Sponsored

Bought a 2021. Pick up next week. How to wash and care for soft top?

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I had a deal on a 2019 but it fell through. Worked out good for me, I found a 21 with my exact specs (except heated seats). Granite Crystal / Manual / Soft Top / 23 S / Tech Group.

So my question is around the soft top. And how to care for it.

1. I've been reading about cleaning with soap and water only, microfiber to dry.
2. Any protectant to put on? Or just wash, keep clean, then use the cleaner a few times a year.
3. Auto car wash - I've been reading threads - some have no issues others have. I'm pretty picky about keeping my cars nice, however I just don't have the time to hand wash the car only :( as I'm pretty busy plus have other cars that I only hand wash (this is my primary driver).

I'm excited to have the soft top, only takes a minute for top down driving with the kids. However the flip side ix the extra maintenance.

Any tips before I pick up. And how to best take care of this from day 1 would be very helpful.
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I had a deal on a 2019 but it fell through. Worked out good for me, I found a 21 with my exact specs (except heated seats). Granite Crystal / Manual / Soft Top / 23 S / Tech Group.

1. I've been reading about cleaning with soap and water only, microfiber to dry.
2. Any protectant to put on? Or just wash, keep clean, then use the cleaner a few times a year.
3. Auto car wash - I've been reading threads - some have no issues others have. I'm pretty picky about keeping my cars nice, however I just don't have the time to hand wash the car only :( as I'm pretty busy plus have other cars that I only hand wash (this is my primary driver).

I'm excited to have the soft top, only takes a minute for top down driving with the kids. However the flip side ix the extra maintenance.

Any tips before I pick up. And how to best take care of this from day 1 would be very helpful.
303 Marine Fabric Guard will help repel water and dirt for a few months per application on the canvas. You can see how well it works here…

As for the auto car wash…I gladly stay up past my bedtime cleaning my vehicles by hand and stay far away from car washes. Depending on how dirty the vehicle is I’ll even start with a gentle shower setting on my hose wand (increasing to stream spray) before using my pressure washer. The car washes (even touchless) will spray a little soap initially, then blast it with high pressure right away which may wreak havoc on the paint (especially true if it’s very dirty).

Regarding the soft top…in the 90’s I used to bring my soft top YJ through car washes all the time 🤦🏼 and had zero issues with the top itself. At least none that I can remember (that was 20+ years ago).

Last edited:
OP
OP

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thanks for the video! Yes, I'm going to do the 303 clean and protect.

I found a few additional videos and links here.

I'll probably use painters tape to cover the windows and point. I was even thinking of taking the plastic windows OFF the jeep, before applying the protectant. This way I would not get any on the plastic windows :)

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...stom-streetrod.html?highlight=convertible+top

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...-brush-how-clean-protect-convertible-top.html

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

I'll probably use painters tape to cover the windows and point. I was even thinking of taking the plastic windows OFF the jeep, before applying the protectant. This way I would not get any on the plastic windows :)

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...stom-streetrod.html?highlight=convertible+top

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...-brush-how-clean-protect-convertible-top.html
I have a couple bottles of the 303 sitting on my bench begging me to be applied, but I’ve been too lazy to tape around. Although…I just had a great idea of simply holding a large piece of cardboard over the body (for me it’s not going to be as much of a process as I’ve got the Sky One Touch :whew:) . Good idea to remove your windows for sure.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

Thanks for posting those links where it suggests vacuuming the dirt out first and using the correct brush. I would have never thought of vacuuming the fabric first.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I thought you were going to say wash and care for the Jeep. They are much more happy dirty. Weird but true!

OP
OP

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Thanks for posting those links where it suggests vacuuming the dirt out first and using the correct brush. I would have never thought of vacuuming the fabric first.
or just use a lint brush to get the fibers off

OP
OP

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I thought you were going to say wash and care for the Jeep. They are much more happy dirty. Weird but true!
yes agreed! however the top is expensive, so I need it to last a long time :). If I can keep us looking good and lasting longer for $30 in supplies then its a win - win

OP
OP

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I bought this to spray on the cloth seats, carpet, and mats.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Use Plexus on the softtop windows, works great. I take my softtop through the automatic car wash almost weekly. Windows still look good.
Gregj

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Removed the windows, and applied 303 with a small foam brush... worked very well, and a lot easier than taping off the windows....

OP
OP

R8RWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Use Plexus on the softtop windows, works great. I take my softtop through the automatic car wash almost weekly. Windows still look good.
Gregj
good tip - just ordered some.

How often do you use the Plexus on the windows? After every car wash? Weekly? Monthly? etc

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
good tip - just ordered some.

How often do you use the Plexus on the windows? After every car wash? Weekly? Monthly? etc
At least monthly. More often wouldn’t hurt.
Gregj

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Any tips before I pick up.
Congrats on the pending Jeep delivery.

1. I hand wash every part of a vehicle with a bug sponge. Its small size might add a few minutes to the job, but the fabric mesh captures the small bits that regular sponges will occasionally miss.

2. Plexus plastic polish for the vinyl windows, as mentioned, using only a clean microfiber cloth. A bit pricey, but it really does work. Your vinyl windows should be absolutely clean & dry before applying the Plexus.
2a. When dirty, the vinyl windows must not be cleaned with a dry cloth, full stop. A gentle wipe with a clean cotton towel, to dry them after being cleaned with a warm soapy sponge, will be more than sufficient.

3. Convertibles have no business in automatic car washes, IMO, even so-called touchless ones. This is a matter of opinion, but my conclusions are earned.

Free bonus tip:
Monitor the underside of the soft top for rub marks where the framework makes recurring contact when the top is in the Sunrider and/or lowered positions. Such marks, if they occur and if left unattended to, may eventually develop into perforations and surprise you during a rainy drive.

Pictures, please, when the new Wrangler gets home. :)
Sponsored