Modifying the 3.0 Engine and Exhaust to Delete Emissions, and Boost Power

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
Naive question: does removing the emission equipment result in a full rolling coal situation? Like the one in the video of the previous post?
nope but will make it impossible to trade it in for anything no dealership will touch it. mostly because they can't sell it to other dealers out of state and they will not want to spend the time putting back in emissions. all of that for like 50 torque you can get that back by regearing and that will be worth the time and money.
Sponsored

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
ecodiesel owners Canada has a delete tune ready for the JL/JT but I don't think the hardware is ready for JL just yet but should be soon. They posted it on Instagram but it's not on their main website yet.
Which company in Canada is this? I had the GDE tune on my 2017 Ram and loved it. Would love to have one for the JL.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have owned several deleted trucks. My new Cummins only has a pedal monster on it. After being burned a few times with lack of warranty due to deletes and then having major engine problems, its just not worth it. Compound that with the fact the trucks trade in value is piss poor because no one wants the risk. No one wants to work on them. The delete heydays are over.

My previous truck needed a complete engine to the tune of $15k...it would have been warrantied had I not deleted... That was on me:facepalm:
Truck before that needed head gasket and a turbo. That was on me.
I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be trading in for a new diesel pickup before the warranty is up. Just not willing to roll the dice anymore. I am on my sixth Ram cummins.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have owned several deleted trucks. My new Cummins only has a pedal monster on it. After being burned a few times with lack of warranty due to deletes and then having major engine problems, its just not worth it. Compound that with the fact the trucks trade in value is piss poor because no one wants the risk. No one wants to work on them. The delete heydays are over.

My previous truck needed a complete engine to the tune of $15k...it would have been warrantied had I not deleted... That was on me:facepalm:
Truck before that needed head gasket and a turbo. That was on me.
I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be trading in for a new diesel pickup before the warranty is up. Just not willing to roll the dice anymore. I am on my sixth Ram cummins.
Sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on needing a completely new engine, just because of a delete. Sounds like you went max power, and boost. Too much boost, too much heat, and you blow things up.
New head gasket and turbo, same thing. Try not to be vague, and be specific in what you did, to blow the engines. The "Cummins" not "Ram Cummins" engines are pretty bullet proof, even with a couple hundred extra hp and torque.
When you do these things, You Are Your Own Warranty.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on needing a completely new engine, just because of a delete. Sounds like you went max power, and boost. Too much boost, too much heat, and you blow things up.
New head gasket and turbo, same thing. Try not to be vague, and be specific in what you did, to blow the engines. The "Cummins" not "Ram Cummins" engines are pretty bullet proof, even with a couple hundred extra hp and torque.
When you do these things, You Are Your Own Warranty.
You shouldnā€™t talk when you donā€™t know the story. There has been a number of 6.7ā€™s that have had the grid heater bolt become loose and arc sheering the stud off, stud makes its way into cylinder #6 in my case and wreaks havoc. Itā€™s happened to guys that are bone stock. Trucks with less than 20k, trucks deleted and with 95k. Itā€™s runs the gamut. Head over to Cumminsforum and read up tough guy. Itā€™s not needing a new engine just because of a delete, itā€™s not having a warranty for something that otherwise would be covered but is not because of the deleteā€¦and the delete did not cause this issue in any way shape or form.
The head gasket was in the earlier days of tuning and drive psi was much higher than the newer tunes. My point is when things arenā€™t stock even with a mild tune and something goes wrong you foot the bill, and these diesels arenā€™t cheap.

you sound like an A hole correcting me
For saying Ram Cummins, Iā€™ve owned a bunch, personally and commercially. For all
You know I could be talking about my YT30
With the ISB.
How many have you owned?

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You shouldnā€™t talk when you donā€™t know the story. There has been a number of 6.7ā€™s that have had the grid heater bolt become loose and arc sheering the stud off, stud makes its way into cylinder #6 in my case and wreaks havoc. Itā€™s happened to guys that are bone stock. Trucks with less than 20k, trucks deleted and with 95k. Itā€™s runs the gamut. Head over to Cumminsforum and read up tough guy. Itā€™s not needing a new engine just because of a delete, itā€™s not having a warranty for something that otherwise would be covered but is not because of the deleteā€¦and the delete did not cause this issue in any way shape or form.
The head gasket was in the earlier days of tuning and drive psi was much higher than the newer tunes. My point is when things arenā€™t stock even with a mild tune and something goes wrong you foot the bill, and these diesels arenā€™t cheap.

you sound like an A hole correcting me
For saying Ram Cummins, Iā€™ve owned a bunch, personally and commercially. For all
You know I could be talking about my YT30
With the ISB.
How many have you owned?
Thanks for the clarification. Now we know the delete didnt cause the massive engine issues.
Me, I have owned two Dodge 2500's with Cummins Diesels in them. A 2000, and a 2006. I still own the 2006, and it is going strong.
FYI, if the engine model you have had, have inherit issues, then dont do mods on them. I know plenty of people with 6.7 Cummins, that have Delete kits, and no issues at all.
As for me sounding like an "A Hole" for correcting you, well, your post was very misleading. But, at least you cleared things up about your vague post.
Thanks.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Thanks for the clarification. Now we know the delete didnt cause the massive engine issues.
Me, I have owned two Dodge 2500's with Cummins Diesels in them. A 2000, and a 2006. I still own the 2006, and it is going strong.
FYI, if the engine model you have had, have inherit issues, then dont do mods on them. I know plenty of people with 6.7 Cummins, that have Delete kits, and no issues at all.
As for me sounding like an "A Hole" for correcting you, well, your post was very misleading. But, at least you cleared things up about your vague post.
Thanks.
Sometimes you are one of the first ones to discover the inherit issues. I was one of those lucky guys. I know plenty of people too with 6.7ā€™s too and have been quite involved in the diesel scene over the years. The failure is now frequent enough that if I deleted another 6.7, Iā€™d immediately do a grid heater delete and do an remote grid heater from GDP or similar. Problem solved.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes you are one of the first ones to discover the inherit issues. I was one of those lucky guys. I know plenty of people too with 6.7ā€™s too and have been quite involved in the diesel scene over the years. The failure is now frequent enough that if I deleted another 6.7, Iā€™d immediately do a grid heater delete and do an remote grid heater from GDP or similar. Problem solved.
To be honest, I rarely get on a Cummins Diesel, or TDR website anymore. I bought my 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel, because I didnt want all the potential issues with the 2007+ diesels that were coming out. The 5.9 Cummins was pretty bullet proof, and I want to keep it that way, no emission control. Other than some Catalytic Converter. That hasnt been an issue yet. But if it starts to act up, it will be yanked. I'm well past any warranty, and nobody checks anything for the State inspections. Stop, Start, working brakes, you pass. $7-$8.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
To be honest, I rarely get on a Cummins Diesel, or TDR website anymore. I bought my 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel, because I didnt want all the potential issues with the 2007+ diesels that were coming out. The 5.9 Cummins was pretty bullet proof, and I want to keep it that way, no emission control. Other than some Catalytic Converter. That hasnt been an issue yet. But if it starts to act up, it will be yanked. I'm well past any warranty, and nobody checks anything for the State inspections. Stop, Start, working brakes, you pass. $7-$8.
Yep, that was the one that got away for me... I had an 06 5.9 and wish I had never sold it. The 6.7 is a great engine, I just had a few bad experiences...some of which were a result of my mod choices. Others not my fault at all. Either way, I am still a die hard Cummins fan. I may still tune my 2020 , but the emissions will stay put.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that was the one that got away for me... I had an 06 5.9 and wish I had never sold it. The 6.7 is a great engine, I just had a few bad experiences...some of which were a result of my mod choices. Others not my fault at all. Either way, I am still a die hard Cummins fan. I may still tune my 2020 , but the emissions will stay put.
FYI, I have friends who have done minimal mods on their 2014+ Ford Diesels, and had great results, with large power gains. None have had engine issues after, 5+ years of having the mods.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Iā€™m a firm believe in not owning any first gen of a engine (vehicle). I like to see the issues worked out. The diesel emissions system is now about as much of a PIA as any 2005+ gas engine Iā€™ve owned. The federally mandated diesel emissions warranty has also made a huge difference. They just need to quit with this limp mode nonsense when there are emissions issues. They donā€™t make a gas car go into limp mode when there is an emissions code. I think Covid showed the EPA and CARB that which is why they are finally will to allow OEMs to change that programming. Itā€™s supposed to be temporary but Iā€™m hoping it will be permanent because supply chain issues arenā€™t going away.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
FYI, I have friends who have done minimal mods on their 2014+ Ford Diesels, and had great results, with large power gains. None have had engine issues after, 5+ years of having the mods.
Thatā€™s what ive heard. The new ford I am very interested in. Too bad theyā€™re so proud of them! Diesel and 4x4 and the trucks 60k with zero creature comforts.
If I could have gotten a Lariat for what I paid for my Laramie I would have tried it.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
This popped up in my news feed today. Just a reminder to everyone: don't be an asshole.

Do you somehow imagine that there will be anyone in the entire nation that will have a 3.0L Diesel that would even be capable of "rolling coal"? Any tuner offering modified programs for these things will be about more power, efficiency, and extra mpg's. I haven't seen any recent tuning (for years now) that people claim is smokey. Just struck me as odd that you think we need a reminder not to roll coal.

Or maybe I didn't get the point of the story? I mean I watched it and thought, "dumb kid being dumb". I just don't normally think of minors as assholes. Though I suppose they obviously can be.
Sponsored