Sponsored

E - save

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
When do you guys use e save? I had a 30 mile trip each way yesterday. It’s one road with highway and stop and go sections. On the way there I got halfway there and switched to e save for the highway section. Does this lock out the electric engine fully or does it switch on for acceleration? I was too busy enjoying the burst of speed to look at the hybrid page. I was thinking instead of hybrid mode favoring electric first, I wish it used hybrid till 45 then favored gas regardless of range. On the way back I was hybrid mode and was going ~65. That depleted the range pretty quick.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
It sounds like we’ve had pretty similar observations. I always use e-save on the highway to maintain current charge level so I can save the electric range for off-highway driving. It’s stop/go where the electric’s efficiency will shine. At constant higher speeds I think using the electric is a waste because the 8 speed transmission can get the ICE into a pretty efficient spot for pushing our boxes through the air.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
When do you guys use e save? I had a 30 mile trip each way yesterday. It’s one road with highway and stop and go sections. On the way there I got halfway there and switched to e save for the highway section. Does this lock out the electric engine fully or does it switch on for acceleration? I was too busy enjoying the burst of speed to look at the hybrid page. I was thinking instead of hybrid mode favoring electric first, I wish it used hybrid till 45 then favored gas regardless of range. On the way back I was hybrid mode and was going ~65. That depleted the range pretty quick.
On Saturday, I drove my new 4xe 250 miles back home in e-save mode with re-gen on mostly highway varying speed constantly between 50-80mph. I started off with 93% and after 5 hours of driving, I was at 86%. I'm not sure why I decided to not to drain out the battery, except I figured its a good way to see what happens at highway speeds with the 2.0T working hard with no battery support, lugging 800 lbs extra dead battery weight. The answer was 16 mpg. I did get it up to 90 a couple of times just to test highway stability so its not a true representation of what the 2.0T can do in this application.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
On Saturday, I drove my new 4xe 250 miles back home in e-save mode with re-gen on mostly highway varying speed constantly between 50-80mph. I started off with 93% and after 5 hours of driving, I was at 86%. I'm not sure why I decided to not to drain out the battery, except I figured its a good way to see what happens at highway speeds with the 2.0T working hard with no battery support, lugging 800 lbs extra dead battery weight. The answer was 16 mpg. I did get it up to 90 a couple of times just to test highway stability so its not a true representation of what the 2.0T can do in this application.
Interesting, I wonder why it went down? Did you switch out of e-save from time to time? I can get a few percentages back as I'm driving if I'm in save.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Interesting, I wonder why it went down? Did you switch out of e-save from time to time? I can get a few percentages back as I'm driving if I'm in save.

E-save, especially with max re-gen 'on' definitely saves and charges battery. However even with E-save the engine cuts out at stop lights.

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I'm running around town using E-save on Recharge mode after running the battery down to ~50% so that I can keep up on the engine break-in process. Considering I'm getting 24-28 miles pure electric from a 100% battery, I have to "create" reasons to drive it farther.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I did a 200 mile loop in the Cascades up here this past weekend and was able to go down to 50% then back up to 85% battery using a combination of hybrid and e-save at least 3 times before finally draining the battery to 10% on the last leg of the in-town drive home. I was actually surprised by how quickly the battery charged back up. Granted, however, that this was a mountain drive so there was plenty of downhill driving for which I took full advantage of with max regen.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
22.6 MGP driving from Daytona to Baltimore at 70-75 MPH. MPG Drops off a cliff when you start pushing it into the 80's and higher. Hybrid mode the entire time, no eSave/charging or anything else.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Your usage is sensible. For a 60 mile round trip it is most efficient to use the electric motor on surface streets and the gasoline engine on the freeway. In that scenario, you are using each power-train where it's most efficient. Electric motors are least efficient at highway speeds as gasoline engines are least efficient during city driving.

I usually leave it in Hybrid mode because most of our driving is surface streets and we usually don't venture more than 15 miles from the house. Exceptions when we are heading out camping. In those cases I select E-Save for the drive to the mountains and then select Electric mode while driving around the campsite or trails. I just prefer to be peaceful while in those areas and seem to enjoy the drive more with less engine noise or exhaust smell.

Some users might have restrictions on ICE vehicles so they would use E-Save for those purposes. Like driving into central London for example. I believe there is a 'permit' required to drive an ICE vehicle in the various city zones and that is quite expensive so switching to electric power while in the city could save a ton of money. Incidentally, that is really the only viable use case for the Charge setting in E-Save because it's really quite wasteful to use that setting to charge your HVB. If you have to burn gasoline to get to your destination then it's best not to also charge the HVB at the same time because the extra fuel spent is more expensive than the cost of charging the battery on a plug.

At some point we are likely to see similar regulations here in the States. I think San Francisco is considering something similar. There may be other cities planning adoption as well.....

Food for thought.
Sponsored