Sponsored

Windshield replacement and recalibration question.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Something that has me wondering. If you have the forward radar module, when you get a glass replacement, there is an extra charge for "recalibration"

But, if I want to lower my windshield, I can put it down, and then use the FCA supplied cover to protect the radar. Then put windshield up and be on my merry way.

What exactly is getting recalibrated? Obviously I am not in the windshield business, but I assume I'm missing something here.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
So, by the lack of answers, no one seems to know..lol..glad I am not alone.
I have absolutely zero ideas why any piece of glass needs to be "calibrated". It should be plug and play...it's a freaking piece of glass. What the hell?

OP
OP
Dyolfknip74

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
@Dyolfknip74

Lots of info ... multiple posts on this forum regarding your questions... Use the search feature.
Yes, I did but never found exactly what happens on a "recalibration" I did find this that says you dont need it though:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/windshield-replacement-with-adaptive-cruise-control.2365815/

Maybe my GoogleFu is just crappy, but i cant find out why I can lower and not need a recalibration....I seriously not trying to be obtuse here, sorry.

I have absolutely zero ideas why any piece of glass needs to be "calibrated". It should be plug and play...it's a freaking piece of glass. What the hell?
I can understand the need for a recalibraion for other windshields, just not one that the consumer can lower away from the radar.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Yes, I did but never found exactly what happens on a "recalibration" I did find this that says you dont need it though:
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/windshield-replacement-with-adaptive-cruise-control.2365815/

Maybe my GoogleFu is just crappy, but i cant find out why I can lower and not need a recalibration....I seriously not trying to be obtuse here, sorry.

I can understand the need for a recalibraion for other windshields, just not one that the consumer can lower away from the radar.
I mean, it's not like I'm moving the location of my glass windshield? I'm not putting in glass with a different curvature and it if's OEM, it's exact same specs. I think it's just another way for some 3rd parties to make money! :LOL:

OP
OP
Dyolfknip74

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I mean, it's not like I'm moving the location of my glass windshield? I'm not putting in glass with a different curvature and it if's OEM, it's exact same specs. I think it's just another way for some 3rd parties to make money! :LOL:
You're preaching to the converted my friend....lol....

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
You're preaching to the converted my friend....lol....
Now I guess I'm glad I didn't order ACC. I've had to drive cars with it and didn't like it, either. I've always either turned it off or set it to the minimum thresholds. STrange that the ACC would know there's a new panel of glass up front and I wonder how badly it gets thrown off.

Here's an article that helps explain why it's needed. What Does It Mean to Calibrate a Windshield? | (centuryglasssc.com)
All I know is that my Garmin Dashcam doesn't need it and works very well for lane departure and to tell me when I'm tailgating.
Sponsored