First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Yesterday, I wanted to test drive a diesel wrangler. According to a dealers website there were a couple rubicon’s on the lot so off I went.

Me - I am looking for a JLURD
salesman - So your looking for a right side drive. We don’t have any.
Me - Why would you think I am looking for a right ride drive?
slaesman - ooo, I don’t know
Me- Do you have any diesel rubicon’s?
salesman- no

I decided to call the next dealer by phone before driving across town.

Me- Hi, I would like to talk to a salesman that knows wranglers.
saleswoman- You can talk to a saleswoman, how can I help?
Me- Do you know what a JLURD is?
saleswoman- a URD? What is that?
Me- Are there any diesel wranglers I can test drive?
saleswoman- All wranglers arriving are orders only, no dealer allocations. Lead time is 90 days.

With the slowdown in inventory I am sure dealerships are loosing experienced salesmen that are seeking different jobs to provide an income. When I bought my JKU in 2013 my salesman was a jeeper. He knew gear ratios, axles, and options of all wrangler models. Today, it really helps to do your own research ahead of time.
Sponsored

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
Buddy of mine had similar experience when he recently ordered his Jeep. He’s going all in with a 392 XR and the very young salesperson didn’t know anything. Didn’t even know you could spec and order a Jeep. My buddy ended up going to 3 different dealers.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Unless buying a Rolex, I can see talking reference numbers with the sales associate. But the run of the mill slacker at the dealer, I wouldn’t expect them to know anything past JL and lucky if they know the basic performance specs from the brochure.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I had a receptionist 'correct' me when I asked for a salesMAN (out of habit since all previous cars were sold to me by men). Anyhoo, she said "I can pass you to a salesPERSON (?)", stating it like a question. She couldn't see me rolling my eyes.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I had a receptionist 'correct' me when I asked for a salesMAN (out of habit since all previous cars were sold to me by men). Anyhoo, she said "I can pass you to a salesPERSON (?)", stating it like a question. She couldn't see me rolling my eyes.
That would put me off, implying something you aren’t when trying to spend some money with them.

OP
OP
Megawatt

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
did you really ask for a JLURD? Unless you’re on forums that’s not a common phrase. Perhaps 4 door rubicon diesel would be a better start?
Asking for JLURD told me more about what the salesperson knows about wranglers. I didn’t waste my time and they could go back to kicking rocks in the empty parking lot.

Go to any Harley shop and model numbers are the norm. Most Harley salespeople know what a FLHR is. If Jeep salesmen don’t know their model designation of $60k+ vehicle they are trying to sell then they don’t know their product.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
did you really ask for a JLURD? Unless you’re on forums that’s not a common phrase. Perhaps 4 door rubicon diesel would be a better start?
There does tend to be a lot of turnover at the dealerships, so it can be a bit of a steep learning curve, especially since they sell 4 different brands.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Asking for JLURD told me more about what the salesperson knows about wranglers. I didn’t waste my time and they could go back to kicking rocks in the empty parking lot.

Go to any Harley shop and model numbers are the norm. Most Harley salespeople know what a FLHR is. If Jeep salesmen don’t know their model designation of $60k+ vehicle they are trying to sell then they don’t know their product.
Do you need them sale you the vehicle or process the paperwork at a price you want? That’s how I was when I was buying my JLR. I didn’t need my sales associate to know his product and don’t know if he did. I knew the Jeep in and out before even stepping foot in one… Watched hours of videos and read countless forums.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Ah, the recurring theme of the customer causing any and all of their problems because of idiot expectations. Haven't seen this before.
Thinking the same thing.... bought 9 jeeps... I guess Im not smart enough to ask for help like she did... i simply say "need a rubi" ect.... even I wasn't sure what she was asking for..

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

Be glad you didnt get a 392 noone knows much about them including service departments right now... but its the consumers job to do their due diligence before buying IMO. Shame jeep didnt gave a more informed staff to help you but you prob knew what you wanted anyways.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This

/thread
Sponsored