4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

All depends on the dealer. I could easily see a dealer giving you grief based on some of the posts on this forum and other dealers won't even blink an eye.
Personally I would just buy the Z Automotive harness and call it a day. Avoid all the dealership BS and hassle and the reality that the new axle may fail with a week or never fail... but if that one fails and your out of warranty... you'll be buying the harness anyway.
Totally figured as much. I have my JL getting looked at for a few other warranty items and locker issue happened to pop up the day before my appt.

My plan is to see if they'll honor the warranty. If not, bypass cable wins until a real fix from Jeep comes out.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Well I guess I joined a club I really don't want to be a member of. I got this service light a couple of weeks ago. My son is a service writer at a Jeep dealer and has had it for 2 weeks now and they cannot figure out what's wrong. They've replaced the actuator, board, fixed some connectors. He's at his wit's end and now has to bump it up to Jeep. This really sucks. I love my jeep, but hate this computerized BS when it goes sideways and no one can figure out what to fix.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess I joined a club I really don't want to be a member of. I got this service light a couple of weeks ago. My son is a service writer at a Jeep dealer and has had it for 2 weeks now and they cannot figure out what's wrong. They've replaced the actuator, board, fixed some connectors. He's at his wit's end and now has to bump it up to Jeep. This really sucks. I love my jeep, but hate this computerized BS when it goes sideways and no one can figure out what to fix.
Have you shown him this thread?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Someone found out who makes them but you can't buy them. The sensor is a hall sensor that monitors the state of the locker. Z Automotive (maker of the Tazer) has a harness you can buy for $75 which replaces the sensor and basically feeds a "everything is groovy" state back to the computer so you can engage and disengage the lockers without issue.
The harness is $179 per axle , if they were $75 I'd buy them now for when mine inevitably fail.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The harness is $179 per axle , if they were $75 I'd buy them now for when mine inevitably fail.
Those bastards... lol. That used to be $75.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Those bastards... lol. That used to be $75.
$75 seems like a much more fair price. I get that there is R&D tied into it, but $179 seems a bit high. I had to bite the bullet because that is cheaper than them swapping out the axle and me having to regear again.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
$75 seems like a much more fair price. I get that there is R&D tied into it, but $179 seems a bit high. I had to bite the bullet because that is cheaper than them swapping out the axle and me having to regear again.
Even $75 was a bit much IMO. @chevymitchell built the same harness for $6.

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Totally figured as much. I have my JL getting looked at for a few other warranty items and locker issue happened to pop up the day before my appt.

My plan is to see if they'll honor the warranty. If not, bypass cable wins until a real fix from Jeep comes out.
Well - back from the dealer - they couldn't replicate the issue, so I've got it back.

Out of curiosity, do you guys think potting the sensor now (after it's displayed some intermittent 2H locked messages) will help stave off the issue?

Or just buy-once, cry-once and get the Z Locker OEM?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well - back from the dealer - they couldn't replicate the issue, so I've got it back.

Out of curiosity, do you guys think potting the sensor now (after it's displayed some intermittent 2H locked messages) will help stave off the issue?

Or just buy-once, cry-once and get the Z Locker OEM?
If you have already started to throw locker codes on your dash it's too late to pot.

SmallCheese

First Name
Cheesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Shame to hear about the locker issues, I tip my hat for those dealing with them.

Anyhow, I fixed my intermittent service axle locker light, my problem was a severed wire due to an over tightened zip-tie (from factory).

Symptoms: Intermittent "service axle locker system" message appearing on dash.
Location: Front Differential (zip-tie was directly above diff, front driver side)
Fix / Solution: Spliced in new piece of wire
Duration of work: 4 coffees

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 1632689611654

The harness affected was located behind front driver side tire, from engine bay to the differential. The specific zip-tie was located directly above the diff.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 1632689976184

Before I get too far, I will say this one puzzled me for a bit, (in terms of diagnosing) . I spent quite some time wiggling wires to see if I could prompt the light, to no avail, but opening and closing the back of the jeep would (at times) activate / deactivate the light. Go figure.

I was able to diagnose (partially) because of the Z Locker doohickey (I thought it was probably the sensor issue because extensively wiggling the wires did nothing). Plugged it into the back, nothing changed, intermittent light still activating. When I plugged it into the front, the light stayed on, meaning, that my moving of the harness unquestionably triggered the light, which was indicative of a broken wire.

Anyways, below is a pic of the harness in full, in case anyone needs a visual. 3 connectors total for full removal and inspection.

Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 1632691092875

Below is a pic of the exact location for the harness, if you are like me and need a lot of pictures.
Jeep Wrangler JL “Service Axle Locker System” Light On 1632692126661

Good luck out there with your rigs !

FWIW: If you have this exact issue, exact location, turn your tires all the way to the right for more access... took at least 1 coffee before my noggin started working.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This thread seems to show replacing the rear axel fixes the problem most of the time. Has the rear axel been replaced yet?
Replacing the axle is not a real fix because they are replacing it with an axle with the same sensor in it that is prone to failing. Until they fix the real problem... the sensor... this will continue to be a problem.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Replacing the axle is not a real fix because they are replacing it with an axle with the same sensor in it that is prone to failing. Until they fix the real problem... the sensor... this will continue to be a problem.
Yes, I know. But Jondrew was saying they replaced cables, connectors, etc. and that they couldn’t figure it out.
Sponsored