Sponsored

Power steering pump overheating issue on 2020 Eco diesel.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I had the overheating issue 2 times now. However I was aired down to 17psi, it was 112° out on Hell's Revenge and 105° on Top of the World 2 days later. Basically grippy as hell ground, aired down tires, and high ambient temps were the cause and honestly it kind of makes sense. Now that isn't to say those conditions on those trails shouldn't have been test bed number 1 for Jeep.

It never got hot enough I guess to show itself in terms of reduced performance but I also let it cool a bit when the messages came up.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I’m experiencing weak/hard to turn power steering when turning stationary. Stock 33 in ko2 392 couple thousand miles. Have the black steel gear box.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
I am having local dealer looking at it next week. I requested swaping my aluminum steering gear box for steel one. Will see if that change anything. I am waiting with mounting of my 40” Coopers. Don’t Want to give them easy excuse for overheating.
I had the steel gearbox put in and it did not help

OP
OP

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I had the steel gearbox put in and it did not help
I guess i am stuck with aluminum gear box. I went to shitty local dealership and they refused to do anything to it since it is "highly modified". I will eventually install some additional radiator. If i find good location for it. I wanted to get it done before mounting 40" tires. Aluminum box works good so I just leave it alone.

Sponsored

TeamToad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Got the "Power steering Overheat" message on Flint Seep switchbacks in the Maze last week.

I talked to my Jeep mechanic yesterday, and he said the Rubicon power steering already has cooling, so there isn't an upgrade he's aware of.

This is on a 2023 JLURD with 37 inch TAKO2s, pulling a trailer up the switchbacks and making 3, 5, and even a 7 point turn.

After getting up the hill, the message went away after 5 minutes or so.

ecotoad-power-steering-overheat-2023-1.jpg

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I talked to the Apex steering guys at easter Safari a few months ago and they said it was a problem with the electric power steering motor getting hot, not the fluid. I have the Apex steering kit and cooler installed and got the light with 37” tires aired down to 9 psi. I have since cut out the fender well around the pump to provide more air flow. I also had to have the pump replaced as it was leaking fluid after the light came on about 6 times. Hopefully providing more air flow will prevent this from happening again. My Jeep is a 2021 392.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to the Apex steering guys at easter Safari a few months ago and they said it was a problem with the electric power steering motor getting hot, not the fluid. I have the Apex steering kit and cooler installed and got the light with 37” tires aired down to 9 psi. I have since cut out the fender well around the pump to provide more air flow. I also had to have the pump replaced as it was leaking fluid after the light came on about 6 times. Hopefully providing more air flow will prevent this from happening again. My Jeep is a 2021 392.
We have the same model, tire size and apex kit installation. I’m now on warning light #4; I’ll start keeping an eye on the pump to see if a leak develops.

It’s good to know that it’s a motor heat problem and not the fluid. I was disappointed when the system overheated again after the Apex kit since I now have an oil cooler. I’ll see what airflow options I have; maybe just remove the entire inner fender if it gets hot again.

I did Yansing (Chinaman) gulch straight through without stopping yesterday. The power steering was done for half way through and I fought reduced steering power the whole way out; hopefully it didn’t cause too much damage.

Would a PSC hydro assist kit eliminate this issue or are we still limited by the electric overheat sensitivity?

Jwobes

First Name
Juliana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Eco Diesel
I have had this issue. But only when out on the trails on some really challenging terrain. Once I start going up and obstacles and try multiple lines, I do experience the power steering overheating. Its a pain the the ass because then the tires are incredibly hard to turn. Im talking like both hands yanking it and it still wouldnt go. I will get psc hydro-assist to correct this issue. It is a must if youre running 37's+.

Normal driving, I have never experienced it

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I have tried just about everything to keep my power steering pump from overheating. I'm on my 3rd power steering pump at 8,000 miles. I've cut the inner fender well out to provide more air. Installed the Apex power steering cooler and nothing seems to help. If you use your Tazer to run your radiator fan non stop if will certainly help. The loud noise of the radiator fan on high gets a little old after awhile. Last week I installed an electric fan directly in front of the power steering pump and it seems to have fixed the problem. I spent the week in Ouray, CO, aired down to 12 psi on 37x12.50 tires and never got the power steering hot light. I need to build a better bracket for the electric fan but I believe this is the fix for the power steering hot light.
SPAL 30103018 4'' 12 Volt Puller Low Profile Fan on Amazon for $53.95.

Power Steering Fan.jpg

Sponsored

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I have tried just about everything to keep my power steering pump from overheating. I'm on my 3rd power steering pump at 8,000 miles. I've cut the inner fender well out to provide more air. Installed the Apex power steering cooler and nothing seems to help. If you use your Tazer to run your radiator fan non stop if will certainly help. The loud noise of the radiator fan on high gets a little old after awhile. Last week I installed an electric fan directly in front of the power steering pump and it seems to have fixed the problem. I spent the week in Ouray, CO, aired down to 12 psi on 37x12.50 tires and never got the power steering hot light. I need to build a better bracket for the electric fan but I believe this is the fix for the power steering hot light.
SPAL 30103018 4'' 12 Volt Puller Low Profile Fan on Amazon for $53.95.

Jeep Wrangler JL Power steering pump overheating issue on 2020 Eco diesel. Power Steering Fan
Is this on an EcoDiesel? If not, do you know if fitment is the same?

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Is this on an EcoDiesel? If not, do you know if fitment is the same?
This is on a 392 but I believe all JL Wrangler power steering pumps are mounted in the same location. I used a 6 inch L bracket along with JB Weld putty to mount the fan to the bracket. The fan is a puller fan so I reversed the wiring to make it a pusher fan. I wired it to the AUX switch in the jeep as there is already wiring next to the battery for the switch. I will build a better bracket later but for now it seems to be holding up.

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
This is on a 392 but I believe all JL Wrangler power steering pumps are mounted in the same location. I used a 6 inch L bracket along with JB Weld putty to mount the fan to the bracket. The fan is a puller fan so I reversed the wiring to make it a pusher fan. I wired it to the AUX switch in the jeep as there is already wiring next to the battery for the switch. I will build a better bracket later but for now it seems to be holding up.
Awesome. Need more pictures!
Sponsored