kidney stone. Anyway they got the pain under control and sent me home.
A couple of questions for any of you poor souls who have had these before

First how damn long does it take to pass em? Mine is tiny at 1 mm in size, but is the worst pain I have ever felt

Second the pain meds (Oxy, and more powerful stuff in the ER) have completely stopped any bowel movements. I am taking Muralax twice a day, but so far nothing

Thank y’all for your insight on this. Hoping it passes soon!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Murphydog

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Thanks all, the pain is really unbelievable

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Dude, I feel for you. Had my first on 5/21, then another on 7/2. For pain management, Oxy sucked. It lasted about an hour and then I was miserable again. I did 600 mg of Advil Liquigels every 5 hours and took 1 FloMax in the afternoon. Make sure you see a Urologist and have the FloMax scrip at the ready if you get another.

I went to the ER the first time, but was better prepared the second time.

I never caught the first stone, but the 2nd time, it was 5 mm and I passed it 2 days after first pain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Murphydog

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Dude, I feel for you. Had my first on 5/21, then another on 7/2. For pain management, Oxy sucked. It lasted about an hour and then I was miserable again. I did 600 mg of Advil Liquigels every 5 hours and took 1 FloMax in the afternoon. Make sure you see a Urologist and have the FloMax scrip at the ready if you get another.

I went to the ER the first time, but was better prepared the second time.

I never caught the first stone, but the 2nd time, it was 5 mm and I passed it 2 days after first pain.
Headed in to NW Kidney center now. Oxy has worked, but the constipated sucks.

Going to get the FloMax refilled.

Mine is only 1 mm, but feel worse

OP
OP
Murphydog

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Well the good news is everything I am experiencing is typical...the bad news (for me at least) is I just gotta wait and let the dang thing pass.

We reviewed my CT scan, and it is super close to my bladder... once there the pain should decrease quite a bit.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
having had appendicitis (and a hernia surgery a few weeks after which was way worse) it sounds like you'd have been better off with it instead of the kidney stones

Sponsored

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
I've had one kidney stone and agree the pain is unbelievable! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

After a week I still hadn't passed mine so they put me in the hospital and went up and got it. It looked like a cocklebur and felt a lot bigger than it actually was.

I pissed bloody urine for a week. Good luck.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Those are so painful!!! I don't remember how big it was but my first one they had to blast it with ultrasound waves to break it up before I could pass it. I've had a couple since but the pain was nothing like the first one. Good Luck with everything!

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I've had two... +1 on the FlowMax! You'll pee it right out. Definitely the worst pain I've ever felt as I literally collapsed to the floor and freaked out my co-workers.

You feel it move from kidney to bladder with cold sweats, back ache, blood in urine, and excruciating pain. Then all is good until it hits your urethra... now time to pee it out. If you're lucky it'll just shoot out. If not, kinda wedges in there until it decides to move.

I drink plenty of tea/water now and make sure to have a low salt diet. Lay off the red meats too. Good luck!

OP
OP
Murphydog

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I think I am out of the woods so to speak - the painful sensation is 99% gone, given that is was tiny (how people deal with the bigger ones is beyond me!) it seams to have broken up once it passed into my bladder.

I have a follow up on strategies to prevent from happening again, and I intend to follow those to a T!

Thanks for all your replies, and hopefully none of us experience this again
Sponsored