TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Ever had your hardtop hit by a falling mango? It'll scare the bejeesus out of you. :surprised:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
When I lived in Berlin 1989-1995, about this time of year the chestnut trees that lined the streets in my neighborhood would start to drop their, well, chestnuts. These chestnuts were huge, larger than the acorns I see here in Western PA. If one was parked under one of said trees, you could hear the periodic "THUNK" for half a block! When this "season" started, the prized parking spaces weren't those right in front of your house, the prized parking spaces were those that weren't under trees, at least until everything had fallen.

Lesson here: Don't park under nut-bearing trees this time of year!

As far as the continuing multitude of strange noises in OP's Wrangler, I agree that maybe an exorcist is needed. ;)

JeepFlyGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Same thing just happened to me JeepLeap! Sounded like somebody threw a log at the hard top. I was not moving either, in fact I was sitting in front of my gate waiting for it to open. On a ranch in the middle of nowhere with no one around. I seriously got out to see if someone threw something at the vehicle. There was nothing on the ground around the vehicle.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Same thing just happened to me JeepLeap! Sounded like somebody threw a log at the hard top. I was not moving either, in fact I was sitting in front of my gate waiting for it to open. On a ranch in the middle of nowhere with no one around. I seriously got out to see if someone threw something at the vehicle. There was nothing on the ground around the vehicle.
It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one. Good news for me, is it hasn’t happened since. Maybe everyone is right that it was simply an acorn but I’m telling you, this was more than that. And I looked around immediately after and nothing fell or bounced off, no dents. Nothing.

JeepFlyGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one. Good news for me, is it hasn’t happened since. Maybe everyone is right that it was simply an acorn but I’m telling you, this was more than that. And I looked around immediately after and nothing fell or bounced off, no dents. Nothing.
I’m gonna take the freedom panels off in a few to check for cracked forward mounting tabs.. there’s one other thing. Look at the seem on the outside back of the hardtop, that goes around the top and faces the sky, directly in front of the rear window- pics to come.. I’m wondering if some of the internal bonding in there broke. Seems the gap on the right side is about 1/16 wider than the left on mine. Might be normal stuff from the factory, but at this point all possible causes are being considered with this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I’m gonna take the freedom panels off in a few to check for cracked forward mounting tabs.. there’s one other thing. Look at the seem on the outside back of the hardtop, that goes around the top and faces the sky, directly in front of the rear window- pics to come.. I’m wondering if some of the internal bonding in there broke. Seems the gap on the right side is about 1/16 wider than the left on mine. Might be normal stuff from the factory, but at this point all possible causes are being considered with this.
Keep me posted what you find and would love to see photos of where you are talking. Then I’ll check as well.

JeepFlyGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With nothing else to go on I have to look at the seam.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof 36C6965E-F137-44BD-8678-9115B1667377

Jeep Wrangler JL Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof A728E4A1-3D48-4BF9-B72E-E0A87E1A7DB1

Possible problem side…

Jeep Wrangler JL Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof FBB753C8-811A-430E-98DD-CDD53B65866D

Jeep Wrangler JL Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof CE3ECF26-3E44-48C0-8717-99C06C2B6E7C

0CFE79EC-D6B8-4080-958A-71B094C21A7B.jpeg

JeepFlyGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump. So, does anybody else have uneven seams like this? Normal?

Fleet

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 firecracker, 23 trailboss DD, too many to list
We had a couple of juveniles by a trailer park up in the trees that were overhanging the highway dropping objects on vehicles as they went under them. Object hit the hood "dented, paint chipped Yukon XL" and up the windshield. Took a while to figure it out.

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
Just checked and didn’t notice anything.

I’ve got 1,000 miles on this Jeep. And I love it. But definitely a handful of tiny, strange inexplicable things that I’ve never experienced with other vehicles.

Here’s another one that happened today… all of a sudden pulling into my driveway, every time I turn the wheel it sounds like there’s a pebble rolling around inside it. I readjust the steering wheel column real quick (in out up down, etc.) and now it’s gone.
With regard to the noise while turning, see https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-noise-when-turning.9713/

A quick adjustment to the ball joint castle nuts solved problem
Sponsored