Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JL with automatic, slams itself in park 1632327055635
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
my 2015 Ram 1500 had auto park, my 2019 Pacifica has autopark, my wifes 2021 CG L has autopark. its not new and not going away.

speaking of law suites

so I owned a dodge dakota RT with the 5.9l 2 dr bought new in 1998 (was a 99 model)

drove it for about 1.5 years. loved it (young and single) got a letter in the mail from chrysler or whatever it was called then i cant keep track.

there was a complete recall. reason was false advertising for towing cap.

because it was a 5.9l it had the power and torque to pull i think (dont remember) was around either 8k or 10k pounds. im leaning towards 8k.

but me having common sense (which isnt that common) knows that this small truck doesn't weigh much and you never to at max cap.

anyways short story long someone in the USA towed a trailer at the 8k or 10k limit. whatever it was and going down a mountain the trailer took over and killed the person(s). the family sued and won

so they had to offer to buy back the trucks which included any items you may have purchase for it as well due to it being reduced down to 5k lbs cap.

so i basically drove the truck for free for 1.5 years. I took the money and ran lol.

that's why hair dryers have stickers saying do not use in bath tub. because its all about liabilities now and companies covering there own ass.
This is one of the many anomalies in our increasingly ridiculous consumer protection system. Vehicles have tow ratings that are unrealistic in the context of human nature. The ratings require every element of the set-up to be optimized -- weight distributing hitch, no additional weight in the tow vehicle, trailer brakes that are properly adjusted and maintained, and so on. Although tow ratings in brochures invariably include an asterisk that directs the reader to all of the qualifying limitations, only a small percentage of people actually remember that, understand the significance of that asterisk, ensure the vehicle is properly prepared, maintain the related systems, and avoid additional loads in the trailer or tow vehicle. Collectively, these things represent an infinitely higher public safety risk, than the risk eliminated by "auto-park". Oregon is now averaging over 40,000 vehicle crashes per year. People lose control of tow-vehicle & trailer combinations all the time, and the crashes are often devastating because of the amount of weight involved.

The same is true in the RV world in spades. I'd estimate that fully 80% of the Class-C RVs on the highways are well over gross and well beyond the listed carrying capacity of the tires. When we shopped for Class C RVs five years ago I built a table that included the gross vehicle weight ratings and the maximum weight carrying ratings of the tires for each vehicle. Several of the RVs were well beyond the GVWR if the water and fuel tanks were full and four people were in the coach. ALL were well over-gross as typically equipped and used, and everybody involved in transportation knows this, but the RV manufacturers continue to build and equip these coaches with undersized tires and brakes. These vehicles routinely travel with more people, bigger people, ALL of the tanks full (often 150 gallons or more of waste at 6 or 7 pounds per gallon), several hundred pounds of camping gear, and several hundred pounds of food, beverages, clothing, and such. The vehicle I've just described is 10% to 15% over-gross before the family boat, loaded with fuel, toys, and gear is hooked up to the back of the RV. I see plenty of RVs that are 25% to 30% over-gross, often rolling on sun-cracked tires that are ten or fifteen years old -- because most people don't know that tires are into dangerous dysfunction, particularly when exposed to the sun, even if they're not accumulating miles. These vehicles crash all the time, and the constellation of errors that cause then aren't understood by most RV users. Somehow, an asterisk in a quickly forgotten brochure is enough to manage that risk -- but the rest of us need "auto-park".

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Why do I see soooo many replies to questions that have to be so impolite? So when I back my jeep out of my garage, to park in in my driveway (35') without a seatbelt, I am wanting to be an organ donor? When I pull it back in I am at risk of being an organ donor? I pulled my TJ behind and RV, and when I disconnected, and moved back 3', I should have worn a seat belt. Chill out dude and just answer his question, or don't reply. I have ridden a motorcycle for over 40 years. I can't tell you how much it bugs me when people ask me if I know how dangerous it is. Of course I do. But my Lord, I am not going to live my life wrapped in bubble wrap in my closet. When I go, my body will be worn and torn with great stories. Sorry off my soap box, I just don't get why you automatically assume he is driving down an autobahn at high speed from the way he framed his question.
See! This guy has it right, it is just ridiculous. We all know Wranglers canā€™t drive at Autobahn speeds šŸ™ƒ

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you know what ā€œuser interfaceā€ change caused Anton Yelchinā€™s death? (And the unusually high # of similar incidents)

It was because on that era Grand Cherokee, they switched from a traditional P-R-N-D shifter to a lever thing that you just push forward multiple times to cycle thru gears or pull down to cycle thru gears. There was no unique position that the shifter ended up in if you were successful in putting it in Park; the shifter returned to the center no matter what. This meant that to confirm that you made it in Park you had to check the dash indicator light.

Anton Yelchin and others probably tapped that shifter to push it forward... just not enough to successfully put it in Park. Without haptic feedback they exited the car without confirming it was in Park.

User error, sure... but made possible and arguably, inevitable by a completely unnecessary design change from a tried-and-true mechanism that could be operated blindfolded and that you could confirm what gear youā€™re in blindfolded (the traditional PRND shifter).

While Iā€™m not a huge fan of the gear selector knobs in RAM pickups, at least with them if I turn it completely counter-clockwise and it stops turning, I know itā€™s in Park. I donā€™t have to check a light on the dash. All of this is moot anyway though because I drive a manual jeep.

Now tell me, was that a wise design change? Ditching a shifter that gives you haptic feedback for something which requires an additional step to confirm that it registered your selection? You automatic drivers now have Autopark because of it.

My wife and I pull a trailer with her 4Runner and Iā€™m very particular about where my trailer ends up when Iā€™m backing it into its final resting place. If itā€™s like 3ā€ off, Iā€™ll get back in and fix it. I canā€™t see behind the trailer without getting out of the vehicle... and Iā€™ll be god damned if I close the door and put my seatbelt on every time I want to move that trailer an extra 2ā€ here or there. Luckily the 4Runner isnā€™t fucking obnoxious like the Automatic jeep and I can quickly and efficiently make my micro-adjustments. The only way to make this happen with camera and mirrors would be an aftermarket camera on the trailer but Iā€™m not going there (my brother in law has that for his 5th wheel though and there I feel it was a wise investment, that thingā€™s huge).
gee sounds like there is some other person standing around that can help you back the trailer up just fine.

It seems like you still donā€™t even understand what youā€™re trying to complain about. You donā€™t have to put on the seatbelt. Just shut the door.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
gee sounds like there is some other person standing around that can help you back the trailer up just fine.

It seems like you still donā€™t even understand what youā€™re trying to complain about. You donā€™t have to put on the seatbelt. Just shut the door.
gee, actually no there isn't, because it's one in the morning and my wife is trying to hold our two 70 lbs dogs on a leash at the front door of the air BnB while texting/calling the owner because the code we were given isn't opening the door, and we're seven hours late because an 18-wheeler turned over on the interstate and they shut the highway down, and my jeep is idling in the road while I try to make room for it by backing the 4Runner into the narrow driveway of this unfamiliar house in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and thankfully my 4Runner isn't interfering with this process by putting itself into Park against my will ........ do you get it?! (this is a rough approximation of a real scenario earlier this year)

To your second point - actually you're right, I don't know the ins-and-outs of Auto Park because I don't have to deal with it, having a standard transmission jeep. I just wanted to provide some context to this thread about the origins of Auto Park, specifically that it originated from the Grand Cherokee with the stupid toggle-shifter that killed poor Anton Yelchin. No one had brought that up (the physical characteristics of the Grand Cherokee's shifter).

Last edited:

Sponsored

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
I justā€discoveredā€ this ā€œfeatureā€ the other day. Jumped in and hit start, threw it in reverse and was still closing the door, (first time they were on in month suddenly Iā€™m slammed in park. Please someone tell me how to remove this ā€œfeatureā€!

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I justā€discoveredā€ this ā€œfeatureā€ the other day. Jumped in and hit start, threw it in reverse and was still closing the door, (first time they were on in month suddenly Iā€™m slammed in park. Please someone tell me how to remove this ā€œfeatureā€!
6MT swap.

I just switched to an AT and this is my least favorite feature šŸ˜

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
6MT swap.

I just switched to an AT and this is my least favorite feature šŸ˜
id have a manual but my wife canā€™t drive one and she drives the Jeep as well

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

id have a manual but my wife canā€™t drive one and she drives the Jeep as well
I feel ya. I was kidding about the 6MT swap. But mostly venting my frustration as well. It sucks when moving the Jeep around when working on it in the driveway.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
So, I scanned through all these replies. Wow, lots of theories, thoughts and opinions.

No one has mentioned:

If it goes into auto-park, you can apply the brake, put it into park and then back into drive to disable the auto park feature. Then you can move it, with the door open, if you want. Also, it will roll, in neutral, with the door open.
The dash display tells you this.

At least in my 2021 JLURD.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
So, I scanned through all these replies. Wow, lots of theories, thoughts and opinions.

No one has mentioned:

If it goes into auto-park, you can apply the brake, put it into park and then back into drive to disable the auto park feature. Then you can move it, with the door open, if you want. Also, it will roll, in neutral, with the door open.
The dash display tells you this.

At least in my 2021 JLURD.
Thank You!
Sponsored