First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I am starting to plan a trip to Moab next summer (June or July). Where is a good place to tent camp to get up in elevation and cooler temps for better sleeping.
Thanks for any recommendations. ✌
Sponsored

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I agree. Up into the LaSal mountains. It is so hot in Moab in June and July, and camping up in the LaSals is the only place high enough in elevation to make a difference.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Werner lake campground is beautiful, well shaded with aspen trees, and 20⁰ cooler than town.

Moosebear

First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 84 Chevy M1008, 22 Axial SCX6
We camped by the river in july. It's hot during the day but the nights were great and the cold water is there whenever you need it. We spent all day out riding anyways so it wasnt an issue.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We camped by the river in july. It's hot during the day but the nights were great and the cold water is there whenever you need it. We spent all day out riding anyways so it wasnt an issue.
If that water is cold to you, stay out of the high elevations. Cool compared to 105° temps maybe, but I’d bet it’s pushing 70° at that time of year which is far from cold. It feels like bath water in my experience. To me it’s well worth the 20 minute drive up the hill to be comfortable, but to each their own.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Island District is about 6000' elevation, Hatch Point is about 5800' elevation. I've been to Moab in early summer and remember those areas to be cool enough at night for camping.

Update-
I've been to Utah many times but didn't really record the dates vs. the weather.

Years ago I was in Moab in early June, in my wife's Grand Cherokee. It was warm at lower elevations but we camped and had no problems with heat at night. There is a difference between low elevations such as along the river and high elevations such as close to 6000'.

Last May 20 I was south of Moab on Hatch Point. There was no problem with temperatures in general, especially at night. If you are out in the sun during the day it is pretty intense and you will want some shade or a wide-brimmed hat. I spent some time around Capitol Reef and there isn't much shade there.

My conclusion is that southern Utah is best from late March to mid May if you are hiking and tent camping. I don't think I would want to go past mid June if tent camping.

I'm about to re-learn the weather in the fall. Right now the forecast for Moab is about 50 at night to 75 during the day. I will be there for a week starting October 10 so I'm expecting similar weather.
Sponsored

Last edited: